Home

Anyone know where text for the menus are?

Azymn

I can't find the variables holding text for things like ForceRank - I've searched all over for the string "Jedi Guardian" and i can only find it in the comments of bg_misc.c , yet it must be stored somewhere.

Does anyone know where those strings are stored in the game?

Thanks for the tip - i looked through a number of the menu files and the text was referred to with something like:

text @CHOOSE_YOUR_FORCE

... isn't that referring to a variable of some sort? I'll keep checking through them, and i'm looking for the older post you were talking about.

Those @blahblahblah things get parse through the engine which then gets the info it needs from the .sp files in the strip folder. This is so that the engine can return the correct text for the particular language the game is registered for. That way there's only one set of menu files and not half a dozen or so different sets for each language the game supports.

Okay, that makes sense (Tchouky did that with his menus) ...but for the most part i need to add text, without replacing existing text. One thing specifically is to add more forceRank levels. I have them placeholding in the code, and they cycle normally - i added 3 more, and after "Jedi Master" it cycles through 3 blank spots (it functions fine in the game, but doesn't display the name) and then restarts at 'Uninitiated" or whatever the base level is. I just need to figure out how to add the text to the list of them.

I traced the function calls back to something like

return syscall (BIGSTRINGTHING, blahblah ....)

...inside of some string return function, and couldn't follow it further. I'll keep poking through the menus to see what i can find, but it seems to use literal strings like "MASTERY5" to identify the "Jedi Guardian" string, etc...

Thanks NickR,

I just got back home and found the folder you were talking about - it's got everything in there.

If you're reading Subject452, in assest1.pk3\strip there are a number of *.sp files like NickR referred to - mp_ingame.sp has the text we were looking for. Search for guardian and you'll find 'em on around line 600.

Yup. It displays them in all the screens except the server startup screen, where it still says: Force Rank: ??

In the mp_ingame.sp file, you have to change the number of items from 126 to 126 + # of levels you want to add, and i just added mine (i added 3) at the bottom as INDEX 126, 127, and 128.

You also have to alter bg_misc.c (i think that's the one) where is denotes each level as "MASTERY1", "MASTERY2".... and add your own at the end.

Archived