Home

1.04 CTF now pointless

<>Phant0m<>

Originally posted by TKMaim

I've played against Infamous plenty of times and have never, ever seen him spam a move. He's one of the best people on any SO/CTF server I've seen. Sure, I got owned a ton of times by him and by others, but instead of coming on this board or others and whinning about why I can't compete. I did something about it. I learned. I watched. I spent time talking with some of the best.

You know what? I can compete with any of them now.

Well if its the same guy i played the other day all he did was run around kicking me constantly, thats spamming a move in my book, and when i asked him why hes kicking me he said "Bcus your spamming kick" :eek: I said "I only kicked you when you did specials like dfa and medium finisher" then he said i was spamming Heavy over head slash, i believe thats the over head slash is one of the counters for the kick.

I think it was down to his saber skills :eyeraise:

• 3 months later...

This is going to be a rant. I'm pissed. Extremely pissed. This patch is ridiculous. CTF games are now pointless, monotonous, boring, long, drawn out crap! I just finished, well I didn't finish, I quit the game at 35 minutes, because it was tied 1 to 1. I am seriously annoyed at all the nerfing that 1.04 has done. Now the common noob, can go out, purchase the game, update to the patch, and be on the top of the scoring without knowing anything about sabering, styles, etc. It's just horrendous. I want backstab back. None of the saber moves match their descriptions in the manual now.

BACKSTAB - It is a difficult move to time, but it is a fairly fast and devestating stab that can't be blocked. (from the manual)

Really? Fast? Devestating? Can't be blocked? What a load of crap. It's slow. Nerfed to about 25 pts of damage. And is now blocked often.

I know that the pull down/backstab move was being whored, but they fixed that with adjusting how pull works. They did not need to nerf backstab itself. Now there are no one hit kills. DFA sometimes, but not all the time. So games will now take forever. A lightside flag carrier can take a hit, run, and heal with either force heal or bacta. Games are never ending now and depend more upon luck then skill. I hope you anti-backstab crybabies are happy. You've made the game absolutely boring and tedious with practically no way to win based on skill. And those of you that say backstabbing someone took no skill...heh...you were the crybabies in the servers that bitched about being killed by it, but couldn't do it yourselves.

And don't even get me started on the jump-lunge move. That was a viable move. Now it's gone. Fine they wanted to get rid of people floating to safety, there are ways to do that without getting rid of the move entirely. They could have made it so you couldn't chain the move continously and that would have solved it, or something with timing it. But no, they just kill it outright. Yet they leave all the little bugs in the maps themselves like on CTF_Yavin with the invisible platforms people can get to. It's just ridiculous. Sorry if I sound like I'm bitching, well, that's because I am. I enjoyed 1.03, even with all the whoring of pull/backstab. Now the game is just lame and any noob can kill anyone who's been playing the game since it came out. Unbelievable.

Are you the same Infamous that goes by =X= Infamous?

If so, all I have to say is STFU. All you do is bitch. Everyserver I have seen you on its, bitch, bitch, bitch. You start pulling your lame crap and then someone schools you and all you do is start bitching. If this is not you then you'll get over it in a few minutes.

Btw, stop bitching.

I agree with you Darth_Infamous, CTF has become utter boredom now. I can tolerate Guns CTF a bit better because non of the guns have been nerfed, but the backstab used to be the only move that stood up to the guns, the only move that made the saber remotely useful in Guns CTF.

Today i've played several games of Sabs CTF, the latest one was after I did a lot of practise learning some new moves and combos. Learning these had little effect, the only stance which is of any use is Heavy, but as a 56k user I don't like it because its so inaccurate.

In the last game I gave up attacking and just did non-stop kicking, I scored more kills doing this than with the saber. Believe me this was more annoying to me and the other players than backstab and backswing ever were.

Gameplay modifications should be done one step at a time. 1.04 should have fixed ammo, and fixed pull. Then Raven should have got some feedbacl. then tweaked it a little more.

I agree that air-uppercut was a cheap move for escaping falls, but I don't like the way its been removed altogether.

