Home

Palpatine/sidious Dispute

ash_007

Die Hard fans should've known this since ROTJ, but here's a few clues that you might not have picked up on.

1) the lightning he uses vs. Luke.... only a Sith or (maybe) Jedi could use that

2) Emperor Palpatine is described many places, and it's quite obvious after Episode 2 that he is putting himself in position to take on that role.

3) the voice, the way he tells Anakin he forsees him becoming the most powerful of all the Jedi, the way he "persuades" people into voting for him to take on a higher and higher role in the Republic govt....

4) the chin - this one really gives it away, you can see his mouth and chin even with the cloak, and it's obvious that this is the same person as Palpatine.

5) starwars.com - yes, it's not canon, but it's the official website

I think its pretty damn aparent that they are one, and the same. I didnt know people had any questions as to who he was.

the whole dumb siious thing was just probably something to hide his identity until he was in position to take over all the way I guess.

In addition, it's clear that all the Sith lords take on a Darth name, and Sidious is simply Palpatine's Sith name. When he makes himself Emperor, he'll have no need to hide himself anymore, and will just use his real name.

The fact that Ian McDiarmiad plays both Palpatine and Sidious is enough proof that they are the same person. The only alternate for that could be that they're twins or clones, which is really reaching. There really shouldn't be any dispute. If it turns out to be a twist where they aren't the same person, then cool, it'll be a suprise. But until that actually happens, it's ridiculous to think they're different people.

BradFu!

Other Hints...

It's the same actor playing the Emperor in ROTJ and Palpatine in the new movies.

In the three novels by Timothy Zahn, which were the official Lucas release of his chapter 7-9 episodes, the Emperor is often referred to as Emperor Palpatine.

maybe he is, maybe he isn't. the real question is... who IS anakins father? all that medachlorian bs isn't flying.... something isn't being told. maybe shmi was under a mind trick or something, who knows..... i feel that this is the twist in episode III. maybe i'm wrong, just speculating, throwing this out there. Is Sidious anakin's father? its possible.

lol.... so you screwed up someone elses forum with the same question? the irony... anyhoo, he'd have to use the mind trick.... or would he! i mean, a single mom, raising a kid alone in this galaxy, and a swell guy like SENATOR palpatine strolls by. I mean, he is human, not a machine, senators need love too. she couldnt resist, but felt guilty cause she was slutty and decided to block the event from her mind and latter got amnesia anyways! hahaha. j/k

Oooh oooh, how about this [this is the biggest, sickest stretch ever, if you value rational thoughts, skip this and read the next post]:

Master YODA, triggers the medachlorians to impregnate shmi, and then secretly trains sidious knowing the whole time that if there is balance to the force, its gotta get bad before it gets good, and that is why yoda lives, he's the master mind, and when its all over and the galaxy is a dictatorship (all part of yoda's master plan) he hides in the swamp and no one is the wiser. and then happens to manifest obiwan to summons luke to see him. (did we see anyone talking to the dead before? no) thats right. all the ghosts are just manifestations created by yoda (who faked his own death with a mind trick) and tricks luke into confronting vader to once again bring balance to the force.... i apologize in advance :o

anyways, how could palpatine be sidious, i mean, palpatine is such a super keen guy and sidious is mean... he's not the hulk you know... they couldnt possibly be the same person. Maybe the senator is a robot like in Austin Powers II, and his maker: Sidious, takes his place. Man, i should write conspiracy theories.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH:

i am still torn on this issue. i want to believe lucas has a twist up his sleeve, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The main reason I realized that they were the same person were from cinematic clues, the best one is at the end of Episode I. Mace Windu says "But which did was killed the master or the apprentice?" And the camera zooms on Palpatine's profile. That action alone indicates that Palpatine is a Sith, and if there can indeed be only two, and Sidious said Maul was his apprentice, than Palpatine has to be Sidious.

There are other cinematic hints, but like I said that is the most obvious.

LOL I think the greatest thing if you look at the affiliation thing on Palpatine's page on the official site it says sith, and soon as you click it you see a pic of palpy, and maul.:D

"And despite the death of his prized apprentice, none of the Jedi knew for sure of Sidious' existence, or of his true identity."

Hmm I wonder what his true identity could be....?:D

seriously a brain dammaged monkey could figure it out, not that there is any mystery about it.

Archived