Home

Fix this game Lucasarts...

Drachnyen

On 90% of the JK2 multiplayer servers out there, the real "winners" of the day are those who can backstab the most. This is cheesy... plain and simple.

It is one thing to pull off a backstab after a hotly contested duel, or perhaps hitting someone with one accidentally.... it is another to run around backwards trying to kill everyone.

There are an abudance of people running around with what seems to be unlimited force power pulling people down on their ass, and insta-killing with a backstab. While this is, at best, creative on the part of those who figured it out originally, it is LAME for EVERYONE to adopt this as their mainstay attack mode.

In a real sword duel, or fencing match, NO one gets into a position to attack with their back turned to the opponent. This is tantamount to suicide, as the person who is fighting them has the advantage of the strike, and can easily kill them in one swift move. In JK2, this is the reverse. If you can get your back turned on someone, you have the upper hand. Sad.

While some might cite the fact that this is a game based on a sci-fi-fantasy setting, I would like to point out that even the duels you see on the big screen are patterned after REAL LIFE fencing and sword-based martial art moves. Even Darth Maul himself, who used a similar move to kill Qui-gon, only did so after a heated exchange and a physical blow to the face of the Jedi, NOT as an opening move. Bad tactics on his part? I don't think so. Its a credit to the choreographers of the movie.

Those who are "masters" of the backstab are most likely reading this saying to themselves "Oh no, another whiner who can't pull it off, f-off". That, is in fact NOT the case. I figured it out, its not hard to do, in fact, thats WHY I dislike the move. Having such an EASY kill tactic for a Lightsaber battle discredits the flavor of Jediknight II, and bastardizes the game from the entire Star Wars/Jedi mythos.

I was a huge fan of JediKnight (Dark Forces 2). I played it on Microsoft's Gaming Zone alot. It was a ton of fun getting into a saber-battles and honing SKILL in the face of the multitudes of would-be, forgive the punish term, JK masters. THIS game though makes a mockery of the video-game lightsaber battle, and leaves the reward of victory in the hands of those who have little skill and make the least effort, and a serious lack of honor.

My suggestion to fix this problem is the following:

1. Turn off backstabs against prone opponents. Since Force Pull(and sometimes Push)/Backstab seems to be the reigning champion of Jedi Knight 2, make the code turn off backstabs when the target is lying down.

2. Currently, if you have your saber drawn, you will BLOCK 80% of the attacks that come your way from behind. Fix this.

3. Make people take quadruple damage when getting attacked from behind by normal attacks.

4. Make Force Push and Pull work about 10% of the time it works now for those who have a high opposition power. This means if someone has a high Force Push, and tries to shove someone who has a high Force Pull, their attempt will be blocked. This will fix the ledge whores problem too (Cheesy too, and I am guilty of it). Some might cry that this will lock up alot of Force into Both abilities. Maybe make it less expensive too.

I do like this game, I have played the single player to the end almost twice now. And it has alot of potential. I would however, tell my buddies that it is not as good as JK1, just simply because of the Multiplayer issues, like this.

-Drach'nyen

I suggest you download the 1.03a pk3 file if you have such a problem with Backstab. It makes it so you cant turn while performing it and makes running backwards slower (allowing MUCH better sabre duels)

Get this and Assfighters are few and far between, and if they DO come after you, you will either get away no-probs or just dispatch em straight away.

1. LEC sucks, it's their fault, not Raven's. Raven is awesome. LEC makes every call on patches and game development.

2. Download the U104 mod, the Unoffical 1.04 mod, it fixes the backstabs and the ammo problems, and the game is just about perfect. You put it in your base folder, and you never have to turn it on/off, it's automatic.

3. You don't have to go buy another game. You could try playing some other game types like Jedi Master where assfighting is more acceptable because the Jedi Master is grossly outnumbered. You could play some more SP. You could make some more SP. You could make some MP. Think of ideas.

Archived