Home

Beat Darth Maul as Plo Koon!

Guest Mace Koon

Guest Mace Koon

Although I found it to be the most difficult challenge in the game (PSX version), I was able to defeat Darth Maul as Plo Koon. Here are some tips for doing so. Most of this is not new information, but it explains my overall stratgey.

First of all, I recommend that you first beat the game as Mace Windu. Beating the game as Mace unlocks level 14, and if you beat level 14, you receive the "ultimate lightsaber." With the ultimate lightsaber, you can destroy any non-boss enemy in one slash and the bosses are noticeably easier. I'm not sure that Darth Maul is any easier, but he might be, so I think it's better to have the ultimate lightsaver in your arsenal. (Once you win it as one character, they all have it.) In any event, it will definitely make it easier for you to fight the various droids you will encounter in this level.

The second thing you should do is make sure Plo's skill level is at 90. The more powerful he is, the greater your chances of beating Maul. Beating Maul as Plo is not for people who are new to this game, so if you don't have the ability yet to bring him to 90, then you may want to consider playing the game as an easier character first. Incidentally, this is my rating for effectivity against Maul:

1. Queen Amidala,

2. Captain Panaka,

3. Mace Windu,

4. Qui Gonn Jinn,

5. Obi Wan Kenobi,

6. Adi Gallia,

7. Darth Maul, and

8. Plo Koon.

Of all these characters, the first five are easy and the last three are HARD. (Maul would actually be easy except his health can't be raised.)

Considering how hard the game is as Plo, and how good you should be before you take this on, you may want to consider loading level 9 and winning the extra life. This way you can start level 10 with nine lives instead of only eight. This may not be necessary, or you may be extremely thankful later.

If you've been on this forum for awhile, then you've probably heard that Plo only has two effective moves: square-square-x and L2-x. This is true. Maybe some of the fancier combinations work, but I've never tried them. In fact, if you're like me, you never really bothered with the combinations at all until you got to level 10. I just slashed all the close range enemies with square-square and the long-range ones with triangle-triangle.

One of the things that makes Plo so hard is that his effective combo requires you to press two different buttons. As weak as Adi is, at least you only have to press square repeatedly. This makes it a lot harder. So before you do anything else, get used to the square-square-x combo. Make it second nature. The same goes for L2-x.

Also, I've found it's a lot more effective to attach Maul while in lock-on mode with R1. But you also have to get used to turning it off very quickly! I've also found it very effective to back up quickly while in lock-in mode, so practice holding down R2 and backing up. (Plo hops back.) So practice these moves too. (If this sounds hard, that's because it is. But if you pracice for awhile, it DEFINITELY can be done.) Once you've learned your moves, it's time to go battle!

BATTLE #1:

When Maul first attacks, you're probably not going to be able to pull off a combo. So use L2-x once or twice and then run. Maul will chase you, but he'll stop within a few seconds. When he does, lock-on and then hit him with square-square-x. If you got him, then hop back once. If not, then hop back twice or just run away. Sometimes, especially in the later battles, Maul is more likely to be tired and just stay down for a second or two and not immediately attack back. When this happens, you can do another square-square-x combination. As you get some practice, eventually you can get him into a pattern where you hit square-square-x, hop back, and repeat several times.

Incidentally, if he back you into a wall, try to either run or jump away. Of, if you have any space at all, hit him with L2-x. L2-x is not just a way to attack Maul, it's also a wayto break up what he's doing.

When you're hopping back, you'll eventually come to the edge of the screen. As you approach it, run away and try to get him into a new pattern. You may want to hit L2-s first. When you're running, try to start a new pattern where you'll have plenty of room to back up.

Fighting Maul on the stairs is very effective if he's above you because you can get off your moves but it's much harder for him to get off his. But the reserve is also true. So try to avoid fighting him where he's below you on the stairs.

Take a lot of time to practice with this first battle. Once you can get through it without losing too much health, know that you will soon beat the entire level.

BATTLE #2:

At the beginning of the second battle (which is just down the stairs from the first battle), Maul is in the bottom right hand corner and won't attach you until you approach him. If you want to fight him, then the strategies outlined in the first battle should be effective. But there is a way around him.

If you stay next to the wall on the top of the screen and move all the way to the right, Maul will not attack. Then push to the right and keep double jumping. Plo will diappear from the screen, but eventually the camera will scroll past the battle and he'll reappear. The only disadvantage to this is that there's a health and Force powerup even further to the right. It's been my experience though, that Plo will expend more health and Force in the second battle then he'll gain with these powerups. Was this intended by the programmers? Probably not. It's probably just another glitch, but for once it's a glitch that works in our favor.