CTF was my favourite gametype before the patch, now I can barely tolerate it.

Wouldn't the easiest way to combat the patch, would to be to get together with other people (preferably server administrators) and have them either run the most preferred patch by -all- people, or have the Admin. tweak the settings to make the game play more tolerable to all?

Just my two cents.

yep.. I agree.. Backstab should do A LOT more dmg.. It should be 1 hit kill.. Yet it takes like 4 to kill sum1 now.. IF they were going to fix patch, take out the pivot.. That would be more than enuff...BUT NOOOOO.. they had to take out all his dmg!..

OVERALL

It feels like 1.03, but without backstab... I think thats all they did

Yes, having played several games of CTF today (varying from Guns and Sabers), I've concluded that unless you stand still and literally let your enemie's team have at you with their lightsabers, CTF Sabers in v1.04 is completely boring.

Here's what I mean-

-20 minutes (assuming you could no longer take the boredom and killed yourself, since it seems to be more entertaining) of holding the flag which you'll never lose unless you get bored and kill yourself

-Why use your lightsaber when you have a perfectly good kick? (kick is literally better than the lightsaber)

-The heavy stance IS the only stance worth using

Yes, that is correct... you have a better chance of killing someone with your lightsaber if you let it simply graze their back repeatatively, which will spell ceartain doom for your opponent one hp at a time.

In Guns CTF, the saber is completely useless, and if an opponent is seen weilding the lightsaber into combat against your vast array of fire arms, your opponent may be considered a "free-kill".

The ONLY thing this patch is good for is putting a pacifier into all the mouths of those who found flaws in their non-talent with v1.03. That, and fixing the ammo consumption with two weapons (my ONLY problem with v1.03 was the ammount of ammo required for secondary fire with the Flechette and the Repeater).

Nerfing pull would have done the trick. For those of you who hated v1.03, you should have stayed with U104 instead of pestering Raven to officially release... this... this... thing.

-HooDWinkeR

Yeah...the programmers weren't thinking.

Here is how I think it should have worked.

You don't have to have someone right behind you to pull off the backslash/stab...instead, you do something, and it just happens. That way, you'd HAVE to time it right, and you COULDN'T spam it (if you tried, you'd keep doing the move, but hitting nothing, instead of the now, walking backwards swinging hoping to hit someone)...plus, pull and push range needed to be decreased, and pull needs to have it's re"cast" delay increased to 3-5 seconds (to prevent spam spam spam until someone falls).

There was NO reason to nerf backslash/stab

A lot of people continuosly whined about backstab/sweep demanding a patch to fix it. Raven has done just that and now people are whining wanting it back. Dont blame Raven, they gave the majority what they wanted.

At this point it seems no matter what kind of patch Raven puts out, some people are going to hate it.

Just got back from a sabers only CTF. Guess what. Score was 1 to 1 when I left. Guess how much time? On a 20 minute time limit server. 45 FREAKING MINUTES!!! And it wasn't because people were camping with the flags, or trying to find little exploits in the map. THEY ALL WERE TRYING. Ugh. And no offense to you gun lovers, but I hate em. Especially flechette. It's more luck then spam. Only gun servers I ever liked were the ones that modified the guns, like took out flechette and RL and sniper. Sigh. It started out as STAR WARS, now it's QUAKE4.

As far as us bitching about backstab. I rarely post here, but I always read. I seem to remember several threads discussing both sides. The backstab lovers, and the backstab haters that the only reason they didn't like it was because they couldn't do it effectively. Well, they cried enough about it and now the game is ruined IMO. If they woulda left backstab itself alone, and just adjusted pull this wouldn't even be a discussion. The backstab haters would be happy because it'd be harder to kill them with the pull/stab move. Everyone woulda been appeased because we'd still have our one hit kills.

