Home

A newb's take.

JR128

HI. I just bought this game 2 days ago and only played it for 5 hours that first day unpatched. then on the second day put the patch in and played for 3 hours. My conclusion was that there was no real difference, except for the way I saw people fighting with sabers. Now I know what you players that have been with this from day one are thinking, you don't know what you're talking about newb. I'm just saying that the game seamed good to me and other new players shouldn't have any problem with this patch... we don't know the difference yet. But for you guy's that have been here for awhile, a patch that affects stratagey that your used to is just bad in your eyes. I think you are just going to have to cope with whats going on for now. It was probly all the complainers that change the way you liked the game, they are the one's voicing there opinions to the company.... not the satisfied. So all you can do is try to be helpful not a big flaming ranter that thretens to quit when things don't go your way.

Now this may get flame because I am a newb here, but I'm only saying this from experience with other games. WW2O, Asherons fall, UO (beta), Half life, Tribes, CS, Quake 1 2 &3, the Dooms, Duke Nukem, Castle wolfenstien, Mule ( who remebers that game?), Xcom, all the Xwings, Serious Sam, RS, and many others...

I've heard almost all the things there that I'm hearing hear. It's just that players don't like to change a style once they get set.

That's it for now, after all I'm just a newb.......

But I do plan on killing many of you soon

JR128

aka. Dark Ryno

I installed the game about half a week ago and I never even played without the patch I got it before the game was done installing. I really don't see what everyone is bitching about. The game is FINE. Yeah, the back stabbing could be annoying but Ive only seen about 3 people doing it.

In the old version (1.02) the sabres didnt even touch eachother

sometimes and theres was almost never any sabrelocks, it wasnt exciting. it was allso much easier to get frags bcoz the sabers didnt hit eachother, u hit the body instead almost all the time.

the patch (1.03) is alot better u block more and theres more sabre smashing it makes the dueling much more exciting and star wars looking.

As one who played for about a month before the patch, allow me to add something.

The biggest issue lies in the fact that pre-patch, defense consisted of moving to avoid getting hit (although the hit detection was a bit screwy) or being totally offense minded. Certain moves/strikes were pretty much guaranteed to inflict damage, or even result in a frag.

Post patch, with the added blocking capabilities, strikes that used to connect don't anymore, unless the person is WIDE open.

It's easy to say 'just learn the new style', but a lot of people put in a lot of work to develop their abilities in the old style. Also, it's not as easy to actually hit someone with the patch installed.

Myself, I actually prefer the new patch. It's a lot more cinematic, but the fact that you can't take advantage of a clear opening is problematic. For example, you swing from left to right in medium stance, leaving your left side open. I should be able to strike you on the left side, but the new saber dynamics will auto block for you. Now, if you had the ability to initiate the block yourself, I and others wouldn't have a problem. It's the auto block 'range' that's the problem.

Fights lasting 5 min are cool. Fights lasting over 15min (I had one last nite) are not. This was NOT on a duel server, btw, but a FFA saber server. We were at it for almost half the time limit, dispatching interlopers along the way. We moved from area to area on the map, throwing everything we had into the fight, not wanting to quit after all we had put into it, and after all that we both got blind-sided by an ass-fighter.

Under the old patch, the same fight would've lasted about 5 min or so tops, what with all the surgical strikes we were both attempting to land (and would have, pre patch).

Still, I think the patch is a good one overall. Just shrinking the range of the autoblock would quiet most of the people complaining about it.

Just my 2cents...

Tek.

Still, I think the patch is a good one overall. Just shrinking the range of the autoblock would quiet most of the people complaining about it.

It would certainly quiet most of my complaints :)

All things considered it wasn't that bad of a patch, unless they intend it to be the final release...in which case I'll be fairly dissapointed---personally still consider the game to be fairly buggy, and filled with potential exploits.

clearly you do not know what you are talking about.

the big problems that people have with the game has nothing to do with the blocking/attacking aspect of the saber battles.

the big problems people have deal with the force powers, and guns

the usefullness of both are completely gone in competititive gameplay.

the exploits are glaring and frighteningly easy to access.

people who knew the game, had no trouble finding these.

as newbs you only need to play enough games before you find a server with experienced people to either show you, or frustratingly demonstrate it on you.

none of you would have any doubt as to the problems with the patch if you were in a match with me.

raven needed to learn that people who complain about dying too fast are not the ones to be listening to. its the ones who complain about killing too fast that must have been adressed.

this new version is changed so much, it is a mod.

the dark side is unplayable. guns are unplayable. ctf is unplayable

ff duels are unbalanced, ffa ff is unbalanced, all mods that came with the game are unplayable, nf duel is better.

thats 1 out of 7. good job raven! way to miss what was broken and change what wasnt. (weak was weak for a reason. you paid for medium and strong. that alone shows how people of the "sabers are unbalanced" ilk do not know what they are talking about)

i will say this, you are just a newb after all. so are the other posters here. you have nothing to compare to nothing.

