Home

stupid question...how do I set my IP?

merlinova

I know this question is stupid, but I'm just starting out. I'm trying to run a non-dedicated server, but I don't know what to put in for IP. Does this change everytime I connect, or does it stay constant? How do I find out what it is? Thanks...

I'm not a professional on this subject but I do know that if you connect using dial-up then your ISP assigns a different IP from its pool each time you connect (in most cases anyway).

Go to your start button click run then type in winipcfg to find out your IP address.

Are you sure you typed it right? It should be in your windows folder. What Windows do you have? Perhaps its not included in some versions .

For the case you can't get it to work there's another way to find out your IP. Start JK2 , activate the console (shift +key left to 1) and enter showip .

Why don't you go to the forum for dedicated server? People there have more experience on setting up a server. Also Windows XP and Windows 2000 don't have winipcfg, you can only use a DOS based program ipconfig.exe. You have to call the Command Prompt and type ipconfig on C:\> when the computer is online.

I kind of have a question about that. everytime I sign online and run 'winipcfg', it's different everytime. If I run it offline, it's all 0's. What does that mean exactly? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm a tad bit PC illiterate with stuff like that.

All 0's means "I don't have an IP address". If it changes every time when you get online that means your ISP is assigning you a DHCP, or dynamic IP. It's supposed to change every time. :) If you want the same IP address every time you connect you can probably purchase a static IP from your ISP. Expect to pay alot for it though.

Archived