Home

New player and lightsaber models.

alaris

well, i got some tips for the screenshots...

if u type levelshot in the hud, i think it will take a pic of your model and stuff without the GUI, i think it also saves it to a file so u can do mroe than one. if not, then jsut set ur resolution really high and press teh print screen button, alt tab out, paste it in you favorite img editor and save it, problem with this is when you go back to jk2 u gotta play with brightness for a second to get it to come back to teh right level.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just booted him up in-game and he looks great. one thing i noticed though: he is suffering from the same "saber tied to the wrong bone" syndrome that the Mandalorian models have a problem with. It makes him hold the sabe cock-eyed. Take a peek through this forum and you'll find an explanation on how to fix this.

here you go, i found it about 5 pages deep:

Originally posted by PsykoSith

the bolt_r_hand is weighted to the rhang_tag_bone (with full abs.)

And nothing should be weighted to the l_hand_tag_bone (you add it to the hand's bones but no vertex assigned)

I weighted the bolt_l_hand to the mc5 bone (full abs.)

hope that helps!

The lighting is pretty good but needs some work, it looks like neither plastic nor metal. And you have to give some depth to the textures. But I admit that I have the same problem with textures, I am still wrestling with photoshop to do the textures I want using the tools. Texturing is all an undo-redo mess! Then when I get satisfied with the finish, I often don't remember how I did it! I'm still looking for a nice tutorial on how to use the tools to have nice material finishes. I am almost there, it's just too caotic!!! Anyone can point me to one? Know anything?

Wait? I got lost, hehehem... yes very nice model! Very cool charachter, nice story and The saber is a killa! ;)

Thanks again delmar. (pronounced delmur? or like Del Mar?) I just found this quote:

my model (kronar) had the same problem as the mandalorians and i was clued in by Delmar that it is because the saber is weighted to the wrong bone.

not only does weighting it to the wrong bone make the light backstab not work but also 'crooks' swings (most notably in heavy stance)

the correct bone (or at least what worked for mine) was some thing like r_hang_tag_bone to wich you weight the bolt_r_hand.

I will work on this tonight.

This is why I wanted to release the model via email first to see if there were any problems I was missing. Also, I wanted to get a feel for what people thought to see if I should bother uploading to jkiifiles

Thanx everyone for the tips. This first player model was a great learning experience. Now I know to keep skinning in mind as I model the various parts and sub-parts of the body. I am debating on making one of two models: an ep 2 obi-wan, or another original model based off Mace Windu's grandson (dreadlocks and all he he). I'll probably do the latter to get more experience in before I try resembling the mighty Obi1.

I'm not sure if the lightsaber was Dark-Lord-of-the-Sithy to begin with, but it's definately looking like a wicked instrument that would go well with a red blade. Looks good. Here's an idea for you---I purposely made the red parts dull to represent a texturized grip. I think you should maybe make those parts more metallic (take a look at kyle's saber skin for ideas).

Good idea!

Think you can make a seperate spot on the skin images for the bottom of the hilt? because it currently uses the same as the bevel on the top of the hilt, and looks strange with a black bottom.

I worked vigorously last night (with my screaming nephew in the background :lips: ) to put some refining touches on the hilt. Thanks to Eets for some good ideas. Here's what changed:

New "wheel" button on the back of the hilt---adds balance to the other two---that controls the length. "I see your schwartz is as big as mine".

Also, I reskinned the red areas of the model to resemble metal and to give Eets more leeway in his skin.

Have a look at this screenshot:

saberalaris1.1.jpg

I sent out this model last night only to those who requested the hilt. I will fix the aforementioned issue with the player model and resend both to everyone else as soon as I can. Thanks again everyone for your input.

You know, alaris... I finally put a scrolly wheel on the saber, kinda like yours, but a little different. All that was left to do was UVW Map it. (Which I incidentally have no idea how to do) Then suddenly... Gmax crashed. :(

It's all good though. I like your size modifier too :D

it's all in the readme.....if you want mp, just put alaris.pk3 in your base folder. If you want SP, you have to put both alaris.pk3 and kyle2alaris.pk3 in the base folder.

In order for a model to work in SP, there has to be the original model pakked up, and the same exact model pakked up again with the naming conventions of the character that it's replacing (in this case kyle).

Archived