Home

1.04, CTF players nightmare

Blade25552

I D/Led 1.04 when it came out yesterday, and decided to try it out. The CTF Server that I play on ,luckly already supported 1.04. So I went in and thought I'd try it out with the other 30 people in there. I played around with it for a while, noticing that the saber has zero immediate effectiveness, and EVERYONE else entirely agreed with me. I mean sure, the patch is fine for game types like FFA/TFFA and duels, but CTF its a whole different thing. You dont have the time to just fight people with your saber, there is a more important objective that just that if you havnt already guessed.

Now all Im seeing is people running around with a flechett and absorb on, in 1.03 that wasnt ever a difficult opponent if you know what to do with your saber. Now in 1.04, its almost impossible to kill him. It takes several hits with any saber style to kill now, and fighting an enemy gunner thats trying to clear out a path for his flagger is impossible. You cant get right up to him and IF you some how do, your not going to have time to get 4 medium slashes on him.

Also think, trying to defend your flag with a saber in 1.04. Someone grabs your flag, that flagger isnt going to wait around while you 'duel' him with your saber. Hes going to run like mad, and thusly turns your saber into a worthless weapon for defending. But in 1.03 you could always get infront of him as he makes his escape and exucute the backslash and kill him.

Finally, imagine a stand off (where both teams have eachothers flag) in 1.03. You go in with your saber and have mind trick and lvl3 seeing on. You locate the enemy flagger, quickly walk up to him, get your back to him (with mind trick still on ofcourse) and backslash! Hes dead and your flag is returned before he even knew what hit him. Now in 1.04 and you attempt the same thing, it hurts the flagger, he and the rest of the enemy defenders are known to your presence and the flagger starts running from you while everyone else is trying to kill you. All the flagger has to do is keep moving and you can never kill him with your saber...pretty sad huh.

In all, I suppose the patch was good for those other gameplays, nerfing the people who ran around backwards swinging their saber hoping someone stupid would get behind them. But now in CTF the saber is 99% (in all saber styles) useless unless you are on some remote plateform 'dueling' someone or wanting to deflect blaster shots. I really hope something can be done to help us CTF players who enjoy using the saber..and actually killing people with it.

Tell the server admin to do this:

seta g_saberghoul2collision 0 - Less Saber Blocking.

seta g_sabertracesaberfirst 0 - Less Saber Blocking.

seta g_saberdamagescale 4 - Saber Damage x 4 (Default 1)

(4x - Prevents special move and kick spam.)

Damagescale is something you'll want to tweak.

I enjoy 4 myself - very realistic and powerful sabers.

I.E. Blue and medium stances kills in about 2/3 good hits. Red often kills with 1-2, but has difficulty recovering.

Hrm, I don't eat bad food at home just in case my friend has bad food at his home.

The thing you could do is encourage other servers to use those settings.

I believe ladder competitions agree up on server settings for such competitions - shouldn't be to difficult to do with the game.

At least the settings exist for you to mess with.

I'm sure once admins of other servers find out how good the settings work, they'll join along - it really doesn't take much effort - just seek them out and talk to them.

You can even derive a certain code of naming servers to protray that the agreed upon settings are being followed, ex:

MDMB

Maximum Damage, Minimal Blocking.

Something like that.

They did the same thing pre-1.04 when the Ghoul 2 stuff helped against backstab (no longer needed now) - they put in server names GSD - Ghoul 2 on, SaberTrace off, Dismemberment on.

Just get social and talk to the server admins, I'm sure they'd want to hear from ya. :)

meh actually its a ctfers dream

ctf is supposed to be fast a furious not with gay little saber babies running around doing their arsestabbing thing

ctf is all about guns and now people will finally relise it

Originally posted by gooSoi

meh actually its a ctfers dream

ctf is supposed to be fast a furious not with gay little saber babies running around doing their arsestabbing thing

ctf is all about guns and now people will finally relise it

Get real, just because you like guns it doesn't mean everybody has to follow suit, does it?

The primary reason I like JK2 is because of the lightsaber, that simple. There are about 1000+ other FPS with CTF, but only this one has lightsabers&force. I am a HUGE star wars movies, so tell me ctf is all about guns and you'll soon find a red glowing rod sticking up your privates.. ;)

Btw, if those server variables really work I'll be the first to join the servers that use them. If there aren't any such servers with good enough ping for me I'll finally give up, 1.04 is just as bad as 1.03 for saber combats, and further stripped down.

Point taken Bill, but I really have to side with the others here - on a Gun Server, CTF is mostly about guns (Saber Only CTF = :o - Yawn, IMO). Not completely, mind you, but mostly - they just work better when trying to stop a flag carrier than the Speed 3 / Saber Attack Spam that some people try. However, try to tell me it's all about guns, and I too will lop your head off. Sabers are still in, particularly as a back-up or stylish venue in CTF - or as a weapon that newbies love to spam - but it's still a good weapon for those stubborn enemies that just don't die.

Just my $.02.

I have to agree with Blade. One hit kills are just lame to begin with. Playing with this tatic takes all the DRAMA and FUN out of the game. As a player who only playes duels and saber only team ffa, I must say that when I have played capture the flag one MUST use more than the saber. All the little traps and mines, you just gotta use em in order to be diverse enough to repel any attack or,GULP:( , capture of your flag :mob: It all about guns or at least ecclectic weapon use.

:dsaber:

Nihioteanka

:dsaber:

Originally posted by Blade25552

But, if you did that you'd get too used to it and when you would play in another server, you wouldnt know what to do. Any other CTF players feel the same way I do?

I agree to a point.

In a CTF or FFA server where all weapons are allowed saberdamagescale SHOULD be set up to 2, maybe 3, but not 4.

Duel servers leave it on 1

Kaan

Archived