Home

Origin of Guybrush Threepwood's Name

Guest King Andrei

Guest King Andrei

Okay, I think "Threepwood" actually comes from Threepio. (3PO)

As for "Guybrush" I don't think it's a fictional name like in MI2 says. A few years ago I was watching Blinky Bill on Cartoon Network and in the end they'd showed Credits (the complete list of people who made the cartoon.) And on the credits list there were a lot of people called Guybrush. Isn't that actually an Australian name?

Guybrush got his name because that in DPaint you saved pictures in files with the last name "brush". Like "filename.brush" At the time they started Monkey Island they didn't have a name for the hero so they just named him "guy" so the file ended up with the name "guy.brush" After a while Ron Gilbert decided that it should be his name.

"Threepwood" was decided by a company contest.

Guybrush's last name "Threepwood" was in a 1965 book with a character called Galahad Threepwood.

Galahad at Blandings (The Brinkmanship of Galahad Threepwood) by PG Wodhouse

Calvin.gifHobbes.gif and Grannen

Originally posted by Grannen

Guybrush got his name because that in DPaint you saved pictures in files with the last name "brush". Like "filename.brush" At the time they started Monkey Island they didn't have a name for the hero so they just named him "guy" so the file ended up with the name "guy.brush" After a while Ron Gilbert decided that it should be his name.

"Threepwood" was decided by a company contest.

Guybrush's last name "Threepwood" was in a 1965 book with a character called Galahad Threepwood.

Galahad at Blandings (The Brinkmanship of Galahad Threepwood) by PG Wodhouse

ahem, coutesy of WOMI

just in case you were going to take the credit for yourself, not that i'm saying you would do that of couse (no really, i know you wouldn't do that, this is just a link for people who want to know more about this.)

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

ahem, coutesy of WOMI

just in case you were going to take the credit for yourself, not that i'm saying you would do that of couse (no really, i know you wouldn't do that, this is just a link for people who want to know more about this.)

Of course I found the info on Internet! I made a search for "Guybrush Threepwood" and on "Blanding" (and author). :)

But I admit I should have given credit to WOMI, sorry fot that. :o

Calvin.gifHobbes.gif and Grannen

well, i don't exactly work for womi or anything, so i guess i shouldn't've (can i do that to a word?) said that. never mind (this is how arguments are avoided on EFMI, a concept lost on some people here, but not us, mentioning no names at all **coughnamescough**):D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived