Home

How many of you want the single player source code?

Scarlet Widow

Have you a need for the single player source code for Jedi Knight II?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Have you a need for the single player source code for Jedi Knight II?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don\'t care

You can add new NPCs using npcs.cfg, but they'll spawn with the ST rifle. This is easily solved with the SET_WEAPON command in an ICARUS script.

Also, if you run it as a mod (extract to gamedata/yourmod and select it in the Mods menu), it will not change the default game/other people's levels.

Originally posted by jipe

You can add new NPCs using npcs.cfg, but they'll spawn with the ST rifle. This is easily solved with the SET_WEAPON command in an ICARUS script.

Also, if you run it as a mod (extract to gamedata/yourmod and select it in the Mods menu), it will not change the default game/other people's levels.

Sounds cool, are there any tutorials on this? But I only wonder why it didn't work when I tried to make a .npc file for the vader model. The game always told me there was no spawn function for the character. It's also the question which class to take for a new character when making a .npc file (equivalent to npcs.cfg). Please note that I'm talking about single player, not multiplayer bots.

We all would appreciate it if you had further info on this. Making real mods as you mentioned hasn't been explained to us so far (or maybe I just missed some essential posts). Putting a sp level pk3 for example in a mod directory doesn't have any significant effect.

best regards

What is this?!?!? C'mon people!!! I'm *positive* there are more people than this who want all those cool SP mods people have in their minds!!! Vote yes, y'all.

I don't know if this little poll of ours really matters, but hopefully some Raven people read this: We need SP mods!!! For the coolest mods, we need the source!!!

I see no reason for Raven not releasing the single player source code and I think they should. Honestly though I wouldn't care that much if they never release it. I'm with Tchouky on this one. Multi-player is where the most fun is and where the majority of great mods are made. Single player can only last so long.

Quoting myself, posted earlier in *this* thread:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't release the single player source because it's tied to the exe -

unlike the vms which are complete separate.

-James

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the answer is no - not now, not ever. It's not that Raven/LEC don't want us to have it; it's just not possible..

Also ingame-cenematics = a certain must!!

Can be done with scripting... Has nothing to do with the source code.

We are attempting to do our mod w/o the source code. It would be a nice plus to have it, but you can already modify a huge amount of stuff w/o it as well.

Take for example: weapon models. It's already been proven to replace a Weapon model. I have my bryar pistol replaced with the standard Imperial pistol. You can also modify the fire and rate of fire.

Another example: The Main menu. Mostly every image on there (sans the options) is a shader. You can edit those. I have already. I'm already in the works to replace the JK2Logo model on the main menu with that of an Imperial Symbol. (That one is a model, kinda funny huh?)

If you've got an sp mod or series of sp levels planned you can do so much editing w/o the source code, but I second that the source code should be released... I think it only fair. It would be a large plus to all the sp mods being worked on. Really, our mod is really now just a series of sp levels with a storyline, cutscenes, the whole bit, so I guess you could call it a mod, since it does modify the game in many ways. But we hope to have a fun series of levels and some interesting cutscenes and a new location too.

just my .02

volrath

• 3 weeks later...

Raven would never release the SP source code because if you were a game dev. would you A. buy a game engine or B. get a good one for free. Raven makes their money off of the SP engine not the multiplayer engine. thats why you will never see the SP code.

Volrath is right, there's still a lot that can be done. Sure, we're stuck with the force powers we already have. Sure, we can't add something like case sabers [case meaning fighting with two blades], which makes me truly sad since I'm a case fencer. Sure, we also can't get a good TPM TC going because of the lack of a double-bladed saber. We can't get new fighting styles [*drools at the thought of using Carolingian or Flourentine, let alone the Kogan style, with a pair of lightsabers*].

So now I've dwelt enough on what can't be done. I'm not going to say what can, because Vol covered it fairly well. I voted yes on the poll, but I have no doubts that we will never see this SDK. People, please, read what some of the others have said. The code is not legally theirs to release, and even if it was that would be giving their competitors free tools for their next project. It's not feasilble legally or financially. I don't mean to be rude to those who have said "I don't see why they don't," but this right here is why.

So, that all said, I'm gonna dive back into my gmax tutorials and try to work on my first model. And if I ever finish it, I'm going to skin it. Cause I can do that. And hopefully by then, someone will have posted a beginner's guide to Icarus, including where to put a spawn script so that you can npc spawn a new model without replacing an old. And then I'm going to send my model into glorious battle, probably to lose his head or other various appendages. And you know what? That's okay, cause I can just respawn him. And I will be happy.

The worst part is the fact we can't make new weapons fire differently to the way they do eg. we can never make a concussion rifle...

Pretty much everything is possible though - that's the main thing that will harm the Dark Forces Mod and the JK TC - is the fact we can't have new weapons nor make enemies fly :( At least, not to my knowledge...

I mentioned this on the other thread [the JK1TC thread] but I think flying enemies should be possible. In a way, Kyle flies in JK2, and there are flying enemies. While it might not be possible to get a humanoid npc to fly well, it could be something at least.

Even if we get Maw to fly though, I doubt we'll get to see his signature move, a "clothesline"-style spinning lightsaber. I let you know the moment I figure anything out.

Originally posted by The_One

The worst part is the fact we can't make new weapons fire differently to the way they do eg. we can never make a concussion rifle...

yes you can. modify the graphics for the firing and then modify the weapon's model, firing time, ammocount, etc. in the weapons.dat. Sure it won't say "Concussion Rifle" when you select it (which i dunno if that is changeable has anyone figgered that out yet? i dunno if they're graphics or they're actually based in the source)

Originally posted by volrathxp

yes you can. modify the graphics for the firing and then modify the weapon's model, firing time, ammocount, etc. in the weapons.dat. Sure it won't say "Concussion Rifle" when you select it (which i dunno if that is changeable has anyone figgered that out yet? i dunno if they're graphics or they're actually based in the source)

Cant change damage,

Cant change (in)acuaracy,

Cant change projectile speed,

Cant change splash damage,

Cant change bouncyness,

Cant change penitration(like for the charged Disruptor),

= No weapon mods worth spit...at least that i can think of.

Archived