Home

Buying New Video Card...

Overlord22

Hi all, i've been having lots of trouble with my GeForce 2 MX|400 ever since patch 1.03, lots of random freeze-ups and fps slowdowns. I am going to buy a new video card soon in hopes of getting better performance, and hopefully stopping the random freezing and crashing of my computer.

So far, I've been trying to decide between GeForce 4 Ti 4200, and Ati Radeon 8500. Was wondering if anyone has had any problems with either of these cards so far,(any freezing on other GeForce cards as well..?) and which people would recommend to buy more.

Well, the main reason (or one of them) at least that im buying new card is to stop the infinite sound/video loop problem lots of GeForce users have been having. Was kinda hoping that if i got the GeForce 4 i know it'd have better performance, but would it still freeze? Also i havent heard about anyone crashing/freezing with the 8500, so thats another thing i have to take into consideration..

I am pretty sure that the only cause of a continuation of whatever you are experiencing would be that the source of your problem is something else. However, there is only one way to find out in buying a new video card. Also, when you buy one, don't think about what could have been. Don't have any regrets and you will be a lot happier :)

Originally posted by Overlord22

Well, the main reason (or one of them) at least that im buying new card is to stop the infinite sound/video loop problem lots of GeForce users have been having. Was kinda hoping that if i got the GeForce 4 i know it'd have better performance, but would it still freeze? Also i havent heard about anyone crashing/freezing with the 8500, so thats another thing i have to take into consideration..

I have no sound issues at all with the GF4, but I didnt with the 8500 either. I bought my GF4 (Nvidia retail box) off of pricewatch.com for $130.00. To to me the $30 more spent was well worth it. A friend of mine had one and after playing JKII on his computer I saw how much better of a card it was, of course thats my opinion, no one else's. The 15 fps gain I reffered to was in where it counts, during playing in busy/congested areas with lots of players in a huge melee.

In closing, I don't think you can go wrong with either card, I own both, have played JKII with both, and both are solid and great performers. Either way you go you will be happy.

Kaan

Man Im using my Voodoo4 with wicked GL drivers and it looks great..getting about 60fps in multi at 1024x768 32 bit col

I knwo I do need to upgrade soon too..very soon..but Not until mt Voodoo4 does not work with anything...but I will get a G-force card when i DO UPGRADE

If that's what you want do it :)

I have to say nvidia has some great support for their product line. I like how their drivers are universal for all their video cards post TNT era. Only thing I am not happy about is their lack of support of the Voodoo line after purchasing it.

I personally have a Visiontek GeForce 3 and the only problem I've ever run into is that the detonator drivers are incompatible with the game Starship Troopers. That is the only problem I have EVER had with nvidia. Great company. Only downside is they're pretty barebones when it comes to non gaming features.

I had that sound bug, I figured the card was overheating (it happened in other games too, but not as much). Of course, I had the game set to a high res and all the effects to high/highest. So I tweeked the settings. I put the modle detail and texture detail (I think those were it) and put them on medium, and I have not had a problem since.

Archived