Hope you all enjoy your 1 to 0 and 2 to 1 Saber Only CTF games. Because that's all that's gonna happen from here on out. It's a shame. And as for you Chret. If you're gonna run your mouth, atleast let me know who you are so I can respond. You obviously don't use that name in game because I have no idea who you are. And I've NEVER bitched about backstab. So shut your mouth. If you're gonna make accusations, bring some evidence. Or as we say on some other boards. Post proof or retract. I'll expect your retraction soon!

Guest Sabre9

Why on EARTH would you want to play Saber only CTF???

You as much admit it - with the one-hit kill move gone, Saber CTF is worthless. But to bring backstab back??? CTF is a Run and Gun game. Melee weapons don't work well when the object is to grab something, and run away as fast as possible.

There is nothing wrong with the new patch the game runs fine still. It was fine with 1.03 and it's fine with 1.04 the only problem is what happened to HomeLan and McP's GameGrid, and Always Online ctf!? I miss the 32 player games a lot!!! I keep uninstalling and reinstalling to try and find them on either patch version, but they just aren't as populated anymore. The only good ctf server left is HEL.

Hopefully people will start updating and stuff.

Oh and one BIG problem is the Linux server bug people have 1.04 servers up with Linux and they run the same as 1.03 and people don't even notice it.

Anyway keep up the good work Raven! This game just keeps getting better.

I find it hard to believe you honestly feel the game is getting better and better. They fixed the force powers, plus one for Raven. They totally killed backstab, so the move is now useless. MINUS one for Raven. They took out the jumping lunge attack. WHY? Was anyone really that pissed off about it? Did that move really iritate anyone? I never heard anyone bitch about it. Minus one for Raven.

You know what's next? Complete inability to turn in Med Stance finisher. 1.03 killed it's tornado effect, but you could still rotate. 1.05 will probably make that one unable to rotate at all. They're making the game more and more a guns game. It's star wars people. Not Quake. The saber is what makes this game. Nowhere in the movies do I see anyone spamming flechette guns. Or rocket launchers, or tenloss sniper rifles. It's blasters and sabers. Except in the space battles where they have some missile weapons. Sigh, I thought this game would finally be true to the Star Wars universe. Nope. Now people turn on force speed and spam flechette. Never see that in the star wars universe. A jedi using the force and a gun.

Oh well...hopefully this will be fixed...atleast Star Wars Galaxies comes out soon.

hmm should the amount of servers tell you how much people still play this game. Few weeks ago there were hundreds of servers. Now im lucky to see 100 if even that. Game has turned to crap. Even a forum posters 5 year old can be close to the top now. Skill has totally been removed from the game. Give it few more weeks and you will be lucky to see 30 servers.

This thread should be deleted. First off your main problem is doing something as silly as saber only ctf. The saber by its nature is not a ctf weapon of choice. If your flag has been taken, how much sense does it make to try and chase someone down with a melee weapon? The saber always has, and always will be one of the worst choices for a weapon when playing a ctf match.

The backstabs needed to be fixed due to the pull/backstab exploit. There was no skill involved in pull/backstab, any noob could log on and in a few mintues rack up kills by using it. The mere fact that you had to resort to pull/backstab to kill a flag carrier only shows how little skill you have.

As for the server arguments, the version of the game just came out a few days ago. Some people dont know there's an update, and there are probably popular servers that have not updated as of yet. Further more server numbers will appear decreased until servers update.

You want this thread to be deleted just because you think Sabs CTF is a stupid gametype?

The hundreds of people who play Sabs CTF would disagree with you.

Its a different style of game to Guns CTF, its not about chasing down the carrier its about surviving long enough in the enemy base to kill the carrier.

Don't say it shows a lack of skill to kill a flagcarrier with backstab, when you yourself clearly don't have any experience of the game-mode

This thread so far has been highly constructive, its pretty conclusive that the patch has screwed up CTF. Every decent player would use the saber at some point in CTF, even in guns. On the servers I frequent, i've yet to meet one person who likes the patch.

Sabre9- Saying that Saber only CTF is a stupid mode to play doesn't help things. People should play what they like/liked.

RpTheHotrod- Backstab was way overpowered in v1.3. They reduced it for a reason.

