Home

Carcass can make GLA's

SilentMobius

Slam carcass into a hex editor or run "strings" on it, you'll see other commands and messages for the writing out of gla's.

It _looks_ as if processing an xsi with animation frames without setting the .car to preload a .gla will actually generate a paired .gla/.glm

Now all I have to do is get it to work, but I would consider this a hell of a step forward.

It's true, check it out yourself....

Currently with both xsi's from max or straight out of xsi 2.03 carcass doesn't seem to see the keyframes, although I've only been plugging at XSI for 30mins or so. It's like 4:13am here and I have to work in the morning so I just thought people would like to hear the good news

Good thinking on saying a GLA and not animations, btw. If you said animations, the thread would be swarmed by spam. I wish you the best of luck.

On a related note, since you're figuring this out, perhaps you can answer a question I have. If you retool the animation.cfg for an NPC [or a multiplayer model, for that matter], how can you link the model to the animation file? I presume this is only a related question and not the matter at hand itself, otherwise why would there be a sepate .cfg file? Unless the .gla is a compiled animation.cfg?

Again, good luck!

~ Michael

Edit: Oh hey, didn't see your second post; it told me the first new one was just after that *sheeps* So let me add to that congratulations on taking the first step! I look forward to seeing the results.

The Animation.cfg is loaded once for each gla, you'd have to mod the sourcecode to change that.

All the gla contains is bone positions in an array starting at frame 0 going up to frame 10000+

Tha animation.cfg matched specific ranges to a clear text string and assigns a framerate and loop flag

Also the animation.cfg is a holdover from Q3 md3 system

Originally posted by Harukaze

So if someone provided a new .cfg, could one then load up a brand new .gla file containing that information? Or did I read you wrong? It is 7ish in the morning after all ^_^

Nope, the program itself decides what animation.cfg to load and what gla to load.

Remember we still can't _edit_ a gla, so the _humanoid animations are still locked off to us, what remains to be seen is if a single glm can be bound to more than one gla (with programming tricks) if so we can _add_ animations, otherwise we can only create gla/glm pairs and them mod the MP game to use them (battledroids, droideka's etc)

Additionally more than one gla will probably up the memory requirements for the mp game I imagine that a gla grows quite a bit when in memory

Not sure, Y'see it currently can't be done (MP uses one gla and that must be the _humanoid.gla) but some ways around that spring to mind.

Like loading a tiny glm that referances the other gla then doing some pointer swapping when you need the other animations, appending the other structure to the gla cache (less likely)

It would need to be played with.

What could also be interesting is the error you get when adding a .xsi file in assinilate...it's something about 'loading a model which has no seperate animation files'. Seeming to imply that you could make an xsi file with animations included, and import that to assimilate. Or that assimilate won't even bother with animations while processing an xsi file...easy enough to test if you've got Softimage running, I guess.

Originally posted by MacD

What could also be interesting is the error you get when adding a .xsi file in assinilate...it's something about 'loading a model which has no seperate animation files'. Seeming to imply that you could make an xsi file with animations included, and import that to assimilate. Or that assimilate won't even bother with animations while processing an xsi file...easy enough to test if you've got Softimage running, I guess.

Um, this is my whole point, as I said at the start if you run an XSI through carcass that has animation without preloading a gla I believe it _will_ spit out a matched gla/glm pair

Originally posted by musashi122

Quick question, Seeing how the orginal aniamtions all 658 mb of them. How do you plan on making "NEW" gla's. I am not much of the porgaming type, so are you trying to find a way to graft new animations on to the exisitng GLA?

See above:

1, animate, export to dotXSI

2, run through carcass.

Ok.....so animate what..I have been trying to play with the animations, loading up the skeleton in xsi 2.01 doesn't work. Comes out looking like a big geosphere with a tag in the center. If i get a working sekeltion, and if i animate it, Your saying that I would be able to graft the gla file in?

Originally posted by musashi122

Ok.....so animate what..I have been trying to play with the animations, loading up the skeleton in xsi 2.01 doesn't work. Comes out looking like a big geosphere with a tag in the center. If i get a working sekeltion, and if i animate it, Your saying that I would be able to graft the gla file in?

"graft"? I don't know where you got that from.

If you have a dotXSI format model+animations that carcass likes (the hard part) once it has been run through carcass you will have a gla/glm pair. Thats the 3rd time I've said that now

I have XSI 2.03 and only the stormtrooper imports sucessfully, but that is not the problem. we don't need to deal with anything as complex as the _humanoid base to prove the point, just getting _anything_ with animation frames that carcass will respond to is a start (something like the R2D2 structure would be good)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is old news...which you'de know by just looking at when Silent Mobius posted this.

And what are you on about, importing the .gla...to where? Carcass and assimilate won't accept it...The only viable avenue seems to be creating valid .xsi files which include their own animation (per the animation.cfg file, I'd say).

Archived