Home

JK2 Animation Thread

razorace

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This code happens when he hits the ANIM_TOGGLEBIT - it's if( / else('d for this. He sets the

pm->cmd.forwardmove = 0;

pm->cmd.rightmove = 0;

pm->cmd.upmove = 0;

So that he'll can't move at all when it's 'elsed - that is, he enters sleep, it checks the togglebit for BOTH_SLEEP1, if it is on, it turns it off, and sets a new 'wakeup' animation, if it finds it off, it turns it on and sets the players move-ability back to normal.

I guess I'll just have to test it out.

Unless the movement lock is in a position where it's refreshed inbetween the client movement command input and the server/client movement calculations, the new client input will be used instead of the desired locked "0" value. However, I can't be sure without knowing where/how the client movement commands are inputed.

any of you guys looked at the dotXSI importer/exporter for maya? the source code is available on the aliaswavefront site I think.

I want to do some tests rigging one of my models, animating a walk cycle and getting it in game. I know the exporter is for xsi 3.0 I tried importer one of jo xsi files but it didn't work.

To get back into animating I want to try reanimating all of the basic movement for jo, but not if I have to use max.

I like animating just as much as I like modelling, so its not really work to me. Basic movement animation isn't that much too do, quick little cycles. I hate the normal animations for jo as well, saber animations are just lame.

I've been animating for 2 years, I know how much work it is and I know how to pace myself as far as work. I was a better animator than modeller until I stopped focusing on it and concentrated on modelling for the last 8 months. It's more of a warm until I get back in the swing of things, then its ut2k3 time.

• 2 months later...

Ok Dokie. I've gone thru and figured out what the animation calls do. Here's what I've written down so far:

Animation Flags (for PM_SetAnim)

SETANIM_FLAG_RESTART

Play animation even if the same animation is already playing.

SETANIM_FLAG_OVERRIDE

Override the animation even if the timer is still valid ( 0 < or != -1). The timer will be reset to 0.

SETANIM_FLAG_HOLD

Sets the animation timer to equal the amount the length of the animation plus time for one additional frame (at the frame rate of the chosen animation). This DOES NOT account for different animation speeds from BG_SaberStartTransAnim but does change the timer for Force Rage and Force Speed.

SETANIM_FLAG_HOLDLESS

Sets the animation timer to equal the amount the length of the animation. This DOES NOT account for different animation speeds from BG_SaberStartTransAnim but does change the timer for Force Rage and Force Speed.

UPDATE: This sets the timer to the length of the animation RIGHT before the second last frame (1ms before to be exact). Technically, the last frame will not be totally played if you have a fast enough animation call update. (not possible, it's only a one ms) :) I assume this is so the animation timer runs out just as the animation finishes.

Additional Information

The stance animations auto sets to BOTH_STAND1 if you’re using the doublebladed saber.

The leg timer is additionally checked right before the leg animation is changed. Be sure that the timer is 0’ed before you change the animation.

Note that the actual animation setting stuff is handled in WP_SaberPositionUpdate (for server side). PM_SetAnim does some safety checks, animation timer setting, and set the ___Anim varibles to be updated in the next frame.

There are other functions that change the ____Anim variables without the safety features. If you’re planning to change the animation speeds you’re going to need to be sure that the animation speed is altered in all the animation calls.

The weird thing about the server side animations is that the PM_setAnim function is mainly just setting some internally used information and then quickly setting the animation at the end. However, Raven ends up NOT using the PM_setAnim system all the time and frequently bypasses it for whatever reason. ("Rich, setting this PM_SetAnim stuff is too damn hard so I just bypassed it for all my stuff.") This means that you can't always depend on the animations using the ____timers and stuff LIKE THEY SHOULD.

Ok, the animation system is whacked.

There's an assload of features that cgame is sort of setup to handle but then aren't actually used! So far I see backward playing animations, flipflop animations (plays forward and then backward), and selective looping (where the animation plays once and then loops up to the same given point) and ALL cgame.

game has a much simplier system with fewer features but it's easier to understand and the backward playing animations ACTUALLY WORK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I figure this is the best place for my question:

When I'm changing the ps->speed enough my character's animations go out of syn so it looks like he is running on a treadmill. How would you slow down the leg animations to make it look better?

ps->legsTimer just doesn't sound right.

Archived