Home

duel_kamino

RichDiesal

Blah, I had the wrong name for the planet, so maybe that's why no one responded. :p In any case, repasting:

Ah yes... I have begun the grand process of duel_kamino.

Right now I am in the midst of designing a slew of custom textures to match the platform as shown in a clip of Episode II that I have... um... acquired.

I also have the basic design worked out in my head, I just want to get the textures designed (and make sure what I want to make is possible) before I actually begin making any detail to the map...

The major problem I'm having is with the skybox... I used Bryce5 to make a basic water/sky environment, but I can't get it to create panels that match up together when put into a skybox. I turned off Sun/Camera linking and am rotating the camera 90 degrees (with a 90 degree field of view) for each side, but unfortunately, it is rendering all four (lateral) sides of the skybox the exact same... meaning the clouds don't match up. Also the top and bottom don't match AT ALL to the rest of it... looks very much like it's a box and not a rounded sky.

So basically, either someone help me figure out what's wrong, or make me a Kamino skybox... I have tentatively just used stars, so I may end up just using that.

I will also be adding lightning scripting once the JK2 Scripting tools come out... it will be acompanied by a rain and lightning mp3 for background music (I think I have a way to get rain to work in MP, but I must screw around with it further.)

Otherwise, the texturing is going along well... As of now, I'm projecting this to be a 3 or 4-week project, so be on the lookout for future updates.

::UPDATE::

I have the main dueling platform's geometry finished (it took FOREVER... it's a 36-sided brush (not a cylinder, tho it looks much like one) with fully beveled edges (to simulate the main platform in the movie... I'm going to add the first subplatform next and then the tower.

You can see the platform prototype (just the geometry and shaders I made, the center texture will change and there will be a little bit more light, though not much) here:

http://web.utk.edu/~rlanders/kamino001.jpg

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will eventually be the platform where Obi Wan and Jango have it out (when Slave I escapes).

And I couldn't use patch meshes because I had to bevel the edges of the platform down... I wasn't aware that you could bend a patch mesh sideways (in another curve) in order to accomodate that. :)

It's hard to see, but the top of the inner circle of lights actually curves down to the outer circle.

That'd be like a patch mesh on a patch mesh... hehe.

And I may be making this into a full length SP map myself eventually anyway, so I'll just keep that my own project. :p

I already have another SP map I'm working on, I've just put that project on hold until I can get scripting tools to work.

It was about 4 hours of 3-point clipping. :mad:

Ah well, I will try pulling them all around like that for the rest of the areas. :D

EDIT: DAMMIT, that's so much easier. Wish I'd known that first time around. Oh well, thanks for the help. :D

Thanks to Antilles' guidance on patch meshes, I scrapped everything I had! WOO!

In its place, I have replaced everything with patch meshes (Everyone cheer for actual curves!) and I think it looks a lot a better (took a lot less time too).

Expect a huge update within two or three days... should have almost all of it done by then, less the entity/shader weirdnesses that I'm going to try.

Also note that the texture in the center of the picture isn't the final one... I'm in the midst of recreating the top of the platform that Slave I was on which will be in the release.

If anyone can make me a (good) Kamino skybox, I will be forever in your debt and sing you a thousand praises in the readme. :D I could make it myself, but I'm having a tough time getting it to look good after I pull it from Bryce, so without one, that will mean this map will be released later! I am a perfectionist when it comes to these things, and this map will not be released until it is exactly as I envision it. :p

In any case, enjoy the pic! I'd just like to point out the difficult-to-see curve down from the outer lighting ring... it looks nicer in game than shown here.

http://web.utk.edu/~rlanders/kamino002.jpg

I think it's just more likely because it's easier to manage bevels than endcaps. :) I managed to scootch (oh yes, scootch) the vertices just perfectly so that there is a total lack of sparklies! WOO!

And there will be two versions of this map... I'm going to include a duel_ map which will be with full bot support and a sp_ map which will include the full graphical power that I was aiming for... rain and cued lightning strikes if I can time it right. :)

Heheh... Glad I could help. :)

The most important thing I found when working w/ curves was to always make sure to manually move the vertices. NEVER resize or 'bend' a patch mesh. That just moves the vertices off of the grid, and makes it next to imposible to get them to join together nicely. If you make sure to keep all the vertices on standard grid points, you shouldn't have any problems.

Originally posted by RichDiesal

Well it keeps framerates low. :p

Not neccessarily.

A single curved cylinder will be much faster in game than using a high number of brushes to make the same effect.

Despite the warnings of nearly every tutorial I've ever read, quake3 curves are actually quite efficient and unless you get really crazy (which you can do with even just normal brushes) suffer almost no performance hit.

Originally posted by RichDiesal

and a sp_ map which will include the full graphical power that I was aiming for... rain and cued lightning strikes if I can time it right. :)

Yay!:thumbsup:

Like he said, brushes can cause probs. Like that temple map, awful framerates, simple map.

Ahh yes, very true...but that's mostly if you have Z-buffering problems and I NEVER have Z-buffering. As I said, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to mapping so everything is caulked, textured and clipped correctly down the pixel. :D

And the lighting isn't even done yet, I just plopped a light down so that you could see what it looked like. I'm just putting all the geometry together before I like it.

This map is in alpha stages. Don't expect anything with proper lighting for at least a weekish. :D

EDIT: Antilles, are those skyboxes on Wadfather free for public use or do I need to ask the person to use his work? The only ones I'd consider using are in the 1999 era and I don't know if I could get to them. :D

Also, is there any way to shorten an end cap or bevel? In other words, I want a 90 degree arc to be an 85 degree arc, but with the same proportions as it originally had... any easy way to do that? :)

Yes! This map sounds awesome! I'd also love to see this in the AoTC TC that is being worked on. You guys should also definitely just use a rain mp3 as an ambient sound, have the lightning be a dynamic sound that occurs when the lightning actually flashes, and use the music "Jango's Escape," from the soundtrack for the level's music. That would totally rule!

Bah, don't give away my plans. :p

Anywho, I still have one major problem... I can make a workaround if necessary, but it won't be true to the film, so this would be nice...

I will repeat since no one answered. :D

Is there any way to shorten an end cap or bevel? In other words, I want a 90 degree arc to be an 85 degree arc, but with the same proportions as it originally had... any easy way to do that?

If you clip, nothing happens.

If you move vertices, it just moves the 90 degree arc around... doesn't actually take a SECTION of the arc.

I know that I can remove the endcaps I already have and make the whole damn thing with simple patch meshes, but surely there is an easier way?

After I get this figured out, I can add in the entrance platform and you will have another update. :D

Archived