Home

"Superman Dilemma"

Cow_JK:O

Since I've heard a lot of people (RL friends especially, though some on these boards) wonder why both Sith and Jedi use their force powers so sparingly when they could be pulling and pushing left and right.

Well, there is an answer. This 'Superman Dilemma' has been a major topic of discussion in some places when issues like this arise. When a writer gives a hero or villian extreme superhuman powers (the force, for example), we arrive at the dilemma.

Given these powers, and their logical use, there would be no storyline because the powers are just ridiculous (example, superman has SUPER strength and can fly at light speed right? so why doesnt he just kill all the villians at the speed of light!, or why didn't the Jedi just force push all the battle droids into oblivion, etc. etc.) so something has to be done. There are 3 (really more like 2 options). One, which GL did with another option, is to make a moral code prohibiting tons of use (Jedi code sort of thing). While this sometimes works, it certainly doenst for antagonists and it still is only a short-term fix.

So the writer arrives at two possibilities if he or she is to put meaning into the story.

The writer

A) In almost every story, creates something that will make the hero unable to use his force powers (ala superman)

or

B) For no apparent reason, the heroes and antagonists use the force powers sparringly.

As anyone can see they're both sort of...stupid, but in most people's opinions, B is superior.

This is common sense to some of course, but I thought I'd point this out to those who dont see any reason why the Sith dont just run into a room and just lightning everything :p

"For no apparent reason, the heroes and antagonists use the force powers sparringly."

Well I'd say the apparent reason is it takes great concentration. Something you don't have while using your reflexes with your lightsaber to stop lasers and other lightsabers.

Another possible reason is that it consumes energy. Enough that if you were to use it to much, it would drain your stamina, making you defenseless in battle.

Thats true but doesnt apply at all for the superman situation and barely applies in the force. Who cares if you're drained as long as your opponent(s) are dead?

As to great concentration, sure, but the jedi masters dont seem to have a whole lot of trouble.

Of course, but, for example:

One of my friends said something to the effect of "Why didn't Dooku/Palpatine just run around in that field of Jedi and lightning their asses off?"

You dont need your saber up for that and it certainly seems these Jedi Masters have little trouble sustaining lightning (Palpatine in EP6 only stops to say something)

Ah yes, but remember how easily the lightning was countered? Of course they could try other force techniques, but in the end "It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided with our knowledge of the force, but rather our skills with a lightsaber."

Yeah but a lot of those Jedi could barely deflect blasters much less lightning. Remember Anakin got owned by the lightning, only obi and yoda stopped it.

EDIT: Palpatine also screwed up Luke quite efficiently too.

"Yeah but a lot of those Jedi could barely deflect blasters much less lightning. Remember Anakin got owned by the lightning, only obi and yoda stopped it.

EDIT: Palpatine also screwed up Luke quite efficiently too."

Well from what I saw Lightning is very easy to deflect, if you are wary and on guard. Maybe running around with Lightining would work on some less skilled Jedi.

Anakin rushed into battle, thinking they were going to duel with lightsabers.

Luke didn't have his lightsaber at the time. (Threw it away)

Well, using the force drains your stamina and your concentration, you have to concentrate to use the force, you don't see any jedis pushing/pulling and so on WHILE saberfighting. Only darth Maul channels obi-wans fury into a push, but he can only do that because it was a one-on-one.

They can't do several things at the same time. If a jedi tried to push a battle droid under a withering hail of fire, he'd get severely toasted. They aren't supermen in that respect, they can just use the force when concentrating.

Look at yoda when he lifts the huge pipe-thingie from anakin and kenobi, anyone could have walked right up to him and strangled him with little effort. And if 10 battledroids where pointing at him, he'd be waste. Also, he's really tired after doing it, and it definately drained him of power.

As to why they don't use it in public, it's because they don't want to be hated/exposed. If jedis used the force in front of everyone in public, they'd be flaunting their power, and people would start to rebel against them, everyone would fear them and so on. The Sith desperately wants to stay hidden, and using the force would get them noticed pretty quickly by the jedi and public.

plus remember when anikin is using the force to levitate the orb and fruit in from of padame he says. "Obi wan will kill me if he saw me doing this" (or something like that)

I dont think Jedi are suppose to use the force just for show like circus acts or magicians:)

Only when duty calls.

Archived