Home

People who actually understand func_trains! Help me, you're my only hope!

DividedByZero

You know... the most ironic thing is... Grets never posted on this thread again after his first post... so he may never even have seen any of this!

Anyway... hope he accepts my apology. K.

I should probably stop posting if I'm this much trouble:(

Hey Rich! I had no idea that you made the ffa_sandarena map until I just looked at your site! Thank you! I've been dueling on it all day with my gal! I also mentioned it to a guy who has a local server and I think they might want to run it as part of their normal map set. Been hoping that we could get it going ffa style!

How about this: Don't change the orientation of the md3, change the orientation of the map! Make a new map... load your current project (like a prefab) and rotate the entire map (z rotation) and then put the md3 in whatever orientation it wants to be in! This won't help if you're making many md3's going in multiple directions, but if it's just one, that shouldn't be a prob! This way you don't even have to rebuild your map!

I don't know if that was a stroke of genius or just a stroke. Let me know if it helped.

I've had this idea too, but like you said, it won't work w/ my multiple ships flying around. I'll try and explain the whole thing better.

http://home.attbi.com/~chester394/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Take a look at that pic that you see there. I have a ship (a func_train that displays a cloud car md3) that flys in from the left, lands on that landing pad, then takes off and flys off the map to the right.

Then there are the two roads, I want ships going in different directions on each road. I have trains that display the models, and they fly in the correct direction, but they're faceing (from the perspective of the picture) right.

I've rotated the orgin brush, the brush around it, both of them, the entire train. I'm going to try all of these again just to be sure, so I'll report back later today.

And sights, I don't think you understand something, you don't add and model, then attach it to a train, it's a command in the train entity to display the model.

Originally posted by DividedByZero

I've rotated the orgin brush, the brush around it, both of them, the entire train. I'm going to try all of these again just to be sure, so I'll report back later today.

Hehe, that's silly (no offence) and won't change a thing. :p AFAIK, there is no way to change orientation of a model2 in func_train in MP. In SP you just set angle of func_train itself and it will adjust its model accordingly but in MP it doesn't work. Sorry.

The only way for you is make different model, ie. in Milkshape. Import the existing one, rotate it, export as different model.

if its flying in from a point the player cant see why dont you just make an extra path corner that is placed before the original first path corner and set it to turn train?

it takes two seconds for the train to turn so it has to be out of sight for those two seconds

thats how i got my flybys facing the right way when setting the angle and turning the brush wouldnt work

or isnt the turn train option available in mp?

-patch

I noticed when I loaded the ffa_sandarena map that it had a big semi in the lower right hand corner, so I figured that it was yours, since there was the same logo on your site. Perhaps I was mistaken. I'll research. In the mean time... FFA_SANDARENA IS AWESOME!!!

I suppose just shoveing them to their death would be fine huh? How would I make it do that?

And Rich, while you're here, I think I'm doing my sky box wrong, I have a hollowed brush around the entire map that I applied the bespin sky shader to, is that what I'm supposed to do?

And no. :)

First of all, never use hollow.

Second, you should only have a sky shader on the actual surfaces that you want the sky to be seen through. Look at my Skies tutorial for an example.

It might be a little different for you, though, if you want to see the ships make an approach to your map. In that case, you'd want to build sky brushes out to encompass the area that you want to be able to see the ships in.

Archived