Home

ProMod core

Anti

Dunno if this is the right place, but I wanna pimp Artifex's ProMod like a madman. This mod really does what it claims to do: It makes sabering skill-dependant instead of that weird random sabering we've had to put up with for too long! With each patch it went from bad to worse. Well, no more.

Every JK2 player needs to try ProMod. After getting used to it and rethinking your strategies - those 3 moves - into something creative.

All future mods should somehow use ProMod's CombatStrengthCrosshair system, instead of Vanilla Sabering. Don't know how you coders can work that out, but give it a shot :)

if the source code is out many mod makers will consider it. until then it wont have that much of an imortance to look after and try to do the same thing. how u can read in these forums people are more interessted in...other things...often silly things...but what do i know.

I've coded a similar system. But I'm not releasing the code either.

I think too many ppl expect us to release the code so that some guy can come along and put together all the best bits of mods and make the perfect mod.

Maybe one of these guys could try and learn to code for themselves rather than just copy and pasting other coders work.

Just my 2 quid!

I think too many ppl expect us to release the code so that some guy can come along and put together all the best bits of mods and make the perfect mod.

Instead of that, modders can come together to create the perfect mod for everyone to enjoy. It makes no sense to withold such things, except for personal acclaim, being that no one is getting paid for this. It seems like people get a little too competitive with their mods. Thats my two cents.

damn right. but i could understand it if it was a real big mod. i mean not only a better combat system or some funn features gathered together or admin mod commands. if it would be something revolutionary. a killer app so to speak. then it should not be released to soon. but these little features do not deserve so much attention and defensive behaviour by their authors...

just like the adminmod vulcanus. admin commands should be in every mod. why let coders lose time on doing it by them selves? dont be so microsoftish guys!

I've had many people contact me wanting a copy of the ProMod source code. There's 2 reasons I'm not giving it out right now.

1. It's not finished. ProMod's still in the Beta state, so there are some of the core algorithms that may change before the final release. It wouldn't help anybody out for me to majorly alter some of the source after someone has spent days/weeks/months pounding out code, only to have me yank the rug out from under them.

2. Possible damage to the community. I've said before that I think the worst thing that ever happened to the jk2 community was the release of the jedimod1.2 source code. It seems that there are a dozen different versions of this mod out there now, all of them only slightly different, or simply the combination of jedimod and other mods. This only confuses those new to the game. There are very few people who can look down the length of the "Mod" column in ASE or qtracker and know exactly what to expect in every mod. How can we expect someone who may not even be active in the forums to know what these mods are about?

Having all the different server-side variables to modify how the game is played only compounds the problem. You can have two different servers that are reporting the same mod is running, but are completely different in their implementation of the server variables.

I want to avoid all that. I want someone to know that if a server is running ProMod, then that server is running the "real" version with predictable gameplay. There shouldn't be any surprises once they join a game.

Anyway, that's why I'm holding out on releasing the source code. Once I reach a final version, I may consider it, but a final release won't change my stance on #2 above.

I'd also caution against others coding systems similar to ProMod's in their own mods. All this is going to do is take the players who like ProMod's combat system and divide them. There will be fewer people playing each of the mods as a result. There are many unique ways to modify the saber combat, ProMod is just one of them. Do something original that your mod can be recognized for--don't just water down the player pool. That's what happened with jedimod, and we don't need any more of that.

I've played promod beta 2 and I was really impressed. It made me feel that I could win really easily if I concentrated my attacks and my blocking but could easily be killed if I made a mistake.

Don't be fooled into thinking my mod is a promod clone or something. It's much more than that. And its not a jedimod clone either. I just wanted to implement the control and feel and the mathematics that makes up promod. For instance I'm not implementing any extra crosshair and hud additions to show if I'll deliver more or less damage when I attack. Besides, it's more than likely that my system will be completely different to yours. :)

Thanks for the input.:) Considering all the good arguments in favor of not sharing the source code yet if at all, I still think ProMod should be the foundation on which other mods play from. Even more so considering the "water-down" argument, which can make or break the community.

i think thast you should release the source code but STATE that a player may not use it without yor permission,so that there wont be alot of different versions there,you can review their version if you want and let them,if they dont listen to you and do i t anyway then just tell the moderators of the filebases like jk2files.com and they will delete it becuse they didnt follow the rules.

Archived