Home

Speculation about NEW PATCH...

QuantumMechanic

well, ive been keeping up with the development and support for Jedi Outkast and at this time I would like to put forth a theory about upcoming patches and support for this game. At this time I believe all of us are basically Beta testers who paid for a product that was released specifically before it was ready. Patches are an integral part of any online game, to correct imbalances and the such, but too change a major part of the gameplay , ie. totally revamping the saber, makes me think that Raven is using all of us to prepare for something else.... and that something is the X Box port of the game. A console game cannot be patched....at this point at least, so the finished product cannot be changed, so this game needs to be as good as they can make it, which requires a lot of testing...and Raven did all there testing of this game in house before releasing it...and then changed a huge aspect of the game based on opinions expressed by the community, who played this game for thousands of hours.

In recent articles I have read Raven was queried about their continuing support for Jedi as well as Soldier of Fortune2, to which their response was that they have a long term support plan for SoF2 but nothing planned for Jedi.

To this end I believe we can expect another patch, perhaps two, to update the backslash combos that everyone complains about now as well as other issues that will work better on a X Box version of the game. Im not even going to try and guess when this(these??) patch(s) will be released as its been quite a while since the release of the last patch and we havent even seen a small update to address even the backslash issue.

Ive played Raven games before and witnessed their support in action. They make great games that work almost entirely right out of the box that have great storys and gameplay and level design. In fact about the only thing i can fault them for seems to be their lack of interest in supporting their games after they're released. (and their hardware intensive games....).

But thats what i think, and just feel frustrated that I played such a great game before called Jedi Outcast 1.02, that was near perfection with only some minor balancing issues and great saber play and now im stuck with this...a great CTF game with lots of different strategys to be employed but a duel mode that has become an abysmal performance of its former self.

But if you think that Raven generally makes games good right out of the box, what makes you think they would use the gaming community as beta testers on such a large title? Seems like a risky idea to me, that I doubt many people would want to take

Raven generally makes very good games out of the box that usually require a little tweaking of a small aspect of the game, like how force powers in 1.02 werent entirely balanced...this is what most game companies do, fix the little things....but when a major element of gameplay is changed, don't you think it should have been done before the game was released? as in its beta period? Thats why it feels like theyre using us as beta testers....

I am sure Raven would have patched it already (look at 1.03a, they fixed the backstab/backsweep and airlunge exploit in that) but in interviews the main Dev said that he and his team can't release another patch until Lucas lets them. Raven can do what they want with SOF2 because its basically their product

Archived