Home

Let there be Light!!

Takeoffyouhoser

Just curious as to getting a sky shader to emit light. I am using ICE sky shader and everything comes up black. I added 4 light entites and it seems to light my terrain, but, ICE does not seem to do anything but emit a Hall of Mirrors effect. Do I have to edit the shader?

Anyone know how I can fix this problem??? I don't want to switch Imperial Brewery to Imperial Malaria Farm ( swamp ) just yet..

any suggestions?

Funny. I read Takeoffyouhoser's problem in the morning but I hadn't any ideas. In the afternoon one of my friend was here and played a map with the ice sky shader. Guess what? It made Hall of Mirror. Last week there was no problem. :confused:

I think the reinstall of the whole JK2 and Editing tools is very verrrry near. :)

you make a sky emit light by adding the line:

q3map_surfaceLight 200

right after the editor image line. 200 is pretty bright so you may want to tone it down a bit with a lower value. If your sky image has a lot of color, it will emit that color of light onto your textures. This may not be very desirable. If this is the case, use the sun parameter instead for a more natural light that can be directional, and differently colored than the sky color, like this:

textures/dfskies/talay

{

qer_editorimage textures/dfskies/talay.jpg

q3map_sun 0.9 0.81 0.92 150 0 45

surfaceparm sky

surfaceparm noimpact

surfaceparm nomarks

notc

q3map_nolightmap

skyParms textures/dfskies/talay 512 -

}

HTH

i edited the shader like you said.... here's what it looks like..

qer_editorimage textures/skies/sky.tga

q3map_surfaceLight 25

surfaceparm sky

surfaceparm noimpact

surfaceparm nomarks

notc

q3map_nolightmap

skyParms textures/skies/ice 512 -

}

I just cut and pasted this fast... it looks proper in the shader list..lol..

But, my terrain is still dark and Its still only doing a HOM effect, although compiling it took 10 minutes about...

I am going to try kejim_sky and see if that goes!

I used Kejim_sky and added the line...and the light set at 50..

it worked well..

I think light at around 175 would be fine for what I want..I saw terrain lit, but only the mtn peaks...

The big problem though is that ICE does not do anything but HOM. I want my map to be snowing, and I can't have lake effect snows with Kejim_sky , lol

Hey Darth, I have some Quake 3 aftermarket skies....

you know how to set them up for JO ?

If you have HOM, then you have a mapping problem - you need to fix that first. Somewhere there is a brush that isn't right . . .

if you don't like the way surface light looks, try using the "sun" parm instead. That makes more natural light, and you can make it directional and differently colored that the colors that are in ICE or whatever you use.

Yes I can setup Q3 skyboxes too - what do you need to know?

that depends.. if it's just the .jpg/.tga files, then you'll need to write up a shader file.. if it INCLUDES a shader file.. then you should simply be able to extract the files into their appropriate directories and add the shader to the shaderlist.txt.. then it should work..

textures/skies/kejim

{

surfaceparm sky

surfaceparm noimpact

surfaceparm nomarks

surfaceparm metalsteps

notc

q3map_nolightmap

skyParms textures/skies/desert2 512 -

}

There's no kejim sky thou. It's desert2. Default assets00.pk3 has all the desert2 jpg files to display.

textures/skies/ice

{

surfaceparm sky

surfaceparm noimpact

surfaceparm nomarks

notc

q3map_nolightmap

skyParms textures/skies/ice 512 -

}

look at the skyParms value. Isn't it interesting that none of the assets files contain any ice jpg files :?

Catscratch: :) You are very right. I was wondering why ice gone wrong. Until now.

As I think back...

There was no problem with ice until I moved all the downloaded pk3s to another directory than base to see if one of my problems will go away or not. Actually it didn't. :) But I got something else. :cool: I would never think of that.

SOoooo, I can now only use an aftermarket sky texture and shader like the one i downloaded, and follow Gonkish's instructions then, right ?

Anyhow, why the hell do they have all these shaders and no sky textures to go wit them ?

Are we supposed to use these shader but make our own textures?

There are sky textures with ice. The problem was that it appeared in the skies texture set as a shader so I believed it is part of the game itself. It isn't. :) If you download the demo, there will be all the textures in the demo.pk3. You can extract them from it and pack with your level.

Catscratch: there are snowy mountains.

Archived