The Announcement

Guest Darth Crater

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theahnfahn

Was it me?

------------------

And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn

Guest Darth Crater

Thank you beaver, but this topic has cooled off considerably. If you've been here, you should have kept posting on it! Anyway, I don't know if there's any hope of catching up with the word association thread in the Cantina, anyway! That Riddler! wink.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest wizzywig

Hey, The Announcement thread is back!!

Here's a story (purportedly true) that was just emailed to me today. Thought everyone would enjoy it:

A Charlotte, North Carolina man, having purchased a case of rare, very expensive cigars, insured them against get this... FIRE. Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of fabulous cigars, AND having yet to make a single premium payment on the policy, the man filed a claim against the insurance company. In his claim, the man stated that he had lost the cigars in "a series of small fires." The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason that the man had consumed the cigars in a normal fashion. The man sued... and won. In delivering his ruling, the judge stated that since the man held a policy from the company in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure the cigars against fire without defining what it considered to be "unacceptable fire", it was obligated to compensate the insured for his loss. Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the judge's ruling and paid the man $15,000 for the rare cigars he lost in the "fires".

*** Here's the funny part ***

After the man cashed his check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of arson. With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used as evidence against him, the man was convicted of intentionally burning the rare cigars and sentenced to 24 consecutive 1-month terms.

--wiz

Guest Darth Crater

<font size=8><font color=gold>Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

<font size=9><font color=orange>IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

Guest theahnfahn

Crater threads are so rare. Let's try to keep this one going. Unlike that rather bland Word Association thread (sorry Joker), we need to shoot for quality, not quantity.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/9883/sloth.htm

------------------

And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn

Guest wizzywig

Ah, well. As I said when I intro'd the piece, "purportedly true" (which means "probably bogus"). Thanks for the info, Kurgan. As you say, though, it's entertaining to ponder.

--wiz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wizzywig

I just came across a great quote:

"You're aware the boy failed my grade school math class, I take it? And not that many years later he's teaching college. Now I ask you: Is that the sorriest indictment of the American educational system you ever heard? [pauses to light cigarette] No aptitude at all for long division, but never mind. It's him they ask to split the atom. How he talked his way into the Nobel prize is beyond me. But then, I suppose it's like the man says, 'It's not what you know...'"

--Karl Arbeiter, the former grade school teacher of Albert Einstein

alberteinsteinnyahh.jpg

Guest Jat`Kidal

finally been able to get my face out of those darn blasted books. they`ve done my head in. so hoz ya all doin. ahn any new times??

i see nothing can stop this thread. even the god threads come to a stand still, but not The Announcement.

------------------

"May the force guide us"..if there is such a thing.

Guest theahnfahn

The God thread was not at a stand-still. It had so many posts it just disappeared the other day.

Try beating these times for BTC:

1:35.880081

------------------

Archived