Home

Quake II or Unreal?

Guest Qui-Gon Jinn

Guest Darth Kurgan

Though I haven't played Quake2 MP, I think alot more people think it's better. I haven't played Unreal online either.. only botmatches (and they are fun although some of the levels in Unreal blow).

The SP is Unreal, hands down though. (it's also really looong) ; )

Depends on what you're looking for. If it's great SP, (and great graphics) go for Unreal.

Kurgan

Expect to get somewhere around 35 fps average at 800x600, with frame rate dropping into the low teens when a lot of objects are on the screen. Quake II will run smoother, but Unreal will definitely be playable.

Guest Darth Joha

Definitely go for Unreal.

QuakeII is definitely more visceral- lots of machine gunning and that kind of thing. Unreal, though, is just plain cooler- exotic landscapes, varied colors, unusual weapons, and VERY smart enemies. Quake II AI is not particularly impressive.

Unreal should work on your machine OK. Your processor could be a bit faster and another 48MB of RAM would also help, but your Voodoo2 card will make a difference. The nice thing about Unreal is that its technically VERY "tweakable," that is to say, you can adjust every last detail of graphics, sound, etc., to make it work right on your PC.

Just make sure you get your patches right away- it's got some bugs out of the box!

------------------

"Khabtatein fi ras tuga'"- Arabic for "Two hits on the head hurts."

Guest Qui-Gon Jinn

Yeah, but is there a demo for Unreal? I want to try it out, but I wasn't able to find one. (The Quake II demo, I'm downloading now.) Oh, and I play all of my games in 680 x 480.

------------------

http://www.JediKnight.8k.com

"Be Mindful of the Living Force." - Qui-Gon Jinn

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Jinn (edited February 22, 2000).]

Guest LDB_Leeman

Don't rule out some of the lesser known First person shooters - StarSeige Universe was worth getting solely because of the addition of Starseige Tribes - an absolutely cracking Team based MP game. However, Tribes is Multiplayer only, whilst Starseige, a mechanoid blaster, is Single and Multiplayer compatible.

A worthy purchase... smile.gif

Guest Darth Kurgan

I would point out, that in Unreal, there seems to be less fighting, and more emphases on solving (easy) puzzles, and exploring. You do go up against some nasty monsters, but you'll never be fighting more than two guys at at time (except in some rare instances where you are attacked by swarms of giant spiders). It's a great game, but in a different way than Quake2. Still, there's plenty of entertainment value, and in my opinion, it's more refreshing than Quake2.

The game is also 50+ levels long, and they are meshed together fairly well (not as well as like in Half Life, but there's definate continuity).

The graphics and atmosphere is simply breathtaking, and the weapons are unusual and interesting (and they get the job done). Having secondary fire also rocks.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Darth Kurgan (edited February 22, 2000).]

Guest Qui-Gon Jinn

Oh you think so? But I am not sure Unreal will run as well as Quake II does on my computer. Also, I haven't been able to find anywhere to purchase Unreal, while there were a lot of places to purchase Quake II.

------------------

Guest Darth Joha

I don't know of an Unreal demo either, unforunately. However, the full version sells at Electronics Boutique for something incredibly cheap like $10.

It should run on your PC, you'll just have to turn off some of the detail (light coronas, A3D sound, etc.).

------------------

Guest Qui-Gon Jinn

Ok, after loads of decision, I did get Unreal! the graphics are very good, but it seemed to not detect my Voodoo3. A strange reason. I went to the site that Argath told me, but I could not find the correct patch that fixes the issues with Voodoo based accelerators.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Jinn (edited February 23, 2000).]

http://unreal.epicgames.com/Versions.htm

The latest Unreal patch fixes some problems people with Voodoo3's experience, but I haven't heard of the card not being usable at all. I was able to run in Glide before the patch, but the textures were miscolored. Hopefully, your problem of the card not being detected will also be remedied.

If the latest update doesn't fix your problem, be sure that you're running in full screen mode, as Unreal only supports software rendering in a window. The Advanced Options, accessable from the Options menu, will let you choose what 3D API you want to use, so you may want to be sure that Glide is selected in the Drivers menu.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 23, 2000).]

Quake 2 or Unreal?

A very pertinent question, because I have played both. And I'm not going to recommend either of them. Get Unreal Tournament instead.

