Home

Hyperspace...how does it work?

Guest Dorsk8199

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tie Guy

Wellm, you can talk to people in hypersapce, and you can send transmissions with a hypercom unit. I'm not sure whether you can see each other, but you can talk to them.

Guest Admiral Odin
Originally posted by Darth_Rommel

You would be moving way to fast to see any other vessels ;)

speed is realative. If you are going at the same speed you will see the other one just fine.

Guest Kavam1

Just to clear up a little it is possible to maneuver in hyperspace but only a Jedi can do it (Courtship of Princess Leia) to put it in layman’s terms the person use the force to fly around mass shadow, and it’s not possible to talk in hyperspace (Black Fleet Crisis)

If any one doest understand what I’m talking about just say it and ill type a long post about it just say the word

Originally posted by Kavam1

Just to clear up a little it is possible to maneuver in hyperspace but only a Jedi can do it (Courtship of Princess Leia) to put it in layman’s terms the person use the force to fly around mass shadow, and it’s not possible to talk in hyperspace (Black Fleet Crisis)

If any one doest understand what I’m talking about just say it and ill type a long post about it just say the word

Well, actually the Hound Tooth can change directions in Hyperspace :)

Hyperspace ...

Just hit 'N' on your keyboard and target the Nav Buoys. Go that way and when you're within 5.5 clicks hit spacebar and you're on your way in hyperspace ...

Yes, I have a new computer and am currently very addicted to X-Wing Alliance ... Die TIE-Fighters ... DIE DIE DIE !!!!!

Guest Gamma732

I don't think you can turn in hyperspace. Remember Han bragging about making the Kessel Run in less then 5 parsecs? He did that by flying straight down a line that was closer to the Maw cluster then is thought to be safe....if they were able to turn, wouldn't you think they'd just 'steer' around the black holes?

Guest Kavam1

Kvan guess I shouldn’t have strong manned that argument now should of :) ? Well there could be other exceptions that break the “only Jedi can navigate in hyperspace with out being nav computer assisted” rule

Gamma I’m probably wrong but I’m pretty sure there are no Jedi smugglers that worked the Kessel run and if I remember correctly Jedi don’t usually use the to navagate hyperspace to taxing on there bodies or some thing haven’t read that book in a couple years

Guest Tie Guy

Here's another argument for why they can turn in hyperspace. If yuou could, why would you need a nav computer. the point of having a nav computer is to go directly from one point to the next without stopping to reconfigure the new coordinates.

Guest Tie Guy

hmm, maybe it has something to do with the different gravity fields in hyperspace. Maybe they are pulled through hyperspace by gravity. Only a guess.

Tie Guy if you go at light speed at .00001 degrees off will be probably a light year off of target or so that could put you in a grav well of a sun, planet, etc so to change angles in hyperspace would probably be suicidal if you weren’t sure of what the margin of error was plus hyperspace isn’t a exact science IIRC (if I remember correctly) when a war fleet goes into hyperspace it looses up its formations so that when it comes out they won’t crash into each other when they come out

And from the X-wing books you get catapulted into hyperspace from your engines, but I don’t really understand it ‘cuse then how does a hyperspace engine matter you just need large real space engines to go really really fast

Guest Tie Guy

That's what i was saying, that it would make a big difference since the distance is so great.

Oh, and what a hyperdrive generator does is twist realspace using gravity. If you look at the hyperdrive in Eps I then you will see that its not a propulsion device, it simply changes gravity, allbeit on a small scale. The drive is used to open up a different "realm" that has a much different gravity field, and somehow allows the ship to go faster than normal using some form of propulsion.

That is also why larger ships generally have a slower hyperdrive rating, cause they need to change the gravity in a much larger area than a ship the size of an X-wing, and they have to keep it up throughout the flight or they will be reverted back to realspace. therefore, larger ships taker larger generators that take up more power, and are often times slower.

Guest Gamma732
Originally posted by Kavam1

Kvan guess I shouldn’t have strong manned that argument now should of :) ? Well there could be other exceptions that break the “only Jedi can navigate in hyperspace with out being nav computer assisted” rule

Gamma I’m probably wrong but I’m pretty sure there are no Jedi smugglers that worked the Kessel run and if I remember correctly Jedi don’t usually use the to navagate hyperspace to taxing on there bodies or some thing haven’t read that book in a couple years

Jedi smugglers?? :confused: I said Han did that....and he did, he even says that in the movies.