Darth_Infamous- Tell the server admins about adjusting saber damage to high lvls (Maybe 4 or 5, dont know havent really worked with it). I dont know the command, but it makes it so you can have the saber be like g_saberrealisticcombat 9 command in single player(Esspecially if dismemberment is on). Then you should have CTF games without ppl surviving attacks with sabers.

Also, IronJedi, not every "noob" could do the pull/backstab. That's why they whined about it. And, there was a fine line between being able to do it, and being able to do it well. After seeing your post, I'm sure you were one of those people who whined about the backstab. And the saber used to be one of the strongest weapons in the game... now the DEMP 2 is better than the lightsaber. A player used to be able to do damage with his/her saber vs. a gun... not anymore.

And it won't JUST be Sabers CTF that will be screwed up, what about TFFA Sabers? Nobody's gonna stick around WAITING for someone to kill them after two or three minutes, they'll go get powerups.

And are we all forgetting about one ENTIRE gametype? The "Jedi Master" gametype is now COMPLETELY gone. Who in their right mind would use the now crappiest weapon to fend off gun weilders?

The sacrifice of many fun gametpyes for what? So that NF Duelists can have saber fights that last longer, and are more "true to the movies". FF Duels now include saber throw whoring, just like 1.02 (doesn't that sound like a step BACKWARDS?). How long do you reckon it will be before people begin to complain about saber throw? And then maybe they'll whine about Lightning. Maybe even grip, dark rage, protection. Perhaps they'll move on to how "unfair" it is that you can actually move around whilst performing ANY attack.

[lameness]Raven, I really find being able to run and walk a little... I dunno, it's kind of unfair. People are doing it too much, like this one time, this guy was fighting me, and he like... started to walk, and run... he was moving all around. I couldn't believe how unfair it was. PLEASE, Raven, PLEASE take out the ability to move in any direction in the next patch... in the original Star Wars (A New Hope), that's how Obi-Wan and Vader fought, afterall... they were hardly moving, aside from pivoting. I want this to be more like the movies, PLEASE, Raven! PLEASE TAKE OUT THE ABILITY TO MOVE AROUND![/end lameness].

*To those who do not understand, the above statement was addressed as a mockery to those who find special moves in general, "unfair".*

It's nearly impossible to kill someone with a saber only now. You HAVe to kick, guns, or do special moves over and over if they aren't fast enough....or force powers.

Yes, they wanted pull/backslash/stab fixed...and they did..but they did it WRONG.

Backslash and backstab wasn't a problem. Spamming pull was.

Also, I'm now FORCED to ONLY use force and pull now, due to everyone spamming it. I HATE it...but I have to use it now just to counter it.

Every map

pull/pull/push/pull/push/push/push/

pull/push/pull/pull/pull/push/pull/push/

push/push/pull/push/pull/pull/pull/push/pull/

push/push/push/pull/push/pull/pull/pull/

push/pull/push/push/push/pull/push/pull/

pull/pull/push/pull/push/push/push/pull/push/

pull/pull/pull/push/pull/push/push/push/pull/push/pull/pull/pull/

push/pull/push/push/

push/pull/push/pull/pull/pull/push/pull/

push/push/push/pull/push/pull/pull/pull/push/

pull/push/push/push/pull/push/pull/pull/pull/

push/pull/push/push/push/pull/push/pull/pull/

pull/push/pull/push/push/push/pull/push/pull/

when you enter a room. That's IT.

Push and pull need it's range REDUCED, and a 3-5 second delay on re-using pull. That's ALL that was needed to be fixed this patch. That's IT. (on saber moves, that is), oh yeah, and the pivet problem.

well i love using saber! i hardly ever use guns, even if i am sucking, cuz using saber is fun, well at least to me. if i want to go and shoot ppl ill got play on MoHAA, u know. i mean ya i DO use guns but i use sabers about 90% of the time. and ya since i got 1.04 i found out that it is hard for me to kill ppl now, i though it was just me but now since i read this thread its the 1.04 patches fault! i was fine with the 1.03 patch:mad: :(

Archived