Home

Need help with WinME/modem

Artem

I know this isn't very much a general topic, as it might seem, but please bear me out.

The reason i'm posting it here is that i REALLY wanna play multiplayer(who wouldn't?), but my modem isn't working right.

Here's my problem:

I am using a Lucent 56k Hardware DSP modem, and i have the correct Hardware DSP drivers for it.

I install them, and then i need to reboot my computer.

So, i reboot, and windowsME loads up.

The background blue screen comes on, waits a few seconds...

Then i see a popup box "updating driver database"

after that comes a different box "communications modem device"

then "Lucent Win Modem".

nothing i can do to stop the process.

My problem, in laymens, is that WinME automatically overwrites the right driver, and puts in a wrong one.

The WinModem driver takes away from the function of the modem, and only lets me connect at up to 16.8kps

(also, i have determined the problem IS NOT in my phone line or ISP, but in the drivers)

my question to everyone: Do you know how to either...

a) Disable automatic driver installation

b) delete the driver database

c) help me in another way

I'd appreciate anyone who could help me out.

If you can't, i understand, I'm baffled by what to do, and have not found any info on the 'net. You could always post some support for me. you know, hugs and stuff :-D

-Artem

You should be able to tell Windows to install drivers from a disk or your own .inf file. Open the modem in your Device Manager, hit the driver tab & hit the "Update Driver" button.*

* I'm not sure if those are there in WinME. But there should be something close to it.

Now here comes the rant. Ditch your modem. Most Lucent modems should be burned alive on site.. put out, burned again, have thir ashes ground into fine powder, have the powder mixed into some cookie batter, then burn the cookies in the oven to a crisp. Theyre that bad. As are most PCI based modems youll see out there on the market. Go get yourself a good old fashioned serial external modem. They cost more, but they're well worth it. Not to mention you can install it as a "Standard 56000 bps modem" and have it work. :)

Rant 2: If youre going to use WinME you may as well downgrade to Windows 98. Out of all the OS's using the 9x kernel you'll get the least bloat per feature in there.

Archived