Home

Is useing a scipt cheating?

m64253

Hacks like that are not done through scripting, I should know as I do game programming. The normal way for someone to do something like that would be to hack the game dll file or the client's exe file. Also it depends on how raven programmed there game. Is force controlled by the local client or is it checked against the server? Hopefully the server has control over most things.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phew....

I was hoping that someone would eventually get to talkin about REAL cheating....

Yes, scripted moves destroy the learning curve.

yes DFA/Backstab spammers are annoying.

But if you take the time to get mad skills, you will be able to beat the vast majority of "cheaters" who are scripting.

and the small few who you cant beat?

may not be scripting at all.

Scripters CAN be beaten, most of them have no originality.

Its not cheating, it is just a crutch that hurts them in the end when they cannot adapt their strats when you kick their asses.

Snow

Zenroth,

I don't know what type of game programing you do, but it's very easy to change scripts with in the perameters of the game with out ever going into "exe" or "dll" files to change your game!!!

There are many little things that can be done on a open file game such as JK2, as was done in Star Seige...

It's called hacking! You can tweak the files! How do you think that there is so much hacking going on in games that are MP that you can join the server? If the exe or the dll files were hacked you would not be able to join the game unless the hacker was the host? But you can go in to a hacked game and get your brains blown out the left side of head by someone that has a knife (this is just for a example) when you are playing with hackers!

~Nomad~

Originally posted by NomadWR

This statment is of good mind. I agree with the "get used it" thinking, but that is only if it would stay at a simple level of scripting moves!

I have to say I agree with Nomad WR. This mindset is of a good mind. No matter how much I may rant about how scripting is cheating, it ain't gonna change. So the only thing to do is get used to it.

I think this'll be my last post on this subject...

uh....

I am not sure what you just asked....

I *Think* you asked about the config file.

You dont actually need to open it up..

got to the console in game.

from there you can bind things

(darn, I dont remember the command for binds, I havent used it since I bound taunt...)

someone else can step in here....

Snow

Scripting isn't cheating. It's part of any game. There's programmable mice, keyboards, joysticks that do essentially the same thing. So, I'm "cheating" by using my sidewinder software for what's it's created to do?

Everyone can script- no advantage is gained over another. Because you CHOOSE not to, does not mean it's unfair.

I use two scripts- one for toggling crouching/standing, and one for toggling walking/running. Cheating? Please, get over yourselves. I am by no means an expert. I surfed the web, and copied them word for word.

Scripting the backstab or manual, it's the move that's flawed, not in how it's executed. And no, I don't have it scripted.

I swear the ONLY to NOT get accused of cheatoing anymore is to let everyone beat you and come in last.

I look at it this way. If you have a conf file that is editable then it is not cheattng. Just like Counter Strike you can bind your keys to do like a jump/shoot at same time no cheatting there. And if you want to do the 360 slash when someone is behind you all you do is press back and your mouse key dam now that is real hard to do (Not) I just get tired of doing it and would like it bind to one certan key. how is that cheatting? Same goes for the back stab ect... It is not like you got to press left, up, down, mouse, back back to do a move. And they are all easy. So if you ask me Cheatting this is not. Cheatting would be like someone having like supper powers like can grab someone across the whole board or something like that.

Back to my question. I know how to bind the keys in the conf file no problem but I need to know what is it i bind? How do i bind both the back and the mouse on one key for a move?

Just the command would work. :D

Originally posted by Jonas Bach

roflmao...scripts are CHEATS and we all know it. anything that gives you an edge over the vanilla out-of-the box players besides patches, etc is CHEATING pure and simple. i can't even believe we're discussing this...hahahaha

Someone earlier brought up a good point though, there's hardware out there that will perform key-combos if you program it right.

Are those cheating? They are the same as scripting, but you PAID for the hardware so you could play the game better. (I'm playing massive devil's advocate here BTW) How are you going to control what peripherals a player is using to play the game?

I think most people don't think a script to toggle run and walk is cheating, or one to change your saber colour. I think at this point we're discussing scripted MOVES over scripting itself. We've already determined that the programmers left the tools to ALLOW scripting, the question is if you should or not.

Most skilled players don't care one way or another, as no script can do what a skilled player can do.

n00bs can get owned by scripters, because they don't have the skill to fight back, and a scripter in general will run rampant over a server until people twig to him/her.

Your comments definately reveal your opinion, and it's one I share, but as to our discussing it? Wake up bud, this is one of the hottest threads on the forum...it must mean something to SOMEONE, or we wouldn't all be here hashing it out.

