Home

is it me or does this game just completely suck with win98?

mInk3nine

Its called stupidity.

You have people who do not use the proper version of Drivers that support the proper version of Direct-x.

People with off the wall cheapy video cards, budget parts. . . with no driver support and crappy hardware.

No that 99 dollar GeForce 2mx isn't going to do the same as a GeForce 2 Ti. But ITS a geforce 2!!!!

*snorts*

Improperly configured system settings.

http://www.tweak3d.net Gets windows 98 purring like a kitten.

I have only BSOD'ed 7 times in the past 6 months.

Windows 98 5.01 SP2. Direct-x 8.1, Radeon 8500.. 750mhz Athlon, 256megs of PC133 Sdram. Hardly a system to woo the charts.. But I do not have issues.

When people have technology from the bleeding edge, and just came out . . drivers are premature.. buggy.

Game's not had that many patches, its realitively bug free.

There may be issues with GeForce 2's . . but I think its something inherent in Dx 8.1 and Software calls with the drivers. .Jk2 is a heavily modified Quake 3 game.. lots of changes could lend to issues.

Not to mention the eight billion Warez copies out there that people got.

You get what you pay for.. keep this in mind.

A computer is just a very complicated machine.

You buy junk parts for an engine, its gonna run like crap, no pick-up, bad economy, poor response.

Go out and buy nice air filter, premium plugs, synthetic high-grade oil/tranny fluids.. low resistance wires.. It'll give you a pickup in performance..as opposed to off-the-wall cheapy parts.

People seem to forget this.

Windows 98 SE is infinately better in game speed/stability over-all than any other Microsoft OS. Windows ME = garbage. XP is getting better. . but from the issues I've seen across the board, and especially when it first got off the ground.... I'm going to wait awhile before I go XP. Might forgo it for the next installment of the Windows OS, sometime in the next year or two.

You are mostly right a_crying_dragon, but you are wrong in one thing: believing that Windows 9X (even thoroughly tweaked for optimal performance) might be better than Windows 2000/XP.. it is not.

You said your system has only BSODed about 7 times the last six months.. mine has BSODed once or twice since I installed it on november. And I haven't seen any game not older than 7-8 years old give me any problem.. I am sure that if you dedicate half the time it took you to tweak 9x, to tweak Windows XP, you'll have a better system than you do now.. ;)

P.S.: I agree that Windows 98SE is the best Windows 9x version. If you don't want/ can't afford a Windows NT/2000/XP OS, 98SE is the best option.. ME is a bad joke.

• 3 weeks later...

thought i agree with what you both said, both your points are valid and well thought out, i'd have to agree and disagree with crying dragon on win98 being the best for game stability and speed.

I'm sure if i loaded up win98 right now and totally disregarded win2000 (hahaha not), my framerates would rise significantly. Thats why i started this thread, cause i'm curious how my system would preform if i reinstalled 98. Thats where i agree about win98 being good for speed. When i switched from win98 to win2000 i was appauled by the drop in framrates, but after alot of tweaking and a few major upgrades, those issues are now nonexsistant.

But i also gained a great deal of stability with games and overall system performance i never had with win98. so i have to say even with the right tweaking, win98 is still sh!t, plain and simple. 7 bsod's in the last 6 months? thats still sh!tty. I got bsod's all the time, and after tweaking they still came up every once and a while, it was as if i had to do things in a certain order, in order for my system to stop from crashing. Its like, if i tried to burn a cd, then decided to write an email, something would go wrong. or if i started quake3 and decided to close it immediatly (/bind f12 "quit") My system would just hang. I've been using win2k for about a year now and i haven't seen one bsod.

so..thanks for responding, at least i know that JK2 runs decently on some peoples systems in win98.

Just hijacking the subject of this thread (though in a very different meaning)..

is it me or does this game just completely suck with win98?

Well, officially (for me), this game (in MP) completely sucks with win98, 2000, XP, or whatever name M$ sees fit for their next OS.

Just as I liked it in SP (the saber combats in the hardest skill setting were so intense), and MP in the previous version (1.02), now I loathe at the sight of what has become in 1.03. I have tried to bear with it in the hope that Raven would fix the terrible gameplay issues that created with 1.03, but as I see no sign of it, I have decided to dump JK2 once and for all.. if they ever decide to release a patch I may play again, but I won't hold my breath till then..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived