Home

Need advice on Server Rules

QuietSith

What should the server rules be?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What should the server rules be?

• Chat = IRC, Saber down = you die, now fight.
    • Saber down = Peace, Chat = Peace, violators kicked.

I can go in two directions.

The first one is current:

Saber down = peace, no chat kills, no assfighting (even though the mod I'm running stops it).

It's non-stop policing, and I am finding that:

People often abuse the rules by putting saber down, and running around telling others to stop killing them.

Someone will sit there and chat box for a few minutes and not expect anyone to kill them - isn't this a server not a chat line?

These are my concerns.

Are these rules better:

Chat = IRC, Saber down = you die, now fight.

Or is it better to constantly have admin monitoring it and kicking saber down attackers and chat killers (including people running around with saber down and attacking.

Which is better?

Okay the problem I've encountered with chat bubble:

Someone will just use it in the middle of a fight, stand in the middle of battles, and basically tempt others to hit them with it - or just simply chat for the next 5 minutes.

Once a person hits them they will vote to kick the person off or coming crying to me that the person is a chat killer.

Do you see the problem?

I'm not arguing with opinions conveyed here just clarifying my concerns.

There are always exceptions to the "rule." Don't get me wrong. The game shouldn't be used AS a chat program. One should not have a chat bubble for more than a few seconds to type a sentence or 2. And those that use it to lure people don't count either. For them, it's open season, imo.

I'm used to a more "controlled" sever where voting is disabled. Llamas are reported to the server admin (he sits next to me at work, so I can REALLY bug him!) and things are taken from there. We had banned one guy, but his appology, which seems sincere, lifted that ban.

But, I understand exactly what you are saying.

Yep, like someone was telling me via a chat.

If you have so many rules you create a lot gray areas for them to be abused.

He was so right.

This is my idea for server rules - simple:

Chat = IRC, Saber down = you die. Respect duels.

My Jedi vs Merc sever used to be Chat=don't kill...but I got sick and tired of kicking and voting every 5 mins cause someone claimed someone else was a "type-killer" so I just added "If you want to chat HIDE or SPECTATE, it's a game, not a chat room." to the server messenger. HUGE LOAD off my back.:cool:

Two things I'd like to try... winning a saber duel using only force and kicks (saber off the whole time) and the other (much tougher) using ONLY the damage from touching them with the unswung blade!

I just wish that Mon Mothma would yell "HUMILIATION!" when you did that... ; )

Originally posted by Lord Nodata

My Jedi vs Merc sever used to be Chat=don't kill...but I got sick and tired of kicking and voting every 5 mins cause someone claimed someone else was a "type-killer" so I just added "If you want to chat HIDE or SPECTATE, it's a game, not a chat room." to the server messenger. HUGE LOAD off my back.:cool:

Yep, it's really true. You're there to play not chat. That's what IRC is for.

Did you turn off voting or leave it on?

Originally posted by Kurgan

Two things I'd like to try... winning a saber duel using only force and kicks (saber off the whole time) and the other (much tougher) using ONLY the damage from touching them with the unswung blade!

I just wish that Mon Mothma would yell "HUMILIATION!" when you did that... ; )

Lol, I do the first one constantly, not to show off or anything, I just have the timing on kicks down and I know when to and when not to use them.

The second one is kind of tough unless you count the "flip-up" after a knock down where you spin and impale someone on your saber.

Other than that, rolling into someone with your saber drawn usually gives them damage and not you.

Archived