Home

Kendo-enthusiasts? (SP?)

Qui-GONE Jinn

Not much in the way of 'requirements' I think. You're going to need good coordination, and maybe some equipment, like training swords, protection, etc. It's possible the club will supply that though.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else you need. Just go and test it once, and if you like it, continue.

i want to learn kendo as well, there just aint no kendo thing around here.

from what i've know kendo uses full body padding and bamboo swords.

and everything i've seen is slash and sheeth style, basically you train in moves where you draw your sword, make a blow and sheath it again.

kendo is more about breathing techniques than fancy swordplay allthough there's probably more styles i don't know about.

there's another martial art with swords that's very much practiced, it uses reall katana's instead of training swords but there's no sparring, just practicing of moves, i forgot the name though, i'll ask a friend that practices the sport.

I also would love to learn Kendo but Maine has NOTHING in the way of culture. Bah. I've searched for schools around here but there aren't any.

Though... it is pretty here.

I thought Kendo stemmed in some way from teh training given to Samurai in Japan.

Are you looking into kendo or shinkendo? There's a bit of a difference.

Kendo is the sword art that has transitioned more and more to a sport rather than a strict martial art. In kendo you'll be required to wear the heavier, padded clothing, armor and mask, and you'll train with shinai, which are bamboo practice swords.

Shinkendo is something of a hybrid between kendo and kenjutsu. You wear a regular gi top and hakama, no armor or helmet, and train with bokken (wooden swords) and sometimes with live katana, although not with the latter for contact drills. Shinkendo also involves tameshigiri, or test cutting, where you use live blades to cut targets such as rolled up tatami mats or bamboo.

I've been doing shinkendo for a couple years and I really enjoy it. I've also got a background yoshinkan aikido so that made for a really easy transition. Kendo looks like a lot of fun too, but the equipment for it is going to be pretty expensive. If you've got the scratch and the desire to learn, however, my advice would be to go for it! You generally meet good people and it's a lot of fun.

Archived