BATTLE #3:

I could be wrong here, but I think that this Maul is stronger here than in any other battle. Nevertheless, there are two advantages here. The first is there's a Force powerup right before Maul comes on screen. The second is that there's a pretty wide battle field, so there's a decent amount of room to get Maul into a pattern where you attack him with square-square-x, hop back, and repeat. I also recommend that you not get the Force powerup until you're empty. This way you can hit him with L2-x as many times as possible.

BATTLE #4:

Again, I could be mistaken, but I think Maul is weakest here. What makes this hard is that you're fighting on a T-shaped ledge. The first part of the ledge is vertical, but further down it comes horizontal.

I'll start with some background. After the third battle, you can re-fill your health and Force, and the back of the third ring has an extra life. Make sure you get this life, as you may need it to finish the game! (There's also a challenge on the fourth ring, but you're either a fool or the best player ever to get it!)

There are two elements that make the fourth battle hard: 1. If you don't keep the floor behind you, Maul can knock you off the edge, and 2. It's hard to measure depth as you approach Maul down the vertical part of the "T."

When you do approach Maul, and especially if you're unsure as to distance, hit him with L2-x. Then move in with square-square-x and hop back like you otherwise would. Maul will eventually retreat to the far left side of the horizontal portion o the "T."

You may have to jump over his own eyebeam, but this is not hard. Once you've come down the vertical part of the "T," run to the *right* away from Maul. Now wait for him to shoot his eyebeam. Since you will be out of range, this won't be a problem. Now run at him and, when you're close enough, hit him with L2-x. Now hit him with square-square-x. In this part, I sometimes hop, but since Maul will not follow you as far, other times I just walk backwards. Remember, if you're in lock-on mode, when you walk backwards you're still facing your opponent.

Eventually Maul will jump back to the far end of the vertical "T." Unless you've hit him enough times, you'll have to run back up the "T" and hit him again. After a couple hits he'll jump to the far right horizontal end of the "T." Just repeat what you did when he was on the left side and he'll finally run away.

BATTLE #5:

There's a long way you have to go after the fourth battle to even reach the fifth battle, so I'll start here.

After you go up the elevator, the silver point bonus is immediately to the right in front of the elevator. Be careful that you don't walk off the edge!

Here's my pattern for getting past the electric beam ledges.

First ledge: Single jump to the second ledge (even though it may not look like you can do this), and then double jump on to the platform with the droid. Immediately block when you land on these platforms so the droids don't shoot or hit you off. After they've attacked, then get them.

Second ledge: Double jump so you're in the middle between the two beams. You will not fall. Then double jump on to the second platform with the droid.

Third ledge: Double jump on to the second ledge, then single jump on to the third ledge, and then double jump off of it.

After you get past the windmills, walk to the right and pick up the gold point increase. I recommend that you *not* pick up either any challenge or randomizer as Plo. Beating this level with 12,000 points is not a problem. If your low on points, just slash the walls and the columns in the color maze. In fact, you shouldn't leave that maze with less than 12,000 points.

After you get past the maze and the final jumping sequence, you'll be in the final fight with Maul.

As soon as you enter the room, Maul will be shooting his eyebeam at you. Try to avoid it if you can. Either stay away from it or jump over it. After his shot the beam, then move close enough so that R1 will lock on and then attack him with L2-x. Then move on with square-square-x. I found that he was very strong at the beginning of the battle but got weaker towards the end. So pay attention to how he responds to a successful square-square-x attack. You may be able to do a second or even a third one without backing up! However, I don't recall ever becing able to do more than three in a row. Also, attacks you make while he's running into the next room do count towards beating him in that room. Sometimes, with a stronger character like Qui Gonn or Obi Wan, I've been able to hit him enough times while he's running away that I can get through two rooms at once! But I've never been able to do more than two. I don't think the program will let you do that.

In the third room (of four) is both a health and Force powerup. But take them sparingly! You may want to wait until your health and/or Force are just about empty, and then re-fill. Again, this gives you maximum power against Maul.

Although this is hard, and you probably won't be able to do it in a day, if you keep at it, you WILL eventually beat him. I know, because I did.

The rewards for beating level 10 as Plo are (1) if you beat the level with at least 12,000 points, then Plo will get all the power increases and (2) you will unlock level 11. In level 11 you play as a droideka and attack 18 Naboo pilots and three Jedi in the Queen's palace. I think this is the most fun of all the unlocked levels. (I think level 13 is the worst of the lot.)

