Home

Art Changes?

Darth Windu

Ok, here is a major gripe i have with lucasarts. They used mostly original art, which is ok, but they made the canon art one of the lower upgrades most of the time! Might not see like a major issue but to me, it gives it more of a 'star wars' feel to see N-1's, TIE fighters and X-wing's buzzing around the sky, so i will now post what art changes i would like-

1. Change the fighter/bomber art so that the adv fighter/bomber is the canon art.

2. Same for the trade fed mech destroyer (AAT)

3. Change the air cruiser art to the major ships in the movies (ie TF Battleship, blockade runner, star destroyer, republic cruiser etc)

4. Make the Jedi look more jedi - and give 50:50 green/blue sabre's

Guest DarthMaulUK

I actually have the template that allows people to use the Death Star & the other ships in a Scenario. I'm just waiting to add the finishing touches to the new look site before I add them.

If people want it, email me.

dm@galacticbattlegrounds.co.uk

DMUK

Some more idea's-

-change the Republic transport to the Transport used by palpatine at the end of Ep1 or the clone transport in Ep2 . Apart from looking more like a military transport's, the one used at the moment is for refugee's, not the clone army.

-change the TF transport to the lander, preety much self-explanitory.

i always wondered why transports never got shields...

Also thought of another change,

-give the Republic AT-TE (assault mech) only one 'beam' when it fires. Kepp the area of effect and firepower the same, it just looks a little silly to me with it running around with a big gun on top, yet using its two smaller guns as its main weapons.

Transports seem to be fairly hearty against AA troop/artillery attacks. It's possible LA decided that since they were decently protected that they didn't need shields. Or maybe they decided shields would get in the way of offloading troops. *shrugs* Maybe if they made it so you had to land the transports then spent a little time loading/unloading then they'd give them shields while in flight. :)

Kryllith

ok, wit the whole air cruiser/transport thing, what if the clone transport was the air cruiser, and republic transport at the end of ep1 was the transport.

Also, make more non-human jedi.

Another thing - change the way the Republic AT-TE walks. In the movies its a huge, powerful mechanical monster that installs fear in its enemies. In CC it walks like a retarded rhino!!! Treat the body as one section, not two, and make it more movie-like in its walking.

Mhmm. Art changes. Good good.

Windu, on your ideas:

1) Fighter/bomber.... um....... Empire for one is practically movies. Would you have the ordinary Tie Fighter as the advanced????

Naboo i agree with..... the real N-1 is the fast fighter i think. Droids same thing... never seen naboo/confed/republic bombers, so i wouldn't know.

Rebels.... the 'heavy Y-Wing' is a joke. I hate it. It's too big and looks...... absolutely..... WRONG. X-Wings... the advanced still looks like an X-Wing, and an X-Wing/TIE defender battle is still good.

Gungans- no idea. Didn't even know they had aircraft till GB.

2) umm... what's wrong with the AAT?

3) Star destroyer!? blockade runner!? droid control ship!??!?!?!?!?!??!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

sorry, but consider realism. Star Destroyers- other than victorys- do not have atmospheric capabilities. Neither do droid control ships. Star destroyers are bigger than blockade runners, bigger than fortresses..... bigger than cities i think. Several kms long.

The Imp Air cruiser's sound is, "This isn't a Star Destroyer, but it'll do the job" or some such is incredibly accurate. SD's could level bases from orbit. You're being unrealistic.

4) If you've gone to the thread on "ideas for SwGb 2," you'll know that I am a staunch supporter of this idea. But 50:50 blue/green doesn't even begin to cover it. Though I suppose for just battle padawans, knights and masters, it's OK. I like orange sabers though... and nobody has one... :( At least the hero jedi have different coloured sabers.

I personally compared the At-Te to a turtle. And when we're on the topic of guns, why don't we make every assault mech's guns emit from WHERE THEY ARE ON THE GRAPHIC!!!!

It's rather odd to see lasers coming out of the front of the MTT- where the battle droid racks normally come out. :confused:

Transports...... we're discussing art, not gameplay, right? I personally think the transport is fine. It shouldn't be able to survive without fighter/bomber support.

When you say lander, do you mean that massive thing? Look at it! It carries hundreds of mechs, troopers, etc. etc. You'd have to severely reduce it in size, make it fly sideways (to have the same dimensions as the other landers)....... it just doesn't fit.

Darth Windu---what if the republic didn't have a seperate transport, but could transporttroops in its air cruisers or in a Gunship unit? That would tie in with the movies and give you your much wanted gunship.

CorranSec---

Don't you think its a little bit odd to discuss "realism" about a game based on a movie where people can summon objects to them with their minds, the most-feared bad guy is on an iron lung, an entire culture of bumbling sea people exists, the laws of inertia have no effect on a flying spaceship, sounds can be heard in space, and people live on after death as freaky glowing blue spirits? :)

I think a star destroyer and other recognizable movie ships would just be a lot more fun than some weird air cruiser thing. Who cares if its not entirely movie accurate? Its still sort of close. Just pretend its up in space if you like.

Also, you talk about movie accuracy and "realism" but then mention an orange lightsaber....where exactly are there orange lightsabers in the movies? I've only seen red, green, blue, and that one purple one.

