Home

Creating Double Bladed sabers using Tags

Wei St Paliv

When making a Saber model.

When you put the tags in, where you put the tag for the emmiter, what happens if you clone that tag and put it at the other end of the saber.

I am probably just an Idiot here, but I think that JK2 looks for the Tag with the command "Make blade come from target_blahblah"

So if there is two tags, will 2 Blades be emmited?

And further more will they work how we want like mauls blades.

Someone try, me is too thick! :)

You know... this might work. What you would have to do, however, is have the tag a meter or so down from the bottom of the handle... and it would not look right turning on, but it should work. See, if you simply put it in the base of the handle, I think [though I could be mistaken] that it would simply extend through the grip towards the other blade. Unless the tag's direction is actually used... actually... okay, forgive the stream of consciousness here but as I talk more ideas come. I've seen a light "scythe" someone made, where the blade does not come straight out of the grip. It goes off to the side. That means, if the blade's tag is directly opposite from the original blade's tag, at either end of the grip....

Woo. Someone try this, please?

Yes thats what I mean.

THe Tag that is at the top of the Saber obviously has a direction, cause we have seen the scyth that guy made, so the Blade Has a direction.

SO someone make a Saber.

Eg. Darth Mauls. Then clone the tag and flip it 180 Degrees to face south.

then move it to where the Blade would come out the bottom of the saber. Then do whatever to get it in game and see what JK2 makes of the two target_saberemit(I dunno if thats right :p)

THen maybe I hope that TWO blades will come out.

Hopefully. Someone try it. Like this:

[TAG UP]

_____

\___/

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

/-----\

-------

[TAG DOWN]

BOth Tags have the same Target name.

Will this work?

hey,

i tried this on friday night in about 5 seconds and i didnt get it to work. needless to say, i havent done any modelling tutorials and used milkshape for the first time about a week ago.

i made a bo staff for my ninja mod/level im making and i got the saber tags to work.

there are two tags, *flash and *parent (i did read that you were meant to rename them to tag_flash and tag_parent but i didnt). im assuming that the parent tag is where the hand is positioned and the flash tag is where the light comes out?

for the double saber, i duplicated one of the tags, and the saber came out the bottom (of the second saber) but didnt come through the top. im wondering if perhaps someone with a little more skill and knowledge than i can try this coz it just might work if you know what you are doing.

also, wouldnt there be a md3 or glm for the "destroyer" double bladed saber? if there is, maybe we can extract that from somewhere and just pk3 it? im sure everyone has thought of that but maybe me mentioning it again will bring us luck

~* beau *~

I'm willing to guess with thedestroyer, the game is coded to use one emitter, calculate a proper distance for the grip, and extend to blades from one emitter, one of which starts at that grip-length distance away from the tag.

*sighs* I refuse to give up.

You say it comes out the bottom, yes? Can you send that to me? I'd like to play around with it and with the animations of the various stances. I've got an idea in my head that I'd like to test. If it's not too much to ask, could you send it as an attachment to harukaze@jk.jk2edit.com? Thanks!

Tried this trick out long ago, and sadly, it doesnt work.

jo.jpg

See? JO only selects one tag to go from, and with two tags, you get some pretty weird results, as shown above.

I havent really spent any time looking at how /THEDESTROYER works, but this tag idea definatly doesnt.

hey harukaze,

did you want me to make you a saber with the blade coming out the bottom of the handle?

ive tried a few different combinations with the tag_flash (multiple tag_flash and multiple *flash) etc but nothing seemed to work. i just realised that i hadnt altered the control file! so now ill have to do all that again and alter the control file each time as well. at least im getting some practise with milkshape haha

~* beau *~

okies.

well i made it. it actually works pretty cool

i like the side swipe action with the medium stance and the front chop down attack with the heavy stance.

against a standard reborn, the medium stance blocked everything without me trying to attack and it wacked his saber out of his hands heaps.

a temporary link to the pk3 file for the upsidedownsaber is:

http://www.drop-d.com.au/jk2/upsidedownsaber.pk3

a compilation screenshot of me testing the saber is at:

http://www.drop-d.com.au/jk2/upsidedownsaber.jpg

also, do you have any ideas about the problems im having with my ninja level/mod thing? its prolly on the second page now of the general forum. i have a few queries about different things.

~* beau *~

*worships dirt* ^_^

Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this out [but I gotta follow through with my promised screenshots for my Zabrak skin first]. This replaces Kyle's saber, correct? Or the default saber in MP? Ah hell, I'll just pop open the pk3 and find out for myself ^_^

The tag_flash is what the code uses to determine where and what direction the blade emits from and to. Hopefully I will be able to alter this in real time, so with the hit of a key the blade can be switched. Either that or a find away to flip the saber hilt probably using the tag_parent info.

Harukaze, no problems. its for kyle in SP. im assuming that kyle in MP uses the same saber? Im glad to be able to create something that is useful hehe

NickR, are you saying that you could make the blade go from normal position to upsidedown (reverse) position with the hit of a key? is there any way to code it so that the flash tag is multiplied?

I did have another thought but I dont think Im able to do it. Ill give it a try if a couple of people are interested still. I was thinking of having the normal saber but extending it backwards and creating the saber handle (hilt?) but also modelling the blade and skinning it like the blade as well. so basically you have one real saber in the normal position and a skinned saber in the other position? Im not sure if it would work and there would be no trail from the second saber (but if its just to have SP against say darth maul), then it might be cool anyways? I guess there might be a shader or something you could apply but I dont know anything about that either hehe

I was thinking of using this method to get the second saber (like anakin had in AOTC). but it would be easily messed up unless you could get the model (character) to only use their right hand to hold the saber and you could position the second 'skinned' saber to the left hand. i think there are too many movements and animations for this to be possible.

~* beau *~

ihavedirt@hotmail.com

1. LEC = bastards, they'll never release SP code :(

2. I've done the upside down saber before. It almost looks perfect with the Tavion/Desann stances. I tried angling the model out about 22.5 degrees so it would clear the player model, but then it just totally jacked up the saber...

Archived