Originally posted by Nathan Wind

oh yeah, i forgot about that. i was too busy thinking about how force powers were f'd

your right.

its all bad. 0 out of 7

:rofl::lol::rofl:

That was just...too hillarious. 'It had one redeeming quality' 'oops, no, it didn't' hee hee hee

Originally posted by m64253

There is no saber trow is NF duel

Just servers on 1.02 configs

That's the official line. But then explain to me why it is when I try to create a NF Duel with just bots, they and I have Saber throw. I never touched any configs, I don't know how. Do you have to be an advanced user to create a *real* NF duel? If so, I would say that its a bug, not a result of user stupidity.

I'm a newbie and I dont have a problem placing strikes on the weak points. I think the lack of damage feedback is what is confusing people. There is no way to know if you nicked them or put them within 3 hp of their life. Without damage feedback it's impossible to really evaluate your tactics unless you win.

I was playing against a friend while talking on the phone so we could compare damage. There are definately some lucky blocks and lucky hits but that is not completely unrealistic. For the most part a well timed hit caused damage. A well timed Red hit caused a lot of damage.

In a few days of playing I can win 70% of my duels using nothing but vanilla strikes. I've gotten pretty good with the Red hits and I can easily back off any spammers.

There is nothing as satisfying as a well placed Red swipe just cutting through a foe who is trying to use a bunch of fancy one kill moves.

That's the official line. But then explain to me why it is when I try to create a NF Duel with just bots, they and I have Saber throw. I never touched any configs, I don't know how. Do you have to be an advanced user to create a *real* NF duel? If so, I would say that its a bug, not a result of user stupidity.

Thats weird do not happen do me when i start a NF bot server

Nathan,

Sorry if my long post didn't cover the areas yours did. I got this game for the sabers, so that's my 'angle'.

You're right about CTF, and Guns. But, if you look at most of the posts in this thread, most people are talking about saber play.

Personally, all I play are Saber FFA/Team FFA and Duels. The other modes I leave to others, since they don't interest me....

I like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Saber play; I'll leave the other modes in your hands...:D

Tek.

Blocking I consider to be buggy. When someone can block from nearly behind them, that's way too much. OR as previously said if person your attacking swings left, and yoiu attack right, it should work, but it don't.

Some saber moves such as the backstab, need to fixed, because backstab and backsweep are bugged. They're area of damage is far wider than what the animation appears to be, much like DFA was in 1.02. I'm not suggesting we tone down the damage, just make it more inline with the actual attack animation which clearly shows a backstab for instance going straight back. Which should not imply you can kill someone in front of you with it, or kill someone that kicked you to the ground while you we're on the ground.

1.03 patch IMHO was a good improvement to the game. It did in fact make saber battles more interesting, as it made it a neccessity to get closer to your opponenets (unless your a throw whore). But, the blocking was overdone, which kinda of makes getting closer suck ass anyway.

Force powers are another story. I seen no reason to change them at all. And I certainly don't think the force changes they did make we're good. I hate drain grip whores as much as the next guy, but now drain is useless. Much like heal is. I OWNZ DARKSIDERS.

So although I consider 1.03 changes made in the right direction. It still needs tweaking, some bugs still need to be fixed. If they (Raven) don't release another patch, then I'd suggest we all become flaming lamers and bring down these blasted forums with our hatred. Let them see our darkside. I like 1.03 over 1.02, but by no means do I consider this done.

*pats the smart newbie on the back*

just ignore the whiners and trolls, you seem like you would make a good player. they just wish their old moves would work, the patch makes the game more newbie friendly, so what apears to happen actually does.

oh, and just respond to whiners with a

:violin:

Yeah well I am a newb as well. I think the game is awesome. Sure it sucks relearning, I play flight sims and have for years, IL2's last patch screwed the flight models and everyone had to relearn all the planes in that game. Because of that, I can relate to the frustration of "starting over."

Wether a new patch comes out or not, you can enjoy them game and do what you must to develope techinque that works, or whine about it.

I will put in the time to learn and if another patch comes out and I have to relearn again so be it. Being new and dying alot doesnt bother me because its a game. In that, I play it to have fun. If you cant have fun why play?

I have put in about 4 hours a day on servers over the last three days and have met some great people in this game. I am sure a lot will be playing this game for a long time and I look forward to being a part of that group.

My experience in multi player sims has been that those that whine do so because they either take the game to serious forgetting it is just a game or they feel the need to talk about how good they are on the forums.

Play the game, have fun and lose the negativity. Life is to short to spend it in a negative frame of mind.

D4

Archived