Home

music legality question

silverwest

Now I know for sure that it'd be illegal to take Star Wars music from one of the CD soundtracks and put it in a level.

But what if I record my own music that uses the Star Wars melodies (like a cover song)? I know that it's legal for bands to play cover music in concert, but illegal to put it on an albulm and sell it (without purchasing the right).

But is it different with this game? It wouldn't be a concert, but there's no profit being made either. I've never heard of any websites being shut down for offering midi versions of popular songs.

Though technically it's against copyright, I don't really think anyone would mind. You bought the CD, and aren't making a profit from it. I've downloaded PK3 duel music replacements of the Confrontation theme between Dooku and Yoda/Obi/Anakin, as well as the Duel of the Fates music from episode 1 (and even a Conan movie theme - which isn't even Star Wars!). They are available on just about any JK2 file site, and if it were seriously being considered illegal they wouldn't be there.

It's just my opinion, but I think you're okay whichever way you go. And I'm a recording producer/artist for a living, so I'm not just saying this out of left field. Making an MP3 for a level from a Star Wars recording you purchased, packaging it in a special PK3, and distributing it for free as a mod for a Star Wars game is a fairly specialized use of the music; and isn't the same as napstering the soundtrack and distributing it for free at full 16bit/44.1k fidelity on your website.

Make your level, and deal with the problem if it arises. Otherwise, don't worry about it. It's very conscientuous and considerate of you to be concerned about this though. Most people wouldn't even stop to think of the legal issues. But this isn't stealing income from a struggling label artist - Lucasfilms is doing better than ok financially. Just think of it as compensation for all of those overpriced action figures your parents were forced to buy.

;)

"Of course, you must do what you feel is right..."

Ben Kenobi

Episode IV

it's like distributing a song for them, without them getting the profit, so it is illegal. But I woudlnt worry about it, the dual of the fate map came with the music...not to big a worry. It's only if they catch you then you worry.

Archived