Just remember the hands skin was left in game by accident or just missight. Same can be said for the ability to script your moves.

Saying 'well you can do it, the designers must have wanted us to do it' is just a easy reply for the lower count of brain celled people out there.

Personally I don't care if you script or not, skilled players always win out on top. I find those that do script moves like backstab and the jump/lunge need to have things script because they really lack the skills to react on time and properly against the skilled players. So I say let them do it, they are very linear in what they do in a fight, use that to your advantage.

LMAO @ Sartis.

Please take the tme to read the entire thread.

We have discussed designers intent already.

Something as hugely important as a config file is NOT "left in game by acciednt or just missight".

it is an integral part of the Q3 engine....

lower count of brain cells?

...... please say something original before you attempt to insult us with your spam.

Scripted moves, while lame, are A-OK!

Snow

My opion is If it is editable with any txt editer then to me it is not cheatting (Conf files that is)

If they wanted to make it part of the game and did not want it edited then they would have made it so.

But anyway...

So this is what you are saying. Any scripting is cheating hmm

So if i bind the key F1 to change my name in game I am cheatting?

or if i bind a key to F2 to change my team I am cheatting?

ect...

If that is so then you all are cheatting. Because when you set up your cont Guess what you are doing? (You are binding your keys)

Do you have a button on your keyboard saying jump? no oh what about duck? Oh i know what you got one that said attact right? Still no hmm then explane it to me?

Binding your keys is not cheatting. Cheatting is aimbots, Supper powers, wallhacks, ect...

combos of keys set to one key is not cheatting so get over it. And it has nothing to do with who is skilled and who is not.

Tempy:

I have seen that thread.

Saber lock binds fall essentially into the same catagory.

I think that they are lame, but fair to use.

Saber lock scripts are even less usefull than bound saber attacks, since saber locks occur so infrequently.

again, lame, but OK to use.

Snow

Man, you're a hard one to convince.... :)

Just because they're infrequent doesn't mean they don't happen. I mean, this is a perfect example of a scripted move giving an UNBEATABLE advantage to the person using a script.

If two scripters lock sabers, it comes down to who CODED better. Just curious, but how would two people using the exact same script break a saber lock? Is there a time limit that, when expired, causes the lock to break in a tie?

Well I guess to put this one to bed would be to say this,

There are those that will "Hack" a game, and think nothing of it, and those of us that know how to "Hack" a game and won't due our views as online gammers!!! (Honor)

~Nomad WR~

:duel:

Honor LOL A game is nothing but a game and if you want to go around calling people cheaters for kicking your ass (Like everyone has done before) The point it this The more you bitc* about this the less time you got to play :) so just play the way you do and get over what everyone elts dose. :D

Tempy:

It is not a cheat because of 2 things.

First off, a person clicking fast enough can still beat the script.

Secondly, it will not turn itsself on or off, meaning you have to do that. In addition, from what I have seen/heard it is hard to make the script stop exactly when you want, eg. it can bet very hard to go after the person you just beat to the floor, and could even leave YOU open to a counter attack.

Thats why those are ok :D

And yes, after a certain amount of time the lock is broken with both ppl getting knocked back a few feet, IRC

:D

Snow

"Honor LOL"!!!

Yes this is a game. So is life!

Honor is not just a word, but a way of life that is rarely taught, or learned any more these days...

Cheating is not something to get over! Cheating is something that people like me don't have time for in a game, or life...

But "Master Guru" laughs at the word "Honor" hmm. Good luck in life with that way of thinking "MG"...

MG, there is a saying that I have lived my life by (in life and in game) it goes like this, " Death before Dishonor" I learned that saying many years ago... It was forced into my mind, and has (ever since then) been the way I do everything. I've not regretted one moment of my life since then...

~Nomad WR~

:duel:

I'm not saying that editing of config files were left in game by accident, but I am saying the reason they are in game aren't what your saying they are. Right now to me your sounding like the developers have meant for everybody to make lunge, and saber clash scripts.

I wouldn't go as far to call scripting cheating, it's more exploiting than cheating.

But like I said before its an easy cop out for those less skilled. Oh I'm sure there are skilled people that use scripts. But the majority aren't skilled.

The only real difference I see scripts are they are faster to get off a lunge, and win 99% of saber clashes. But that makes them predictable they tend to spam lunge or whatever scripts they have setup alot.

Anyways, we could argue about this for another 20 days or we could just agree that some of us don't need scripts and others do.

Archived