Home

Game play problems

Artimis

I recently got a new computer equiped with a Geforce 32 mb 3d accelerator and 1 Ghz pentium III processor. Anyway my problem is that when I run jk without 3d acceleration checked, anytime I go near glass or a force field or water, my comp chops up bad. When I click on 3d acceleration, the choppiness goes away, but the game runs too fast. For example, when I swing my lightsaber it goes way too fast and then the hit comes like a second later. This gets very annoying especially when you do the secondary swing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

------------------

-Artimis

I'm saying that the swings (especially the secondary swing) are so fast that you barely see the saber move. The saber moves in the blink of an eye and then the force/damage/spark appears like a second later. EX. I will fight a dark jedi. I will back up, do a secondary swing, the saber returns into the normal stationary position, then I can run forward quickly and they will get hit. When I switch into 3rd person veiw this problem goes away, but I hate that view even for saber fights. I just want to know if there is a way to slow the swing down.

------------------

-Artimis

I have a similar setup although I have an AMD Athlon instead of a P3 and a GeForce2 GTS (still 32mb).

Do you have "backbuffer in system memory" checked? What res are you running at?

I am running at 1024x768 res (20 in monitor so it looks alright) and screen size 9, in 3D accelerated mode (and backbuffer in system memory is UNchecked). I am also running with the 1.01 JK patch and on a full install.

Do you have the latest Detonator Drivers installed and the latest DirectX7?

As far as running "too fast" in 3d mode, I don't know if you CAN go too fast with a 3d game. I get 100 fps (at the command prompt type "Framerate" with no quotes. Get to the command prompt by hitting T then tab).

Don't run in 2d mode, it will always be slower and/or look worse than 3d mode with your current setup. Smoothness may take some getting used to, but its better than slowness in the end. I know it took me awhile to get used to games like Q3A and UT being "fast" on my new system as opposed to my old one, but it lets me aim much better, and I like it.

It may just be that you aren't used to the speed. In first person view I admit, the hands move very fast, so it's much easier to use third person for saber fights. I guess you could run a bunch of other programs in the background to slow down your computer, but I figure its better to just go with the flow and get used to the new technology.

; )

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited October 18, 2000).]

Archived