Home

Shaders on Sabers?

Major Clod

Lord Kahn what was the point of your post? He never asked for tips he wants to know if you can put shaders on a saber. If you don't know what a shader is you shouldent be posting stuff. Sorry if this is harsh but it doesnt make sence to post what you posted when he was asking about shaders.

As for Jason I think (Not sure) Anyway I think you can place shaders on sabers. Because they have shaders on other models. I am not sure how to place them on the models. I am also just finnishing up a Saber Hilt and saw this post and figured I would post something too :D I also want to know how to put shaders on models so.... BUMP :D

what be these... 'shaders' you speak of? me thinks photoshop is good for skinning sabers... but never tried shaders...

off the subject.. to anyone doing saber models/skins, refrence pics are very important, so make sure you find the right ones.

i was making a exar kun hilt and was nearly done, then i saw a diffrent more accurate pic of the saber, than the pic i was using, and it looks completly diffrent... http://www.lightsaber.com has great pics and backstorys on the lightsabers and their creators / possesors

tips where just for anyone makina saber, that dude was askin about shaders in sabers , and people arent going to like using a pic to make a saber after and then after all there hard work find a more accurate pic that looks totally diff, like i did before, it sucks. so there:D

and sence you where on the topic of shaders i just wanted a lil bit more info about them, i do know what shaders are, i've used them before in other skins

Shaders are what give the animation reality-like qualities. They can make oceans glisten with sunlight, they can make chrome shine with luminousity. They can make lights blink, they pretty much tell the texture which layers to turn on and off at different times using something called alpha channels.

More info on these can be found in the skinning forum.

Just for the record, I know what shaders are and how they are used, it's just that other models have a .skin file telling the game what skin (or shader I'd assume) goes where. Sabers don't have one and have just the one skin file, so I'm just going to assume you can't use them.

If you don't know what shaders are don't bother posting.

you put the .skin file on the saber the same way that you do on a model, u make a file called w_saber.skin orwhatever it was and inside put

name;weapons2/saber/skin.jpg

then you just import it when compiling it to a ghoul2 file

that is all coming out of the top of my head so it probably isnt 100% right but i know you can

shaders are a 3d graphics thing, that tells the renderer how to render things...quake3 just so happens to have a rudimentary shader interpreter inbuilt (carmack you wizard)

so, shaders can be used ANYWHERE a standard texture is used, you just have to code it. Ive done some q3-based mapping, with writing my own shaders, and its not so hard. You can see in the game that shaders as skins are possible- the darktroopers! they switch skins to go invisible, and when this happens, theres a weird kinda effect. I'd like to see somebody show me how to do that with a standard targa file :)

If anyone can actually come up with a method of doing shaders for skins/sabers etc... plz post something about it, many modellers will find it quite useful when it comes to skinning

PS. i know this is more suited to the skin forum, but meh...u gotta put skins on models right?

Archived