When I beat the game as Plo, his level was 9 and his skill was 90. I already had all the other Jedi at level 10, skill 100, and the three unlocked characters (Captain Panaka, Darth Maul, and Queen Amidala) at Level 10. I had the ultimate saber and had unlocked levels 12-14. However, I have not found anything special. Ki Adi Mundi is not unlocked, I do not have unlimited health, and none of the characters have laser guns except for Captain Panaka and Queen Amidala. Nevertheless, it's definitely worth it to beat it as Plo, and until I'd done so, I didn't feel that I'd *really* beaten the game.

I've written this mini-guide to help my fellow gamers who may feel they have an impossible task. Cheer up! It can be done, and if you're persistent, you WILL do it! Please feel free to re-use and re-post this message if you find any part of it useful. Good luck and may the Force be with you!

Guest Ben_Kenobi

Good Night what a post Personally I liked Warts tried and true answer "its all explained in my walk-through" LOL Hats off to ya though for taking the time to write it all.

------------------

Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people......

Guest Darth Wart

Well written and useful, dude.

I'm sure it'll help a lot of people (there are evidently more people than I thought still playing this game).

You should try Plo vs. Maul on the DC. Completely different bag of tricks you have to use for that one.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

Get your free JPB guide at:

http://jedipowerbattlesguide.homestead.com/JPB.html

Guest Mace Koon

I'm glad you liked it. You are the acknowledged master of this game. I found your walkthrough extremely useful. However, there is at least one thing I haven't found. Where is the gold point increase on level #1? I thought it was after you take the elevator ride, but I can't find it. When I get off the elevator, I drop one platform and run to the back to get the extra life. On that same level are four pipes. The first one has a challenge, the second and third ones are empty, and the fourth one has a Force increase. Please let me know if you know where it is on the PSX? Thanks!

Originally posted by Darth Wart:

Well written and useful, dude.

I'm sure it'll help a lot of people (there are evidently more people than I thought still playing this game).

You should try Plo vs. Maul on the DC. Completely different bag of tricks you have to use for that one.

Guest Hybrid_Sith

well this is the best i can explain it

it is in the area before the checkpoint before the destroyers

if u go to the bottom of the screen there are little balls sort of hanging of

underneath each one has an item one is the 2500

Guest Mace Koon

Thanks for the tip! Yes, when I looked more closely, the third "ball" after the elevator on level #1 does indeed have the gold point increase. It's hidden behind the pipe leading out to the ball. You'll miss it unless you're extremely thorough or know where to look for it. Incidentally, hidden behidn the pipe to the second ball is a red power up. This one is very convenient because on the first ball is a challenge. So you can get the challenge and get the 500 points, and then immediately recharge. So for those of you who are new, here's the order to the four balls:

1. Challenge

2. Red powerup (hidden)

3. Gold point increase (hidden), and

4. Force powerup.

Guest Darth Wart

I should add one thing, Mace.

Your comments about the usefulness of the "ultimate saber" when fighting Maul betray a lack of understanding about how this thing works, my friend. Permit the Wart to explain.

You see, the ultimate saber doesn't "kill every creature at a single blow, except boss monsters," as has been posted elsewhere.

Rather the ultimate lightsaber does 5 points of damage (after, however, negating any attack bonuses your character has). In contrast, your character usually only delivers one point of damage (but 2 for Plo -- he's "strong"). So effectively it will kill most monsters in a single blow, since most monsters are 1-3 points. An exception to this is the rolling destroyer droids, which take 6 points to be killed and therefore cannot be killed with a single blow of the ultimate saber. This explains why you have to hit these guys twice.

Now since it delivers 5 points, you'll definitely kill the other boss monsters faster, though certainly not in a single blow (this is most obvious in Ruins and Coruscant). It's definitely useful there.

But Maul is an important exception. Maul "receives" damage by HOW MANY TIMES you hit him, not with what or how powerfully. (It doesn't count as a hit unless he oomphs.) You have to hit him a certain number of times for him to move to the next room, then the next room, etc. I forget off the top of my head how many blows, but it's in my walkthrough. Once he's in the very final room, I think, he has to be hit 22 times, but again, I disremember. So the ultimate lightsaber is a waste of time when fighting Maul: it won't make the slightest difference. Though what you said about it making it easier to negotiate the few droids one encounters on this level is certainly true.

A related observation: the lightsaber powerups (both long and thick), make no difference whatsoever against Maul at any point on Level 10.

As usual, I can only guarantee the veracity of these remarks for the PSX version.

