Home

Rerotating Brushes and 45 degree Clipping

RichDiesal

I'm making a map in which I need to clip a straight line down a 45 degree angle... so, I took my collection of brushes, rotated them 45 degrees and clipped the line I wanted...

All good so far...

The problem came up when I rotated the brushes back -45 degrees to get them back to their original position... for some reason (apparently due to the caulking somehow) the rotation was off by a few hundredths of a degree and causes the texture to overlap slightly... incidentally increasing my compile time by 26 seconds... 26 seconds for two clipped brushes.

Is there any way around this? Or some special technique to clipping on 45 degree angles?

I just don't know! :D

I wish I could help you, but I can't. :( However I do have a suggestion. Every time I ask a question about editing here at JK2.net, either people don't know, or they just don't wanna take the time and answer, which is fine because people have the right to do what they want. I have been posting at http://www.massassi.net and they answer my questions quite promptly.:) So try posting over there too and I'm sure you'll have better luck.

why are you rotating the brush to clip it? It's not necessary. Are you using the "x" button for your clipping tool? All you need to do is press "x" and then click the point 1 of the clip and then click point 2 of the clip. There is a 3rd point but I don't know what it's for. Any way after you click your 2nd point it will draw a line through the 2 points. Let me attempt to illustrate this.

______+___________

l l

l l

l l

l l

l l

l +

L_________________l

with the "+" being your 2 clipping points, this should create the desired 45 degree angle.

shift+enter to select the side you want to keep and then press enter to cut off the portion you don't want, or was it cntrl+enter, whatever.

Eh, nevermind, I figured it out. Actually, I did need 3-point clipping to do it... you see, I'm trying to cut a 45 degree angle DOWN a brush while still clipping across it. Try to create a flat 8 sided brush, smooth out the edges on the 45 degree angles, and you'll see what I ran into.

And damn, but 3-point clipping is confusing. :)

But it worked! Thanks for you guys attempts though. :p

Yeah, the 3 pt clipping is a gnarly monster. Not only do you have to select the right points, but they have to be in the right order.

The easiest way I find to do it is like this:

3 points define a plane. Find the three points on your brush that you want to be exposed after your clip, and use those as your three selections for 3-pt clipping. If it doesn't look like you'd expect, try the points in a different order.

TDS

Yeah, they just basically need to be the shape of a triangle on the plane that you want... I did it by placing two points at the first edge I wanted (in XY) and then switching to XZ to place the third point... then I moved points 1 and 2 up where they should be and switched BACK to XY to fix point 3.

Took about 3 minutes for each individual clip once I got the hang of it. Far more effort than I really want to go to in the future. :p

Archived