Home

technologies in the movies, old or new?

Star ReaVeR

well I've been watchin the phantom menace yesterday, and most of those vehicles and spacecraft look very advanced when compared to Episode IV, is this done on purpose, or is it just because of the special effects? I really wonder because in episode IV some of them look really old compared to the vehicles in episode 1 (goin to see 2 this evening)

I think it is more of a way to distinguish between peaceful times, and times of war.

When there is no war, things are designed with more of a aesthetic look, they are designed for looks, and not necessarily action. Everything has a classical, smooth flowing design about it. By the time of the creation of the Republic Army/Navy, we see the more straighter lined battle cruisers.

By the OT comes to being, the ships are designed for war and intimidation. Who cares to make things all smooth and flowing when all you care about is trying to kill the others.

I think it is also GL's way of showing what is relatively good and evil. In essence the good have the more rounded designs. The Imperials have a lot of angles, and especially the interior design is black and white - colourless to show that they are one huge war machine, and evil at that

Bcanr2d2, thanks i was looking for an explanation that would satisfy me for a long time ... and yours was very good, i like it. Now i'll use it and will stop wondering about that aspect of the movies...

Seriously tks!!:D

Don't thank me, thank GL for his little spiel at the start of the SE videos, that is where I got his explanation of the Imperial colours - remember that black and white are tones - therefore making the death star colourless....

There are a lot of little things in all SW movies that are signs to where each thing lies, on either good, evil or none of the above.

Compare the design of Maul's Sith Inteceptor against TIE Fighters, more angles, with the side panels like a TIE.

If people look deeply enough, no text, or objects are there just for the sake of it - except where ILM has some fun!! - There is usually a meaning for everything in his universe.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

I think it is more of a way to distinguish between peaceful times, and times of war.

When there is no war, things are designed with more of a aesthetic look, they are designed for looks, and not necessarily action. Everything has a classical, smooth flowing design about it. By the time of the creation of the Republic Army/Navy, we see the more straighter lined battle cruisers.

By the OT comes to being, the ships are designed for war and intimidation. Who cares to make things all smooth and flowing when all you care about is trying to kill the others.

I think it is also GL's way of showing what is relatively good and evil. In essence the good have the more rounded designs. The Imperials have a lot of angles, and especially the interior design is black and white - colourless to show that they are one huge war machine, and evil at that

An extension of this is the mon-calmari capital ships [rebel aligned] which are allegedly very curvacious and flowy, as juxtaposed against the star destroyers, which are triangles.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

dang you beet me to it I was gonna say that exact same thing :)

Archived