I understand what you are saying but hyperspace isn’t real space or anything like real space it’s another dimension where FTL (faster then light) travel is possible and larger ships need stronger hyperdrives because they have more mass so it’s harder to build up the inertia needed to move

Guest Tie Guy

Yes, you are correct that Hyperspace is another dimension. Just read the "Black Fleet Crisis" and it says that something dropped in hyperspace can neer be found again. But you are wrong that they generator are when build up the inertia and makes larger ships slower. The hyperdrive generator is not a propulsion device, you saw it in TPM, its inside the hull with no outlets. If you read the "Black Fleet Crisis" you will read that the hyperdrive generator twists realspace until hyperspace opens up. hyperspace doesn't open up magically when you go fast enough or something like that.

Guest Admiral Odin

I think about it this way. Speed of Light may only be a constant, and things can travel faster, except we can't detect them. So far man has yet to reach the speed of light so we don't really know...

Hyperdrives

Our Star Destroyers can easily traverse our galaxy in a matter of a few weeks, with travel speeds of over 1 million times the speed of light. However, hyperdrive does have some limitations; a ship travelling in hyperspace cannot fly through a star, and it can be affected if it passes by high-energy events such as supernovae ("without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"- Han Solo, ANH). Entry into hyperspace and travel through hyperspace are accompanied by interesting visual patterns, as seen below:

Some Federation cultists have taken to claiming that Star Wars Imperial ships need months to traverse the galaxy, but it must be noted that Darth Vader summoned bounty hunters from the core worlds (including IG-88 who always worked in the core sectors) to the isolated Outer Rim Hoth system and those bounty hunters arrived, all while the Imperial fleet was still in the asteroid field. To travel from the core sectors to one of the outer rim sectors would be a journey of at least 30,000 light years, and the bounty hunters must have made the trip in two or three days maximum. This works out to a speed of 3.65 million times c. Further evidence for this scale of hyperdrive propulsion speed comes from page 145 of the ROTJ hardcover novelization:

"The vast rebel fleet hung poised in space, ready to strike. It was hundreds of light-years from the Death Star --- but in hyperspace, all time was a moment, and the deadliness of an attack was measured not in distance but in precision."

This scene takes place after Skywalker is captured by Vader (in the wee hours of the morning, just before dawn), and the Rebel fleet arrives shortly after Skywalker enters the Emperor's overbridge. This means that the Rebel fleet covers at least 200 light years (hence the term "hundreds") in the approximate time interval required to transport Skywalker from the surface of Endor to the Death Star in orbit. We know from ANH that a typical starship can easily achieve orbit in much less than half an hour, because the Death Star was 30 minutes out of position during General Dodonna's briefing and the X-wing crews had manned and prepped their ships, achieved orbit, and then circumnavigated several hundred thousand kilometres around Yavin to attack the Death Star before it was in position. Therefore, even if we include the time required to load Skywalker aboard the shuttle, land aboard the Death Star, and travel to the Emperor's overbridge, Vader could not have taken longer than 30 minutes to make the trip. This means that the Rebel fleet must have been travelling at speeds of at least 200 light years per half-hour. This works out to 3.5 million c. Here is a quote from Dark Force Rising, pg. 212 hardcover:

"From the labored sound of the engines, [Mara Jade] could guess they were pushing uncomfortably far past a Victory Star Destroyer's normal flank speed of Point Four Five. Possibly even as high as Point Five, which would mean they were covering a hundred twenty-seven light-years per hour."

127 light years per hour works out to roughly 1.2 million c, which is somewhat lower than the estimate based on the events of ROTJ, but it is always possible that Vader dallied around on the surface for a while before taking Luke to meet the Emperor. Some sources seem to indicate much lower hyperdrive speeds, including one quote from Heir to the Empire, pg. 35 hardcover:

"It took the Chimaera nearly five days at its Point Four cruising speed to cover the three hundred fifty light-years between Myrkr and Wayland."

This indicates that .4 hyperdrive is equivalent to a mere 26,000c in this region of space (only 8 times faster than a Federation ship), as opposed to the 1.2 million c speed of .5 hyperdrive factor, which is more than 400 times faster than a Federation ship. It is possible that this indicates an extremely steep exponential increase in speed with hyperdrive factor, but it is more likely that it is merely a region of space in which navigational conditions such as obstacles, space-time distortions, etc. slow down local travel (keep in mind that Federation warp drive is also affected by certain regions of space, as we found in "The Omega Directive" when it was revealed that there was an entire sector of Federation space in which warp travel was impossible). The speed chart from BTM (see below) clearly indicates that the speed of hyperdrive travel varies dramatically depending on where you are going. One final quote comes from the most original source of all:

From Star Wars IV: A New Hope, pg. 118 softcover: "Navigation computer calculates our arrival in Alderaan orbit at oh two hundred."

Guest Tie Guy

That may say how fast it goes, but it doesn't answer the ever so important question of HOW it does it. Oh well, thanks anyways Ferg, that was really interesting.

Archived