Home

If You've Been Having Problems with NPCS.CFG...

Stan_Tencza

Hey Folks...

Just a quick solution to the problem a lot of people have been having with the file NPCS.CFG. Seems that all the information one would put into the file wouldn't show up in the game.

Problem: You have more than one NPCS.CFG file floating around in your mess of PK3's. For example, I had an NPCS.CFG in my Vader_Desann.pk3, one in my Skin_Pack.pk3, one in my saber_hilt.pk3, etc. The game cannot recognize more than one version of the same file, so it cancels them all!

Solution: Take ALL of the modifications in EACH version of the NPCS.CFG and make ONE file of them all. For example, the only changes I had in my NPCS.CFG file was with Desann, Jedi, and Trandoshan. So, I made all the changes in one version of the file, and only included it in ONE pk3.

Hope this helps those of you that were as stumped as I was!

Simple.

Use a program such as Winzip or WinRAR to make a zipped archive in the same format as found in assets0.pk3, assets1.pk3, etc. For example, if you were trying to make a skin, you would create a folder "models/players/skinname" and put your files in there... then, you would put the original folder, "models" into a ZIP file using one of the programs above. Then simply rename the EXTENSION from .zip to .pk3. Then place the pk3 into your base folder under JK2.

Hope that helps... if you need any other help, e-mail me or reply here. (MrTencza@hotmail.com)

Hi guys,

why aren't you/the mappers using .npc files? This would be less intrusive, a less problematic solution ...

For all unaware of the situation: You can put character definitions like in npcs.cfg in a separate file called <anyname>.npc where <anyname> is a name you choose. Conflicts could only arise having the same name for a .npc file or using identical character names, so you should be creative when choosing names.

Best regards

Originally posted by idontlikegeorge

if the npcs.cfg was loaded from a mod folder, there wouldnt be that problem though, right?

exactly. which is how the whole mod thing is supposed to work. it only replaces game assets when the mod is actually running.

Hi guys,

why aren't you/the mappers using .npc files? This would be less intrusive, a less problematic solution ...

For all unaware of the situation: You can put character definitions like in npcs.cfg in a separate file called <anyname>.npc where <anyname> is a name you choose. Conflicts could only arise having the same name for a .npc file or using identical character names, so you should be creative when choosing names.

Best regards

Up until recently that solution hadn't been used yet because it didn't exist. New NPCs is a recent development. Trust me, it will get used, just there are some older maps/mods that modify the NPCs.cfg because they didn't know anything about custom NPCs then.

Archived