Home

ATI Radeon 9700 & 9000

ZeroXcape

Originally posted by Swifty

After upgrading to an 8500 from a GF2 GTS, I'll never buy Nvidia again- price being the issue. Detonators are no better than Catalysts anymore- too many leaked drivers, doesn't always mean newer is better. Lots of posts on gaming forums where folks have problems and need to roll back their Detonators, just like with Catalysts.

Besides, the early scores are showing the 9700 kills the 4600 so bad, drivers aren't an issue- there's brute force to spare here.

My 8500 posts nominally equivalent scores to a Ti4200, and at a cheaper price. ATI is number two, they'll price competitively to gain market, like AMD versus Intel, and like Nvidia did with Voodoo back in the day.

In the end, no matter what camp you're in, we all win. Hopefully Matrox will also make a run, and bring back true competition (and better pricing) in the market.

OMG... How can you Compare the 8500 to GTS... GeForce 2 GTS is a great card... but now out dated... Plus is your own opinion... I bought the kyro Hercules card, and it run like cr@p in my cousin's computer.. Bottom line, GF ownz, and almost most gamers has a gf... Unless you are a TRUE ATI fan, Otherwise, I woulnt bother buying one..

PLUS the detonators are UNIVERSAL.. which means it works for all nvidia cards...

There's just nothing in the market (currently, in 30 days there will be a better card) better than a GF 4. If you don't want to spend that much, either hold off until the 9700 hits the market, or until NVidia's new chip hits. If you're desparate to buy now, go with a GF3. They're cheap and they perform well. For me, I skip a generation. I had a GF1 and waited utnil the GF3 to upgrade. I'll wait until the next generation, whichever brand is better, to upgrade from.

Aside from the news of the new Radeons 900 & 9700 being pretty much ignored, i will add what I can to this conversation.

I had a Geforce256 32MB DDR card back in my 800Mhz Slot A Athlon and it ran all games of its time pretty damn well.

Then I got my new PC (built it myself of course) which is an Athlon Tbird 1.33Ghz that I occasionally overclock to 1.47Ghz. Right now its at 1400Ghz for no real reason, I just like to tinker. Oh it has 512MB PC2100 in it as well

I am currently using a Kyro 2 base Herculese Prophet 4500 64MB card to play games like Jedi Knight II. At 1024x768 I get steady 85 FPS at High detail settings. I get practically no slow down when there are more people on the screen in multiplayer or single player.

HellFyre69 the Kyro II is a much more advanced GPU than the GF2 based cards. The only thing that they have that the Kyro II lacks is Hardware T&L, which was remedied in the Herculese Prophet 4800 Kyro II card which was out for an incredibly short sale time.

What is your 'cousins' computer specs? On a really low end computer the GF2MX would work better than the Kyro II card because T&L is handled on card rather than by the CPU. How much system memory he has would also affect performance. In all benchmarks, the Kyro II with the latest drivers beats every GF2MX based card out there. Note that Low End is pretty much anything under an 800Mhz Athlon or P3 these days.

Of course this is a moot point since GF2MX cards are very obsolete by todays standardds. So are Kyro II cards.

I have a Herculese Prophet 8500 128MB DDR Radeon card in the mail on its way to me at the moment. http://www.newegg.com is having a great deal on them at the moment. $129 with free FedEx. :yoda:

Archived