Home

Trivia tidbit for the baseball-inclined

Rogue Nine

Searching through various statistics, I happened to come across a very interesting anomaly while looking though the balloting for the All-Star Game. In the National League, Pittsburgh right fielder Armando Rios is currently 13th in the outfield voting with 195,250 votes. Right behind him is Los Angeles rightfielder Shawn Green with 188,648 votes. Now this may not seem so weird, but to anyone who's been paying attention to baseball recently, it should stick out like a sore thumb. A few weeks ago, Shawn Green blasted four home runs in a single game, a feat that has only been performed a handful of times. And that was only the start of his tear. Since then he has compiled completely ridiculous statistics. And what has Armando Rios done in that time? Have a measly 9 RBI and a trip to the DL. What is up with that?

Here are their lines:

Armando Rios

All-Star Votes: 195,250

Games Played: 34

At Bats: 109

Runs Scored: 14

Hits: 28

Home Runs: 0

Runs Batted In: 9

Stolen Bases: 0

Batting Average: .257

Slugging Average: .321

On-Base Percentage: .325

Shawn Green

All-Star Votes: 188,648

Games Played: 77

At Bats: 285

Runs Scored: 60

Hits: 80

Home Runs: 25

Runs Batted In: 63

Stolen Bases: 4

Batting Average: .281

Slugging Average: .604

On-Base Percentage: .379

Anyone notice a little discrepancy? My theory to explain this anomaly is because Rios's name comes right before Sammy Sosa's alphabetically in the outfielder list, some people indavertently voted for Mr. Rios. We've got a repeat of FloridaGate here. Oh well.

Its all about fan appeal. Often times fabs vote for the players they want to see in the all-star game rather than who should be in the game. This is just one more reason why i'd like to see sports writers choose the lineup. They know who deserves to be in the game whereas many fans don't.

Yeah.. what IS up with that? The Pirates have been mediocre at best, NONE of their position players deserve to get a single VOTE. *Knows H-arms and Masta will disagree with preceeding sentence*

There have also been some more offenses.. even GREATER ones

1. Roberto Alomar, New York 568,838

2. Jose Vidro, Montreal 551,013

Now, I know to the casual onlooker this is fine, but Alomar is having a **** (pardon the language) of a season. And Vidro is one of the more underexposed players in the game.. Tie is right on the money about who the fans WANT to see rather than who SHOULD be there eh?

Giles definitely deserves to go to the All-Star game, especially with the season he's having. Mike Williams is a good closer, but there are a lot better closers in the National League like John Smoltz, Danny Graves, Robb Nen and the best damn closer this year, Eric Gagne. If I had to argue for any other player on the Pirates, it would be Kip Wells. He's having a great season, his first with the Pirates. He deserves to go to the All-Star Game.

Don't get me started on Alomar. He has done jack**** this year for the Mets. What a disappointment. Jose Vidro deserves to start for the NL. Next in line should be Jeff Kent who's really turned things around as of late.

Archived