Otherwise, as I said, a well-written post.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

[This message has been edited by Darth Wart (edited May 07, 2001).]

Guest Mace Koon

Yes, I had noticed that droidekas still need two hits, but I was unaware of the specifics of any scoring system. You certainly know a lot about this game!

However, I still think that a new player should beat the game as Mace because, irrespective of its effectiveness against Maul, the ultimate saber is extremely useful in getting through the rest of the game.

On a slightly different topic, I've noticed that it's impossible to get through some levels on one life, such as Coruscant. The only way to max them out point wise is to get the checkpoint, die, and kill all the enemies again. Is this true?

Guest Darth Wart

You know, I've thought a lot about that. It's true: some levels, like Coruscant, cannot be maxed out on only one life (even if your skill was equal to the challenge) -- you must backtrack.

The thing I can't figure out is if the programmers intended us to do this, or if they simply intended us to reach the maximal score by using combos on every single monster. Since this, in my opinion, is not feasible, are they then saying that suicide is a legitimate way to accomplish one's goals?

The problem is clearest, I think, on Level One. No way you're maxing that one out without dying someplace.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

Guest Hybrid_Sith

wart?

are u saying that u must die and backtrack to max out lvl 1 on jpb?

if so this is not true i can pass it without backtracking

------------------

adventure, Excitement

a jedi craves not these things

Guest Hybrid_Sith

and i max out the lvl

sorry i didnt put this in the post above

------------------

adventure, Excitement

Guest Darth Wart

The only way I can max out level one without purposely dying and backtracking is by refusing to deflect the boss-monster's lasers back at it, and continue killing droids.

Other than that, yeah, I have to die. It sucks finishing the level just shy of the benchmark, so at that checkpoint right before the final monster I always kill myself.

If you guys don't have to, I'm impressed.

------------------

Wart

JPBDWART.jpg

Guest Hybrid_Sith

all i do is get both the 1000 point bonus and the 2500 point bonus and destroy every single cpu

the other thing is when u get to the first cpu room there is a light saber upgrade and a free life

other than that i just kill ne thing i can

------------------

adventure, Excitement

Guest Mace Koon

Yes, it's true. I too maxed out Level #1 the other day as Maul. I did have to kill some droids at the end, but it wasn't anything too bad - just so long as I killed every droid, picked up every power up and point increase, and destroyed every computer.

On another note. Since you also have JPB on Dreamcast, what's it like playing as Ki Adi Mundi? I hear it wasn't worth the fuss...

Guest Hybrid_Sith

hmm this is really starting to annoy me

i can get to the last fight with darth maul and the last part of the fight but he blocks to much and is kicking my ass

ne secrets or tips here? before i break my controller throwin it around the room

------------------

adventure, Excitement

Guest Hybrid_Sith

hmm this is really starting to annoy me

i can get to the last fight with darth maul and the last part of the fight but he blocks to much and is kicking my ass

ne secrets or tips here? before i break my controller throwin it around the room

------------------

adventure, Excitement

Guest Mace Koon

Who are you playing as? If you're playing as Plo, try my instructions which are found in the first post in this topic. I'm also thinking of writing instructions for playing as Darth Maul. I think playing as either of them is so hard that detailed and specific instructions are warranted. If you're playing as any other character, Darth Wart's guide is very helpful. If this is your first time fighting Maul, try playing as Mace. With his l2+triangle Force move, you'll beat him easily!

Guest Hybrid_Sith

oh yea sorry im playing wif plo klo

ive passed it wif everyone exept him and i can get to the very last part of darth maul but then he kicks my ass

but i guess persistance is the key

------------------

adventure, Excitement

Guest Mace Koon

Don't be greedy when playing as Plo. If your attack is unsuccessful, hop back (in r1 mode) and try again. Depending on Maul's reaction, you may want to hop back twice and/or wait for him to attack. Not every attack has to be successful. It's more important that you not incur damage than that you inflict it. You will be successful more then half the time, so if you can get away unscathed almost all the time, you'll ultimately beat Maul as Plo. Also, don't forget about l2-x if he's closing in on you. It virtually always hurts Maul and it gives you some breathing space to either launch an attack or run or hop away.

Guest Hybrid_Sith

ahahah dont WOrry man i finally finally beat maul wif plo clo

thank god i mean yay

it was sensational

i had like the tinniest health left and then he died and i was like YEEEAAAA!!!!!

ahahhaha and his secret lvl is hell cool suprisingly seeming all the rest are well crap ahah

thnx for da help PPLS

------------------

adventure, Excitement

Archived