Home

1.04 (a rant for Raven)

CapitalB

Originally posted by Areoch

Even if you gave people 100 moves they'll ignore 99 of them and use the 1 that is the quickest easiest way to beat someone and time and time again we've seen people are willing to do the most ridiculous things to win.

New move on the street is the backstab but not even that bad when compared to backsweep at least backstab you have a second or two of warning and counterattack time but with sweep + yaw with the values in the several hundred thousand, you got yourself a blender of 360 degree 1 touch death.

Oh wow... Great post! :)

My thoughts exactly.

That's exactly what is going on. People don't care about all the other moves; Just the one that does the most damage. And yes, seeing that one move being performed by everyone on every server does get boring and thus the fun is lost.

Seriously, I don't think this situation will ever be corrected until all sabre moves do the same amount of damage, and all force powers can be plausably countered. That way, there would be hardly any spamming (But the spamming won't mean anything), and everyone can enjoy JK2 online with interestingly varied battles!

Or something... :confused:

The way I see it, there are basically 4 types of saber players:

1: spammers: they use one move over and over (like assfighters) to rack up kills. I can't see how this could be fun but, to each his own.

2: special lovers: (I made up the name, can you tell?) they TRY to get in a position to use a certain special (the most basic example is the guys walking toward you crouched, so they can do the blue-lunge) which means, they are thinking about using it LONG before they actuallly execute it.

3: swingers: (made this name up too) they use the basic swings in the game and don't usually mess with specials.

4: True Masters (another created title) they use normal swings until a opportunety for a special PRESENTS itself, then they execute it smoothly and fluidly. In other words, the use a special because of what there OPPONENT does, not because of what they do.

So, thats the player types IMHO.

Now, if you new, and spamming, it doesn't upset me. But if you've been playing for weeks by spamming the same moves(s), thats very sad and sounds amazingly boring.

If your a special lover, it hopefully shows you are trying to learn and move beyond it. But I know thats not always the case as it seems this is the great majority of players. Trying to manuever into a position to use a special (1.03 peeps intentionally turning there back is another good example) should not make you feel like a "good" player! Personally, I feel lame if I find an opponent behind me and end up taking even TWO steps backwards. If I take more than ONE step, I wasn't in the position for a backsweep. And I try to learn from that.

If your a swinger (insert sex comment here, but don't because we all get it already) you could be good at it, or bad at it. You could be very experienced, or a brand new player. But no matter how you do with it, NOBODY ever gets upset with you! And no matter what the patches do, you will always be able to play vertually the same way you always have. Because THIS is the way RAVEN intended the MAJORITY of the game to be played. Plain and simple. I can't imagine ANYBODY disagrees with this. Do you?

If your a True Master, you simple rock! You swing the saber until you see an opening, they you lunge, or backstab, and nobody sees it coming. This is what I would hope all of us playing JK2 hope to be.

I personally am a pretty darn good swinger (again, I see the sex joke posibility) I've practiced it since the day the game came out, and I am quite good at fighting almost anybody (I never figured a defence for the "tornado backstab"except to get out of the way, but it's gone now, so who cares.) I wish I was a True Master, but I don't think it will happen as I rarely pull off a "perfect" special. So I swing and dodge, and usually win, but sometimes lose, and I have fun. The patches come, and I just keep swingin, the blocking increases, and I have to find ways to swing around it. And that's fun too.

I certainly think a person who stuck with 1.02 would get smeared by a 1.03, or 1.04 person who didn't rely on auto-blocking, as what we've learned to get PAST the blocking, would give us a HUGE edge. But who knows.

What I do know is people will always bitch and cuss. It's obvious, and sad. But thats the way it is.

I do have a suggestion to help with the game, and to try to move people toward becoming True Masters though: Increase the damage to the specials back up, and put a TIMER on them. So you can only do ONE special a minute or something. Then people would be forced to look for the right moment, instead of spamming, or trying to create the moment. Put a timer on throw too. I like to have it, but once a minute (or 2 minutes) would be fine.

What do you guys think?

Sorry about the long post. Now I'm gonna have to log back in to post it!:)

Beefshank

Archived