Home

Making Animations is easy!

agentj64

==

We can't have flipping a guy off:|

Not threw the code at least - maybe some ingenious person will ifnd a way, but I unbinded (meaning theyre all seperate) every bone in 3D Max and compiled it

It compield fine

that means Carcass, regardless of what you do, writes the bone hierachy each time (and positions too it seems etc) regardless of what you or me do:|

What does this mean? it means the hands will always be detached of the arms in animations etc.. so in code if you rotate your ankle

the whole leg wouldn't rotate, just that bone there, if you rotated your femur, IT would rotate, but not the knee, or rest of leg for that matter

==

me Dest123 had fun with this one:)

The test was

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72901&pagenumber=2

The programs:

JK2tools (ver1? the one by Raven)

:Carcass

:Assimilate

3D Studio Max R4.2

:XSI Exporter

I have extracted the XSI skeleton from the stormtrooper included in the SDK, cleaned it up a bit, and left the bones and hierachy in place

I set my frames to 0-50

then I had fun

I animated the legs moving and his arms waving, since all weightings hierachy etc was done already this was ok

2 things first:

Carcass wouldn't compile with missing tags

Carcass WOULD compile with more than the regular 43 (or so) some tags

I had now 50 frames of animation, exported to XSI

Problem: The XSI exporter does not let you specify which frames of animation! So we either assumed ALL frames or no frames were exported

open Assimilate:

$aseanimgrabinit

$aseanimgrab models/players/test/root.xsi -loop -1

$aseanimgrabfinalize

$aseanimconvertmdx_noask models/players/test/root -makeskel models/players/test/test

Take a magnifying glass:

In Assimilate choose

"makes its own skeleton"

and have fun with the scale

(COUGH COUGH YODA COUGH COUGH)

Animation compression wouldn't allow Carcass to run.

Now the problem

If you double click the actual entry (i had a red cross out, even though it still compiled and worked) there are Master, additional #1,2 3 and so on

Each realies on the root to begin animation (a quick check shows that root is the essential piece binded to)

I made only one animation, but nonetheless I compiled

I was unable to choose for the others what and hwo to handle animation.

Compiling took an instant, the GLA was written, along with glm

it relied on a "test.frames" file to handle animations (so in a sense you could get around the "Additional #1.." problem..)

The file came out as

c:/jk2edit/base/models/players/test/root.xsi

{

"startframe" "0"

"duration" "51"

"fps" "30"

"averagevec" "0.000 0.000 0.000"

}

much different then

"// w:/game/base/models/players/_humanoid/animation.cfg 17278 frames; 989 sequences; updated 12:32 Saturday, March 02, 2002

//

// Format: enum, targetFrame, frameCount, loopFrame, frameSpeed

//

BOTH_1CRUFTFORGIL 0 2 -1 29

BOTH_A1_BL_TR 2 6 -1 30

BOTH_B1_BL___ 2 1 -1 -10

BOTH_D1_TR___ 7 1 -1 30

BOTH_A1_BR_TL 8 6 -1 30

BOTH_B1_BR___ 8 1 -1 -10"

From animation.cfg

I opened the glm using modview and it worked fine

Modifying initial start positions worked well

I have yet to test it in game but believe it won't work sense all the animations in the "_humanoid.gla" are unaccounted for, Dest has yet to tell me if they have been coded into the code

but there you have it, animations are makeable, at least i've heard you could and tried it

Now problem 2

==

A GOOD look in 3d Max Track view *cough* will show you that the the path goes

Clavical>Humerus>HumerusX>radial>radialX>hand>l/r_dx_y

X being 1-5 for fingers, y being 1-3 for knucles, obviously l/r for the branch, going from parent>child

the clavical binds to thoraic

in MOD VIEW

the hiearchy ends:

(keep in mind this cannot be "hard coded" into the game engine, but possibly in carcass? there's a 2nd problem if so)

root>pelvis>lower_lumbar>upper_lumbar>thoraic>cervical

and everything there is listed

including fingers

not under hierachy

The problem: for those of you who want a flipping off motion in jedimod will be unable to have it, as me and Dest123 tried, the arm acts as if it was unattached to the the rest of the arm, now in 3d max i cannot reproduce this effect since the arm IS ATTACHED in the hiearchy, but in jk2 it is possible since the arm isn't under hierachy (as shown in modview) where its supposed to be

So if i rotate my eblow 360 degrees

the eblow rotates

the upper arm doesn't, of course, but everything under the elbow SHOULD but doesn't, like the hand is just stationary, so we have a rotating elbow and not hand, odd.

we could rotate each one seperately

but this shouldnt happen

since they should be under hiearchy like when we exported

but the problem is this

A) Cervical (when i checked) isnt the immediate parent of rclavical or lclavical, the throaic is

B) cervical goes to cranium, to eyes, and so on

what does this mean?

the hiearchy was built legs>pelvis

then head features (eyes etc)>cervical, throacic, upper, then lower, which connects to pelvis

the arms attached

and the legs too, notice how Tibia talus and femurs are all under pelvis and not: femurX,fermuryz,tibia,talus,tarsal, like in 3d max (sorry if i got that order wrong)

So this leaves me stumped

guessing and trying

what I did

rewrote the hiearchy in max

it compiled

and it cmae out the same

relinked it from fingers on up

same effect.

now im going to link it from should on down, and link the fingers to the thoriac

and see what effect that has, to see if it changes anything in hierachy

if it doesnt

then that means carcass builds the hiearchy itself

and that

is a problem

I dont want to criticize them

I love them actually for forcing us to learn how to do this:) I love problems

But I find their lack of helping the community a bit abrasive

nonetheless we continue

I realize though that the only way to have extra animations is

A) Figure a way to compile model with extra .GLAs called (so model packs and maybe animation packs would be aviaible for download)

B) Figure a way in CODE to call these extra .GLAs

or

A) Figure a way in CODE to call both _humanoid and any other animations to be used by glms

REMEMBER that GLMs do not CONTAIN animation data, its referenced to the _humanoid.gla

so theortiically this is possible

Any starting position works too

I could theoritically tyr it out but it would take too long, to build a GLA (atl east the first 5 frames of it:P) and release it and test out my animations

they should work.

also if you using animation.cfg and transfer <name>.frames data to it, it works fine

:0

The problem is if code can call these animations

Thanks Mr. Tim:)

Agent, you and Dest are the best :D I also find Raven's lack of assistance on the animation issue dissapointing, but I realise that Lucas Arts may have tied their hands in this issue.

I'm glad there are people out there like you guys who just wont take no for an answer. It's a big reason that the computer industry in general has come as far as it has

Good luck man :)

Toonces

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com