Home

Quit Making All These Sad Ass Skins!!!

DarthCobra

Im sorry. And I dont mean to sound so harse (yes i do) but everyone seems to be gettin a little carried away on the skinning idea around here. We have a limited number of models to skin at this time. So how about you guys save all that energy for another time when there are new models.. I mean a clone tropper outta the stormpilot. Everyone playin with photoshop filters just to change the color a little. This has gone way beyond insane. Why some of these skins get posted is beyond me. I dont wanna pick on anyone in particular so ill leave it at this.

WAIT FOR NEW MODELS!!!!

I have to agree with Cobra. Some stuff should get reviewed before being posted. It's very nice that everybody can have its skin posted, but there is way too much crap that gets posted. I have total respect for beginner skinners, but to those who take their time and apply themselves and can review their own work! I am a still a crappy skinner and I don't feel my stuff is nice enough to be posted for the fact that I can judge my work. One day I will be better and I will submit. I think the JKIInet skin section has lost credibility because of the amount of crap there is in it. I am talking about reborn skins that have been desaturated and posted! Stuff that even the original skinner wouldn't use! And in my opinion, all the things that don't have anything to do with starwars. This is Jedi net. Be coherent at least. Otherwise call it the freaking running loose skinners net. If I had a word on it, 3/4 of the skin section would come burning down into limbo. I have dialup and have to browse the damn database (who then works half the time) to look for decent stuff? Noway, I am not even going there!

Cya, I know, I am an arsehole too... it's ok

1 question.

Why do you care about what other people do?

You might as well keep quite because you cant stop people doing what they want to do.

I agree to the point when there are about 10 mace Windu skins, but at the end of the day the creator made the skin because of the love he has for Starwars and the game JKII.

Okay, look. There's no law that states that people can't skin whenever they want. You're not required to download skins you don't like. Yes, they get better over time. Yes, there are some skins that could use quite a bit of work. Yes, there needs to be more models before lots of quality skins can be made.

Guess what people? You don't have to download skins you don't like.

There's no reason to put down people trying their best. That's just going to make people give up, and then we'll have fewer good skinners in the long run. They should get the practice in now, while the game is still relatively new. While I agree that a lot of skins should be worked on more before they're released (ie: test skins), but even so, the site and filebase are not so restricted as to prohibit people from submitting.

Anyway, putting all that aside, this is also a public forum. People should be a tad more respected than that. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but that doesn't make it right to insult people who are at least trying. Take it easy, guys.

I really didnt mean to insult anyone. Just to make a point that skins that arent done well, should not be posted. And this isnt kindergarden where we put all the kiddies work on the wall for all the parents to go "Ohhhh, Ahhhh!". And i dont wanna discourage anyone from skinning. By all means.. Skin practice learn get better and post some real decent skins. But again im gonna say this has gotten completely outta hand. Anyone with photoshop and absolutly no understanding of skinning posts these aweful skins and clutter up our files section. Lets review them and only post good ones. Get mad tell me i dont have a right to speak my mind. I dont care. I will speak my mind. And ive been meaning to say this for quite some time now. So again, i repeat. I DO NOT MEAN TO INSULT ANYONE!!! JUST TO NOTE THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION! Theres to many horrid skins in this file section .... get rid of them.

Sorry to offend. I also didn't say not to speak your mind, so I'm sorry. But some people do tend to take offense to things like that... And while I agree about the whole 'putting up all the kiddies work on the wall for all the parents to go "Ohhhh, Ahhhh!"', that's really a matter of opinion. I mean, something could be crude and ugly to one person, and very nice to another. Just keep in mind there's more than one opinion on this forum. :) I mean, if I made a skin that everyone else thought was crude, but it was the only skin I wanted to use, I'd probably submit it, just so that if people want to see my skin when I play with them, they can download it if they want. I can't say for sure, but perhaps that's where most of them come from? Just a thought. Sorry to bother... I don't like arguing much. I don't know why this thread attracted me, really.

Who are you to tell us our skins aren't any good. Perfectsky or Absath (who are both great skinners), one of them released an X-box trooper. who the hell wants that?(sorry guys). But it's their right to post it if they want to. Btw, it WAS pretty cool looking.

and btw again where's the file section?. And also guys, keep making the crappy skins, I like em.

I did not mean you John Solvis. That last thread of mine was directed more towards the ppl tellin me to be quiet, and callin me and a$$hole.

AS FOR THIS!

Originally posted by Jango_Fett82

Who are you to tell us our skins aren't any good. Perfectsky or Absath (who are both great skinners), one of them released an X-box trooper. who the hell wants that?(sorry guys). But it's their right to post it if they want to. Btw, it WAS pretty cool looking.

and btw again where's the file section?. And also guys, keep making the crappy skins, I like em.

