Home

Stop it.(Response To Artifex)

icefox98

is this a joke?!? a lot of people responding seem to care more for artifex then they seem to realize...those that say taht art is a competitive whore rather then playing for fun is full of bs....dont mind my opinion,how do you know if hes not having fun playing the way he is? okay maybe hes quitting because of boredom, we all get our fire burned out once in a while. does it really matter if hes playing for fun or not? jeez, let the dude do what he wants, personally i give him credit for putting a lot of time in his guides, i learned a thing or too about the game through it, but to say the least it didnt mean i had to follow his standards. just like stated earlier art chose to play by his terms just like each and everyone of us, just learn to adapt to the playing environment (server), if you try that maybe it could be a lot more fun...

if it you dont care about the dude then dont even bother with it, your giving him the attn that he wants...

'nuff said:D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable.

As may or may not be indicated on the side here, this is my first post. I can usually just look at these things and laugh, but this whole epic (and I do believe that it has reached the status of epic) of the Chosen One laying down his lightsaber has finally compelled me to speak.

I don't call into question any of Artifex's purported skill. I don't know the guy nor have ever played him. He could be the greatest thing to happen to Jedis since co-ed locker rooms. I don't call into question his participation in the community. Apparently his guides have been a help to many a person just starting out. What I do have issue with is the gall, the sheer hubris, of the need to announce a (wait for it) RETIREMENT from (here' s the payoff) PLAYING A GAME. You retire from a job. You retire from the armed services. You retire from a sport. You remove a game from your hard drive. There is a difference.

This is especially lame considering the reason for Artifex's seemingly unavoidable self-removal from the field of battle. It's because he's gotten "too good". Now is this for real? I swear, I'm laughing just typing it. He feels that he can only be successful if he lowers himself to the level of the less skilled players and performs manuevers that are effective, but "cheap", i.e. backstab/sweep spamming. In his analysis, all other moves are ineffective against an opponent who uses these techniques. Thus, the game has become a pedestrian exercise in who can knockdown/backstab/sweep whom first. Now, this is my point, and between the "Artifex r0xx0rs, Artifex suxx0rs" posts, I haven't seen this point raised anywhere.

PERHAPS YOU AREN'T AS GOOD AS YOU THINK YOU ARE.

Ouch. All in caps too. Now before I get slammed from the Diciples of Artifex out there (or as we have termed them at work, the DOA's. Catchy, huh?) I'm not here to slam Artifex or anyone else, flaming people I don't know is less than entertaining to me. This is a general statement, not directed at one person. It just seems to me that if I considered myself one of the best in any field of competition, if something came along, a move , a strategy, anything, that tested my skill to such a degree, then I would relish the challenge of overcoming it. So it's too easy getting frags with the spam move? Try something else. So competitions are being won with a cheap manuever? Construct a new defense. Holy crap, you're not at the end of an existing learning curve, you're at the beginning of an entirely new one. To view the current state of affairs as, I believe Artifex put it, "the end of the road", is ridiculously short sighted. If you find yourself being killed everytime you try a move other than backstab, then perhaps you should work on the other moves until that doesn't happen. It's as simple as that. It's much easier to say "I can't succeed using these strategies, I quit", than "I can't succeed using these strategies, I NEED TO WORK HARDER".

So, please, if you're not going to play the game, so be it. No media conferences. No press releases. Simply be content in the fact that something was not to your liking and you gave up. That's all the announce ment we need.

Damn, I wish I had made that shorter so someone would read it.

What I dont understand, is why everyone cares. I for one dont give a **** if some guy who says he's good "retires" from a "computer game". Yet, this has become some kind of dilema, one so huge Daywalker here has chosen to write an essay on, and whos discussion spans two topics and 5 pages. WTF?

Originally posted by Lime-Light

What I dont understand, is why everyone cares. I for one dont give a **** if some guy who says he's good "retires" from a "computer game". Yet, this has become some kind of dilema, one so huge Daywalker here has chosen to write an essay on, and whos discussion spans two topics and 5 pages. WTF?

I agree. He quit, its old news. Have you guys even noticed that Artifex hasnt even replied to any of you lamers? You're wasting your time.

He quit and he obviously doesnt care if it "bothers" you or he would have responded. Get a life guys.

Yay, this thread is going to live to the end of the World! People keep knocking it, but (thanks to the likes of jarek who keep posting on it, and monitoring it, which keeps it alive and kickin'!) Thanks, Jarek maybe with our combined powers we can make this thread more powerful than ALL of lucasforums!

-Your friendly,

The Intergalactic Being; Rosco: The Prince Of Space

(name was taken for the forum so i had to go with Icefox)

Archived