Why? Strange as this may sound, Unreal Tournament plays better on my machine than Unreal - and I only have a lowly Pentium 200Mhz MMX with 64 Mb Ram and a Voodoo 1 card!

I've been playing Unreal Tournament a LOT lately (not online, just using the built-in BOTS, you understand), and it rocks. However, I thought I'd have a change, and reinstalled Quake 2 to go on another slaughterfest. I was on about the fifth level when I gave up - I was bored silly, because even on the hardest setting I found myself on a leisurely stroll easily destroying everything in sight. The AI and response times of the enemies is just toooo sloooowww.

The original Unreal is a big, memory hugging beast. It likes 128Mb RAM, it likes 400MB hard disk space, it likes a Pentium II 300Mhz or higher to get the best out of it (on one of the harder settings with more enemies, it started to seriously grind to a halt on my lowly Pentium). Also, I felt there weren't enough enemies to battle (but then again, I remember the heady days of Doom, when you had fifty imps coming at you - ah, those were the days *sigh* wink.gif ).

Anyway, give the Unreal Tournament demo a whirl. Incidentally, I think it's a lot better than Quake 3 Arena.

Quake 2 or Unreal?

A very pertinent question, because I have played both. And I'm not going to recommend either of them. Get Unreal Tournament instead.

Why? Strange as this may sound, Unreal Tournament plays better on my machine than Unreal - and I only have a lowly Pentium 200Mhz MMX with 64 Mb Ram and a Voodoo 1 card!

I've been playing Unreal Tournament a LOT lately (not online, just using the built-in BOTS, you understand), and it rocks. However, I thought I'd have a change, and reinstalled Quake 2 to go on another slaughterfest. I was on about the fifth level when I gave up - I was bored silly, because even on the hardest setting I found myself on a leisurely stroll easily destroying everything in sight. The AI and response times of the enemies is just toooo sloooowww.

The original Unreal is a big, memory hugging beast. It likes 128Mb RAM, it likes 400MB hard disk space, it likes a Pentium II 300Mhz or higher to get the best out of it (on one of the harder settings with more enemies, it started to seriously grind to a halt on my lowly Pentium). Also, I felt there weren't enough enemies to battle (but then again, I remember the heady days of Doom, when you had fifty imps coming at you - ah, those were the days *sigh* wink.gif ).

Anyway, give the Unreal Tournament demo a whirl. Incidentally, I think it's a lot better than Quake 3 Arena.

Guest Darth Kurgan

Well, only trouble is, UT is basically a MP game (and botmatches being "multiplayer simulators"). Unreal is a single player adventure in the FPS genre. Plus it has its own botmatches (not as good as UT of course in that area).

If you want to just frag, frag, grab the flag, and snag the base, then get UT (Assaul is pretty cool too).

If you would rather go on a traditional shooter adventure (al la Dark Forces, JK, Half Life, etc), then get Unreal.

Unreal runs great (better than UT) on my computer, and that's with *only* 64 megs of ram (of course with all the latest patches... p233 MMX, 8 meg voodoo2).

In actuality, Unreal and UT both run on the same engine (UT's is modified of course) and they have similar system req's. On the highest detail settings of UT, you need some more ram, or a slightly better processors to run at a decent speed, but they're about equal. UT does have some more tweaks in some places for improved speed, but you're dealing with more complex textures and higher quality sounds, so it balances out.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Darth Kurgan (edited March 02, 2000).]

Unreal Tournament uses memory more efficiently and has better support for non-3dfx hardware than the original Unreal did. On almost all computers, Unreal Tournament performs better than the original Unreal.

UT has neither "more complex textures" nor higher quality sound, and I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Some of the levels have more complex architecture than Unreal's do, which could cause a performance toll on computers with slower CPU's. Bots also take up more CPU time than enemies in a single player level do, but that won't adversely affect performance unless there are a huge number of them.

I don't know why your results are different, but most people experience better performance with Unreal Tournament. If you're happy with how both games perform, I see no reason to even bother trying to fix something that isn't broken, but if you're getting dismal framerates in UT, you may want to check into this problem a bit more. UT should run faster.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 24, 2000).]

Guest Qui-Gon Jinn

I don't get it... Darth Kurgan said that:

Unreal runs great (better than UT) on my computer, and that's with *only* 64 megs of ram (of course with all the latest patches... p233 MMX, 8 meg voodoo2).

