Home

Demos

Reiver

I remember something about this a long time ago, but what I seem to remember was that you had to do something to give a bunch of frames from what you were recording and then compile them into a .avi file. I'm not quite sure, but that's all I remember. :)

I keep answering my own questions. I found this on the Style Over Substance mod forums.

[soS]Vereon

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make AVI's out of game demo's since a lot of people have been asking about it:

After recording your demo you need to do two things. First get an audio recording of the demo, and secondly get a series of screenshots to make the video part of the avi. I Just used regular sound recorder to get the audio part tho there are other programs available to record with. Just simply start it recording, jump in game and play back the demo, quit the game once the demo is done and stop the audio recorder. You then need to trim audio file so it will sync up with the video.

To get the series of screenshots, start up JK2, go to the console, and type "cl_avidemo #", where # represents the number of screenshots per second you want JK2 to produce, this directly translates to how many FPS your AVI will be. I used 20 for the video's on our website. After typing in the cl_avidemo command, playback the demo you wish to convert. The process will be much slower than watching a demo normally. Once it's done you'll have a series of screenshots in your /screenshots directory which you can use in any video editing program to make the AVI. You can import the screenshots and your audio file into programs such as Microsoft Movie Maker and Adobe Premiere. Make sure you specify a codec to compress the data in whatever program you use. I suggest using DivX 5.0 as you get very good quality with small file sizes. Also don't forget to reduce the size of your video as the screenshots will be at whatever resolution you normally play the game at.

That's it for anyone who wants to know. I will now be able to make my video. Awesome!

Ack! Sounds like a pain to me!

I'd just use a video capture utility from desktop.

1)Start the capture program

2)Start JO2 demo

3) Press the hotkey combo to record/stop, etc.

I downloaded the VIRO demo/avi. It uses the same idea and it only took the guy a few minutes with no excessive editing. Cool huh?

If I find the program again I'll post the link ASAP. I've got a few vids I want to make too. :D

Archived