Home

Does it need LOD support?

Duncan_10158

I'd like to start a disussion about the need of LOD support.

Its because i was working on a model and the LOD was a hell to do it and it doesnt look good at all. Most of the models i loaded down dont have LOD support, the autors always say the will do one day.

My question is, does somebody realy need LOD support for fast up the game? Or is there another good reason to do it?

the only good reason to do it is generally for single player usage. take the battle droids for example, you want to spawn or make a bunch of them because slicing and dicing them up is hellava fun, but with such high polys all the time the game slows down and its not as fun.

that and if you have a whole lot of custom models with no LOD support on a map like ns it will slow down massively. i wish modelers would just take the time to make LODs before they release their model.

It's needed for multiplayer as well, not just SP. It doesn't take THAT much more time if you plan things right in the beginning. All of my models so far have them. It can help quite a bit if you have many models on screen at once at various distances, so you should always try to do them.

LOD means Level of Detail, in JO every model has four submodels with different count of polygons. thats for making the game faster by taking a lower detailed model for distences and so on.

in fact i havent planed my model right and so got into trouble. but i try to keep my polygone cont low. is it then possible to make two instead of four LODs, does it work only with two?

Archived