Home

New Engine?

oreo

hi as kinja mentioned in his leaving post, hes gonna move to the UT2k3 engine well im wondering where can i get info on that? cuz i wanna try modeling with it too, and also does that game have a forum like this? i wanna join it :p

The ability to use sectors with brushes/patches inside of them is even better. Indoor areas are so damn awesome with sectors. Hmm...

The Doom III engine will definatly be better, but won't feature many outdoor environments I would imagine.

SWG still looks the best I think...

as i remember ut2 chars will have about 5k -7k polygons (could be wrong). with the good rendering but less accurate lighting algorithms the engine will have no problems to handle large groups of players, we don't have to worry about this

doom3 which has superb lighting (performance eating) but again a low polygon count (about 60.000 which means a doubling of the count we have now - that is based on interviews and dev threads) will be more difficult for noobs to mod for than with the ut2-engine.

although i think that it will be possible to do some nice outdoor areas with doom3 too, they won't have a real chance to compete with ut2 outdoor areas but they will have their own charm together with the unique lighting, the engine will support.

ut2 will probably suited more to rpg, strategy and mass warfare mods, where doom3 stands for deep atmosphere ego or small team cooperative mods against clever npcs or do you think ut2 will have a better AI than doom3, i for mine "not"?

hmm that sounds awesome, when will Doom3 and UT2 come out then? btw u said easier tools? but do u still use max to model it? doubling polycount is quite detailed... which i think takes pretty long to model... i never did like UT cuz i liked quake and HL and the mods more but ill try them since they sound pretty cool

Yes, they've been very good to the modeling community so far with info. Set your poly goals at 3,500 and a bit more if you like, and get crazy!

10,000 polys is U2 which is an SP only game which can afford highrer counts, especially if they limit the amout of characters onscreen at one time.

Well, as much as this thread has everything going for it (no spam, no flames, no weed) it doesn't have anything to do with JK2 modeling. I'd think about moving it to the editing - general discussion, but that is also jk2 only.

Also, if you are looking for an unreal warfare related forum, I'd recommend checking the forums at planetunreal

Archived