If you dont know where the file section is. You obviously havent looked at many of the skins posted there. Who am I? Why do I have to be somebody? Are you somebody? Do you think? Speak your mind? I do? If you dont like thread dont read it HUH? The only skin i singled out was the clone trooper on the stormpilot model, and while i think its a very good skin. It does not fit the model at all. And I dont think it should have been posted, like so many others.

"no offence" "none takin"

:)

Who am I? Why do I have to be somebody? Are you somebody? Do you think? Speak your mind? I do? If you dont like thread dont read it HUH? The only skin i singled out was the clone trooper on the stormpilot model, and while i think its a very good skin. It does not fit the model at all. And I dont think it should have been posted, like so many others.

"no offence" "none takin"

:) [/b]

What the hell is wrong with you? YES you do have to be somebody to put someone else down. If you aren't God's gift to skinning don't judge other people. And YOU aren't cuz as near as I can tell, Perfectsky's the closest yet. And you don't have to bring up how incredibly savvy you are for speaking your mind every time you post. "the more you tighten your grasp, the more star systems will slip through your fingers" sucka.

P.S. I still don't know where the file section is.

P.S.S. cuz every time I ask, someone says I should already know

P.S.S.S but if you told me, I wouldn't ask

What the hell is wrong with you? YES you do have to be somebody to put someone else down. If you aren't God's gift to skinning don't judge other people. And YOU aren't cuz as near as I can tell, Perfectsky's the closest yet.

Man your a moron arent you. Cant find the file section. Cant quote right. Why dont you just go away. I do not have to be gods gift to skinning to say what i want, or to notice all the lame skins gettin posted. Do you skin? Did you make the clone trooper skin? Why do you feel so attacked? Im not tryin to pick a fight with a no brainer like you, so dont waste your time.

So what if I can't quote right. the reason it didn't turn out right is cuz I tried to cut down all your mindless drivel into something half way cognitive. Do you search? Do you go where you want? I do. So, I think I'll stay, And no I didn't make the Clontrooper but I think It's pretty good and you suck for bashing other people's acheivments. Maybe whoever did make that skin was proud of it until you came along. Just deal with all the crappy skins and let people do and make what they want.

sucka.

P.S. the word is H-A-R-S-H Harsh.

P.S.S. there's an "e" in absolutely

P.S.S.S. It should be taken-not takin

P.S.S.S.S have you seen my brain I...Oh wait. I forgot I'm a no brainer. (ouch. THAT one hurt)sucka.

This isnt an english class. But thanks for the corrections, i was so worried that i might not be spelling things correctly. As if i care. Why is it everyone thinks they can break "moron" "nobrain" and "idiot" insults with spelling errors. As if spelling and grammer where the complete base of intelligence. I like to think of intelligence based on common sence, which isnt very common anymore.

well im a tad bit mixxed on this topic. For one, I think its horrible to see so much much junk permeating all of the download sites etc, and I think its a shame that people have to sift through the detritis (hehe sorry, couldnt resist) in order to find the real gems.

but on the other hand, I'm a bit of a skinner myself ;) hehe and I once was a beginner too. Granted, I've been an artist my entire life, so I came into video game skinning with a working knowledge of art and graphics, but still i went through a learning phase just like everyone else.

but i dont think we should placate these people who release crap just to spare some feelings. Art is a hard world, and is subject to criticism over anything else. There are some people that obviously suck, and quite simply, are never going to get any better. There is no luck in the world of art. tutorials and helping hands can make a mediocre artist good, but nothing will make a crappy artist mediocre, or a good artist great. thats my philosophy anyway (ripped from stephen king's philosophy on writing). Be as gentle about it as possible, but be truthful, always. You are doing the artist no favors otherwise.

-Abs

I myself have only been skinning for a month now, and I think of making skins using these existing models as a challange. While I believe that some skins can't be done properly with the existing models, I wouldn't put anyone down for trying.

And if you're tired of wading through the lower quality skins in the file index, sort them by rating, as long as people rate them fairly it works.

I also believe questioning intelligence futile, when an opinionated discussion resorts to name calling.

Wow, you guys are serious aren't you?!? LOL My son and I made one mod thingy so far (Darth Slaught and Darth Slyther for SP). I really don't see the big deal. If someone posts something that's crap, then don't download it don't waste your bandwidth but don't bash them for trying.

BTW if anyone got my mod and noticed the bugs (Darth Slaught's waste and Darth Slyther's head) I already know and posted the complete version this morning.

