Home

Can i have more than 1 "simple patch mesh" in a level?

Quall

I made a level using the "simple patch mesh" to create the floor, and the 4 surrounding walls. My .bsp won't create, so I wanted to know if it is possible to have more than 1 side of my level created with the "simple patch mesh" option. It sure makes walls easier to create.

Make your floor out of a normal,structural brush. Patches are "considered" detail and if in contact with the void, will cause a leak.

But yes, it's certainly possible to have many patch meshes in a level.

I got the .bsp to create, but whenever i try to start my level, i get an error message that says "MAX_PATCH_PLANES". My map is 1 big room, the top is caulk with the yavin shader, the sides are the all patch meshes, and the floor is caulk with a textured face. Behind the meshes i have a blank caulk, fitting with the top and bottem to make a box.

"ERROR: MAX_PATCH_PLANES

The visible brush face is being split too many times. Extra vertex points are created by q3map on visible face edges, where they are split by other visible face points (corners, or vertices). So if you have too many visible face points touching the edges of another face, that particular face will be split many times and have many vertex points."

Sounds like your patches have too many damn verticies. If they are flat walls, just use brushes. If they are bent or curved or something, cut down on the number of splits when you create the patch.

Archived