Home

End to the rumours about no next patch ( official )

Ascari

I read on a thread that someone mailed Mr. Gummelt about a next patch and he said that there wasnt going to be a next patch. So I decided to write an e-mail to mr. Gummelt myselve and here is how he responded:

E-mail:

Thank you for your time and quick response,

This might put an end to the rumours on the forums.

Sincerely,

Paul Rispens

>From: "Gummelt, Mike" <******@ravensoft.com>

>To: 'Paul Ris' <paul_rispens@hotmail.com>

>Subject: RE: Jedi Knight 2

>Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:14:50 -0500

>

>Can't say either way, that kind of decision is not made by me. If there is

>not a patch, I plan on working on a mod on my own time. And you *can* quote

>me on that if you like.

>

>Michael Chang Gummelt

>Gameplay Programmer: Jedi Knight II

>Raven Software

>http://www.ravensoft.com

>

>

>-----Original Message-----

>From: Paul Ris [mailto:paul_rispens@hotmail.com]

>Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 7:59 PM

>To: ******@ravensoft.com

>Subject: RE: Jedi Knight 2

>

>

>Let me start of by saying Hi!

>

>I just read the most disturbing news on the lucasforums moments ago in which

>

>they quoted an e-mail from u, in which u said that there will be no more

>official patches for JK2.

>

>

>I certainly hope this is just a hoax created by this user.

>

>

>

>In awaiting for your response,

>

>

>Sincerely,

>

>

>Paul Rispens

>

>

>

[/Quote]

It's comforting to know. The reason about the official patch is that it is not Raven's call entirely. LucasArts has a say in it. Though I wouldn't think either company would leave a faulty product out there (the backstabs are oversights, they were supposed to be nerfed along with the rest of sabers as comforting at that is, ugh)

So even if no official patch makes it out, we'll get our fixes. I think by mod he means self-created patch.

Woohoo is all I have to say.

Raven does not seem to release a lot of patches for their games. They only released 2 for Elite Force and the second was used for the expansion pack to bring the original up to the same version number. I would say we may get 1 more patch if we are lucky but I do not think we will see it too soon.

Just when I'm thinking we'll never get a patch, even WORSE happens.

They actually go and make a patch that really *(*@#'s things up.

Thanks once again.

And no, i'm not a newbie that has trouble killing by any means. If they wanted to get rid of "1 hit kills" they just made that situation three times as bad with other problems thrown in.

They actually go and make a patch that really *(*@#'s things up.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Either you're talking about 1.03, in which case thats old news. Or.....

You're talking about an as yet nonexistent patch (1.04?), in which case you have no real grounds to be saying this, as we havent the foggiest idea what's going to be in this patch.

ShockV1.89

I've a feeling Raven will release at least one more patch.

At least, I hope they will, after I informed them of two bugs, one of which could be considered a cheat. And no, I'm not going to go into details until I hear whether there is a v1.04+ or not.

I think Raven would have to be pretty ignorant and foolish and inconsistent to not release another patch, so I have a good deal of faith that they will. That being said I'm not sure how much stock I put into this email, as I've read a few fabrications at this point...

I'll say it again for those who are deaf... (vestril, flippo, i'm looking at you)

Almost NO developer does a patch unless they are getting paid for it. It is the decision of the owner of the license wether or not the game gets patched. The fact is, a developer cannot stay in business if they use their valuable company time doing things that they aren't getting paid for.

Mike being dedicated enough to actually take his own personal time to improve the game is definitely a rare thing in gaming.

Originally posted by Xombie

I'll say it again for those who are deaf... (vestril, flippo, i'm looking at you)

Almost NO developer does a patch unless they are getting paid for it. It is the decision of the owner of the license wether or not the game gets patched. The fact is, a developer cannot stay in business if they use their valuable company time doing things that they aren't getting paid for.

Mike being dedicated enough to actually take his own personal time to improve the game is definitely a rare thing in gaming.

Exactly, that's why I cant understand why some people would fake e-mails of him saying that their will not be another patch.

Originally posted by Xombie

I'm sorry, I seem to be missing your point? What exactly am I deaf about?

Should I be more appreciative that Raven patched in the first place? I'm very appreciative, their intentions were marvelous--their execution was piss poor.

Am I supposed to believe that this will be the last patch Raven puts out? If that's what you think you really haven't been paying attention. When Raven released 1.03 and tweaked the game around they set a precedent--they essentially said 'we are willing to tweak this game' and by making the changes so drastic, and so obviously related to the complaints of the community at large, they also said 'we are going to make it a game tailored to you, our users'

This was a mistake, I believe--it's impossible to satisfy the community, because no matter what they patch, someone will be pissed off, but because of 1.03, they would be out of line if they didn't patch it--that was a buggy and imbalanced release, and again, our precedent on the matter is that Raven will cater to our needs.

Was I deaf because I ignored the noble actions of our friendly neighborhood programmer? First off, you must be deaf if you're ignoring the strong possibility that someone just made this up. I mean no offense to anyone here, it's just that there have been a lot[/] of emails from Mike Gummelt that weren't really emails from Mike Gummelt. Secondly, I agree that its an amazing thing, where in my email did I say I thought it was a usual thing?... I think it would be a remarkable thing, and it shows an amazing level of dedication to customer service--IF it's real (and to my mind that's a big if).

So...let me know if I missed your point or something :)

I have $50 + saying JK2 better be patched.

I have another $50 + that can either go toward SOF 2 or another non-Raven or non-LucasArts game.

Raven/LucasArts will make my decision for me - patch the game or I buy games from other dev teams and publishers.

I don't care how much money it takes ..

How much does a reputation cost?

Is it up to Raven or LucasArts?

I don't care who is responsible at this point.

Raven is developing the game and LucasArts is publishing it - whether they pay or beg LucasArts to accept another patch is their problem, not mine.

I'm tired of who is to blame or what. Whether it be LucasArts or Raven.

If I don't see another JK2 patch that fixes the problems, I will not purchase another game from either of them again - it's that simple.

Archived