Home

LAN Party

LINK-ER

I'm planning on having a LAN party at my house (mainly for JK2, Starcraft, Diablo, and DS). I really need to know what kinda stuff I need like, Hubs, Ethernet cards, etc... I know that everyone has to wag their computers and stuff though (and if someone's comp lags they're dead LOL). Thx for your help.

Yes LANPARTY.com rox

You'll need a good HUB. I have a Netgear HUB with an uplink switch.

The biggest problems we have is DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF GAMES. Like Somebody isn't playing with JO2 v.1.0.3, etc. Make sure everybody uses the same versions to save yourself a headache.

Another tip: make sure you have your cabling, layer 2 & layer 3 designs in place on paper before plugging anythign in. If you can spare it build a lil computer to be a file server so you can keep the latest game patches, directx, whatever on the LAN. Also make sure that if ppl are showing up have a working computer... having to walk a guy through bid card jumpers or somesuch nonesense when youre trying to play takes all the fun out. :)

Originally posted by Skuttle24

shouldn't this be in yoda's swamp?

LOL, it should be. Oh well :)

Headphones are a must. It's annoying trying to guess which sounds are coming from your computer. :rolleyes:

Make sure your Local Network is the same on all computers. What OS are you running. Make sure to set it up for TCP/IP and Microsoft file sharing. If you want to transfer files you might have to right click on your Hard drive icon and select file sharing.

LAN parties are easy once you've done a few. We've had 30 person parties before. It's a blast! :D :D :D

Originally posted by Skuttle24

shouldn't this be in yoda's swamp?

I thought it belonged in Yoda's swamp BUT, Yoda's swamp is for stuff not pretaining to JK2. This is a JK2 LAN Party so it belongs in the JK2 General place.

hey i heard a good protocol setup for LAN parties is to have everyone set NETBEUI as their first protocol andn TCP/IP as the second one. NETBEUI is supposedly faster in a LAN but it can't go on the web. use TCP/IP to go online. also inform people what games will be played mostly. it's just a touch frustrating to spend an hour getting everyone on the same page with games. if you have a switch put it in the middle with tables around it, so people won't be unplugging network cords. i may not know much about cabling but i am familiar with the things that make a LAN more pleasant.

I wish I could get Broadband. We aren't gonna be playin on the internet. We'll be playing through the lan. What tools will I need. I know I need Ethernet cards for each comp. Also I need a Hub. What else? Do I HAVE to have a computer that's the Server? If so can I still play on that computer too?

Originally posted by deliboy007

hey i heard a good protocol setup for LAN parties is to have everyone set NETBEUI as their first protocol andn TCP/IP as the second one. NETBEUI is supposedly faster in a LAN but it can't go on the web. use TCP/IP to go online. also inform people what games will be played mostly. it's just a touch frustrating to spend an hour getting everyone on the same page with games. if you have a switch put it in the middle with tables around it, so people won't be unplugging network cords. i may not know much about cabling but i am familiar with the things that make a LAN more pleasant.

NetBEUI would be fine for the whole windows file sharing aspect of a LAN party, but most games will run off of the IP or IPX protocols.

Yeah, ditch Netbeui or Netbios over TCP/IP.. Enable IPX for file sharing *ONLY* if your Broadband Internet connection is causing IP issues on the LAN. I WOULD recommend a dedicated server just for the fact that even at LAN parties, the HOST usually has a slight advantage. And any slow down the host has, everyone has, and the host usually recovers first.

Archived