I have P200MMX 16 meg Voodoo3 and 48MB Ram. Unreal runs like crap on my computer~! I did take off all the "extra" lighting and everything else i could, but it just seems to be horrible. The graphics are spactacular (my Voodoo3 is doing that work), but when you first start up the game, (where you see the castle and the camera pans) the game undergos hiccups. On level 2, It takes a minute or two to take a footstep.

Now in oppposition, Quake 2 demo ran like a dream on my computer. So I don't think Unreal is fully utilizing the abilities of my Voodoo3. Why though? I know that it detected my Voodoo3, but it just seems so slow....

*NOTE: My hard drive has 68% free space. Does that affect the game in any way?*

------------------

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Jinn (edited February 25, 2000).]

Kurgan's definition of "great" may be much different from yours, which is why I try to stay away from describing how a game will run with words like that. I know how well Unreal performs on a system like yours, and "great" wouldn't be the word that comes to my mind, but you should at least be getting playable framerates through most of the game.

I think you may just have higher standards than Kurgan for what you consider decent play, but it may be a good idea to make sure you aren't receiving any abnormally low framerates. Hit tab and type "timedemo 1" during the castle flyby and report your average and lowest framerates after it finishes the flyby. I'll be able to tell you if your performance is abnormal or not if you can post some timedemo statistics.

On another note, a processor and memory upgrade would do your computer a world of good if it's in your budget. The Voodoo3 is an excellent video card, but it's not going to offer much better performance over a Voodoo2 or even a Voodoo Graphics card on a P200. If you're able to upgrade your CPU, you'll see a huge increase in performance.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 25, 2000).]

Guest Darth Joha

Just a note...

All this talk about Unreal reminded what a cool game it is. So, I bought another copy (I had sold off my original) and booted it up. Wow! I'm running on a Direct3D card now, and it's incredible (the first time was in software mode)!

Make sure you have the absolute newest patch- it really makes a big difference in Unreal.

------------------

Guest Darth Kurgan

Oh no, sniff, I guess Argath just showed me up! He said I was wrong! : (

Bottom line: When it comes to question of hardware, Argath is the only person you should listen to, because he knows. I just use words like "great" and stuff because I'm only expressing my opinion. Only Argath really knows (at least I think that's what he's trying to say).

Honestly, I only know what I've read, and what I've seen on my own computer.

"great" means playable, which means it isn't jerky, it isn't hanging all the time, etc. It's smooth. Both games take some time to load up on my computer (maybe four times longer than say JK does to load) but then you play fast. I use the "full install" thing of course, and I play without the CD's.

Unreal for me runs better on my machine. Is that because I have a 3dfx card? If that's not the way it's "supposed" to be, I dunno. You tell me why it runs better. ; )

Hey, everybody's machine is different. Don't take my word for it, if it works like crap on your's, and you can't tweak it, then fine, that's how it is.

When I load up Unreal, on all the highest graphical/audio settings, etc, it runs like a dream. I can do the same with UT and it runs more slowly, but I can make it FASTER by cranking down the detail, etc.

The way I see it, if you can run one game decently, you'll be able to run them all (minor differences of course). Then it comes down to a question of gameplay. I can't make that decision for you either. You'll have to play them and see which ones are worth your time and money. ; )

That's just a nice way of saying "Make up your own mind!"

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Darth Kurgan (edited February 29, 2000).]

How does disagreeing with you equate to "showing you up"? I wasn't aware that correcting false statements and mentioning that "great" is completely subjective is considered offensive.

Your comments on Unreal vs. Unreal Tournmanet were completely false, and my reply doesn't need any more elaboration. If you'd like to try to qualify your statement that UT has "more complex textures" and "higher quality sounds", be my guest, but I'd suggest you just accept the fact that you're wrong. I made no comments that should have been taken personally, so I really don't see why you are offended by my reply.

Likewise, I don't understand what was so inflammatory about telling Qui-Gon that your definition of "great" play may be different than his. Post up some timedemo scores, and I can guarantee that they will be close to the ones Qui-Gon iis receiving, assuming his computer is working correctly. What you consider great play iisn't necessarily adequate for other people, which is why I try to stay away from describing how a game runs with completely subjective descriptions like "great" or "bad". Different people have different expectations for "good" gameplay, and words like "great" are practically meaningless when describing how well a game works.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 29, 2000).]

Archived