Home

WIP: "Realistic" saber hilt for SP series

Emon

Here are some shots of a new lightsaber hilt which I will be using for my SP series that I'm working on. Unlike many other sabers, it is possible to hold in your hand without tearing your flesh on all sorts of buttons, rings, designs and gizmos, making it a bit more "realistic". :)

[Edit]For some reason, I'm only able to post links, not direct images (disable?) so just click on them.[/edit]

5093.jpg

5094.jpg

5095.jpg

5096.jpg

What'cha think?

1. Poly count is currently 990, yes I know it's too high, but I'll be much lower once I remove all the extra slices from the main cylinder.

2. I'm using the current textures you see here, I might possibly modify the hand grip texture, not sure. I figure there's no real need to make whole new textures when it's just a saber hilt, you won't be looking at it much anyways.

BEAUTIFUL saber hilts you got there. whatever you do DONT scrape this project, your doing a fantastic job on them and take your time, too many saber hilts that look crappy just cause the maker rushed through it all. I hope to be the first of thousands to download that great saber hilt

Wow, I'm getting POSITIVE feedback! :eek: I guess all the immature flaming kiddies are on the other forums...

Well, I'm modeling it in Milkshape, which you can make a saber hilt, but not other things like player models (unfortunatly).

Actually, more polys WILL slow down the game. The Q3:TA engine isn't exactly the best at rendering models... The player models have well over 2,000, so another 600 on the screen (my saber) won't lower your framerate at all.

And lastly, I wasn't planning on realising just the hilt, it's a part of a bigger project. But if people REALLY want it, I'll release it.

Originally posted by iTeM

but personally i think the metal is too dull, I'd like a more shiny metallic look.

very easy, all you'll have to do is make a shiney (or plastic like) shader, done ;)

Originally posted by Emon

Well, I'm modeling it in Milkshape, which you can make a saber hilt, but not other things like player models (unfortunatly).

actually, that's very possible indeed, all you'll have to do (after you finish) is export it to 3dsmax :)

if it were up to me i wouldn't touch the the hilt. I think it being dull is better than shiny. Gives it a more realistic quality. Besides, something that sits in somebodys sweat (or dirty glove) isn't gonna be shiny for very long. Keep it dull!! And if you wish to add a little more sparkle....please use it wisely.

As long as it fits in BOTH of the hands on Kyle (or any skin your using for SP) do whatever the hell you feet like EMON, the skin is fantastic. dont change a thing unless you want it changed.

oh and when you get that beauty done could you please put up a link to download it on this Thread or could you send it to my E-Mail at

Chuck1030_60120@Yahoo.com

Archived