I've been a skinner for quite a long time now since the Quake2 days, but I haven't really gotten too serious into it since year 2000. Although, I have to admit, my first skins were just recolors or modifications of original skins. No skill in that, but I did learn a few things in making a skin.

Personally, I wouldn't release recolors or early practice skins. I would continue to work and try to get as much feedback as possible and put use to it.

Today, I only work from the wireframes up. The only skins that I use as base/template-skins are my own skins and no other.

Seeing that I'm working on my first Jedi Knight 2 skin, it's going be quite a challenge as I look at the other skins just to see where everything lands, but I don't cut-n-paste or recolor anything.

There's many models for JK2, although mostly humanoid, most of them have some distinctive characteristics. Desann, for example, has a lizard head. Someone could come up with some lizard warrior from another planet. Jan has a magazine belt and gogs. Those might expand some ideas. Reelo ... he's fat. Someone can go creative on that little fat alien.

From what I know, there's only wireframes for Kyle, Jan, and StormTrooper, but once there's a Ghoul2 (.glm) model importer out there, I'll extract the wireframes from other models as well.

Had I the wireframes, I wanted to make desann into an eagle. (the mouth and small eyes are a problem but the beak is perfect). THAT is the challenge, to create something unique and particular out of so few models and so many limitations, is the greatest invitation for a skinner. Then you have to start somewhere and since STARWARS is one of the most loved saga in the world, no wonder it is so popular with models, skins, maps, etc... I agree that the file section is a mess... but not because of too many skins... at least not yet. :) And even if I dindn't understand the rating thing and who rates and how they rate, it seems to work.

Clontrooper : CloneTrooper

acheivments : achievements

Grow up people. Getting people on their spelling is just childish. I'm sure that all the people here who have english as their main language are not that talkative when they have to speak a language that is foreign for them.

So what if I can't quote right. the reason it didn't turn out right is cuz I tried to cut down all your mindless drivel into something half way cognitive. Do you search? Do you go where you want? I do. So, I think I'll stay, And no I didn't make the Clontrooper but I think It's pretty good and you suck for bashing other people's acheivments. Maybe whoever did make that skin was proud of it until you came along. Just deal with all the crappy skins and let people do and make what they want.

sucka.

P.S. the word is H-A-R-S-H Harsh.

P.S.S.S. It should be taken-not takin

P.S.S.S.S have you seen my brain I...Oh wait. I forgot I'm a no brainer. (ouch. THAT one hurt)sucka.

True there are some ****ed up skins on jedinightii.net

But I´ve been a skinner ever sence the days of Quake. And honestly I don´t care what people think of my skins (like the X-box trooper)... I´m making them for the fun of it.

And if you don´t like them, hell, don´t download them then. It´s not my problem.

Well, I sifted through this crap, which, it seems to me are two instances of the same type of behaviour, a correction is, after all, a correction.

--------------

"Man your a moron arent you. Cant find the file section. Cant quote right. "

"P.S. the word is H-A-R-S-H Harsh.

P.S.S.S. It should be taken-not takin"

---------------

And all I got out of it was this at the end.

---------------

"You don't have to download skins you don't like."

"If you dont like thread dont read it HUH?"

---------------

It seems to me that this is the entire point of all that has been said in this thread. I agree with both of these last two statements.

It doesnt take a genius to see the logic inherent in such a simple concept. 'If you dont like it, move along.' I think even a dullard can grasp this one.

There's not much we can do about the clutter of the files section. Apparently the good folks at JediKnightII.net are giving something to the fans, made by the fans. Kind of like how some websites post drawings on notebook paper of Star Wars Characters that some 12 year old kid did in class while the teacher wasn't looking. It's not great work, but it makes the person who made it feel important and accepted. I've seen alot of suck ass work in many, many websites, but never bitched about it, because somewhere, there's someone who is absolutely thrilled to see his work on a website, beside other fans' work for the world to see.

Even if it does look like a giant bucket of @ss, it is an accomplishment for them personally.

If we want to fix this problem, I say list the files in order of their ratings, keeping new files in a text link list on a seperate menu for about a week or two, so they can build ratings before going into the pool. That way everyone is happy, we can stop this thread, and new skinners can still submit their work. It will just be listed in the last pages and not cluttering up the higher rated, nicer looking skins in the first pages.

But that's just my opinion, and, if you dont like it, move along.

lol

Oh ya.... The files section... well, since it is not directly accessable, (and for christs sake, why isnt there a link on the first page of the site?), here is a link to the files section.

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?cat=21

BOOKMARK IT. Enjoy the sifting, there is alot to look through, but little worth looking at. Well, I wont say little. There is alot of decent skins, but few great ones. ALOT of umm... crap ones. lol

Archived