I mentioned the cutting out of the Rep transport at the beginning of this, but decided it was a little too harsh since it cuts the Rep's ability to transfer mechs, artillery, and the like (which would be especially limiting on a space map). Alternately, I suggested placing a limitation on the Rep's primary transports (carrying capacity and/or unit types).

Kryllith

Either way. I kind of like the idea that the gunships would only be able to transport man-sized units (laser/aa/grenade troopers, workers, medics, and jedi only). Would seem weird if stuck an assault mech in a gunship. Of course, if the purpose of modifying the gunship is to make it more like the movie, then they could have smaller transports like the one that dropped a single assault mech.

Kryllith

Exactly....but that gets into the whole argument that Mechs should take up more space in transports and therefore be able to fit less per ship. Starcraft had a system where troops took up one unit and mechs took up two (or something, I don't remember right now). That was cool.

Hm. Well.

Jcb----- On the topic of realism, all the things you mentioned are shown in the movies. I'm talking about in-game realism and the astoundingly irritating issue of Scale.

Sure, it might look and sound good, but for me at least it'd be rather confusing to see an SD the same size as a big gungan eyeball thingy, a Droid Control Ship and a blockade runner, which are all about the same size as a Prefab Shelter. :confused:

Maybe if you wanted 'movie ships,' you could get something smaller than the biggest ships in the fleet. Empire could have Dreadnaughts. Rebels could have something Mon Cal.

Orange saber... Did you notice i said "and nobody has one"??

I always use one in JK2. That's all. I wasn't seriously suggesting that, that's just a wish.

And........ this thread is rapidly turning into the Gunship debate.... could I request that you discuss this in the Gunship thread? And vote! Pleaaase, please vote!

(note: i'm not telling you off about discussing it here, it's just that I think Windu needs more voters.)

Am I right Windu?

Originally posted by jcb231

Exactly....but that gets into the whole argument that Mechs should take up more space in transports and therefore be able to fit less per ship. Starcraft had a system where troops took up one unit and mechs took up two (or something, I don't remember right now). That was cool.

Yeah, there's a push towards that too. The repub transports would be even more limited, possibly down to a single assault mech or 2 of something smaller (and not designed for troop transport). Since they'd be smaller transports they'd have less hps too. But, they could also be cheaper to make.

Kryllith

corran - thats right, i need everyone to vote! I disagree with you about the air cruisers and lander. So what if they would be out of scale? I would prefer the canon vehicles. Besides, the Republic one states that it is a 'Republic Starship'

Not sure about the orange sabre. The reason i said the 50:50 mix of green and blue lightsabre's was because excluding the jedi council, all of the jedi use those two colours exclusively.

Dreadnaughts aren't in the movies.

I want movie ships for air cruisers....the scale could be adjusted somewhat so that SDestroyers were bigger than blackade runners, etc....or I could just pretend that the SDest was farther away and thus smaller to my eyes.. :)

Windu, it's not scale i'm talking about, it's balance. In a weird way. Sd's are waaaaaaaaaaay more powerful than all those little cruisers. Wouldn't really make sense.

Although I admit that some of the names are, shall we say, lacking creative appeal? LAATAK was ok, but...........

"Republic Starship..." damn, you'd think LA would work a bit harder.

Same for the ships. Hvy Destroyer is called- Hvy Destroyer! WOW!Jcb, scale disrupts balance. The bigger the ship, all the more hull for the AA stuff and fighters to hit.

On the topic of transports, I think it's just a little unbalancing and plain weird if 7 civs have transports as long rectangles, and the Trade Fed's is a wide rectangle.

For the third time!

The Orange Saber is just an idea. I'm fine with 50/50 green/blue. Orange saber is just something that I like, and i wish somebody had one. Just a wish!

Well the reason i want the movie ships is for the star wars feel. I realise that some people may feel the same way about SD's etc that i do about the gunship, but then there are always other ships (except the TF). As i said, its more of the 'feel' of the game rather than a balance or gameplay issue.

Also, i dont think the having the lander as the TF transport would be unbalancing, its load/hp/armour etc would change. Besides, it is the TF transport in the movies at least, so why create a new one?

Um.

Windu- What do you mean, people feel the same way about SD that you do for the gunship? and what do you mean "there are other ships"?

The Lander is not the TF transport. If the Viceroy and his elite bodyguard droids want to go from Theed to some other Naboo place, would they call in the huge Lander? it wouldn't even fit inside the palace garden!

Look at the ones they have now in the game, as a toybox unit. Big. Big sums it all up.

The 'feel' of the game would suffer with the Lander as a transport. As a transport, they would greatly differ from their role in the movie- and i thought you wanted it to be specifically like the movies!

As for the 'cap ships' issue, the point of Air Cruisers is not that they are big battleships that carry thousands of troops, multiple squadrons of fighters and bombers, and a whole bunch of mechs.

They are small cruisers that the various races use in-atmosphere.

corran - we arent talking about VIP transports here, we are talking military transports, and as we say in ep1 the lander is the TF transport.

Also wht the ships thing, i really want the gunship, you might really not want the SD in the game. What i meant by the 'other ships' is if you use the SD, there is always the SSD, use the blockade runner, there is the mon cal cruiser etc.

Archived