Home

Copies sold of The Secret of Monkey Island

Lohrno

Hi, I'm doing a report for school on The Secret of Monkey Island. More specifically, why it is a classic. I was searching on the web for a little while and I haven't been able to find one bit of information...how many copies of The Secret of Monkey Island were sold?

Does anyeone here have a link to that? That would be most cool if someone did....

-=Lohrno

The chances of finding a sales numbers like that is pretty slim, as LucasArts never publishes them. Recent games (like EMI) is tracked by external sources, and you can find those numbers fairly easy, but finding anything for a 12 year old game, which was released on at least five different platforms, will be very difficult.

Please let us know if you do find it though.

You might want to try looking up Lucas Arts on the Web and writing or calling their marketing department. It is possible that they still have the statistics of Monkey Island sales. You may also want to try the marketing department of various video game stores that have been around for twelve years. They might be able to give you a ballpark figure of their own particular sales. However, you'd want to get in contact with more than one chain so that you could make comparissons to MI versus other video games at the time.

You could also do a comparative analysis, based on sales research done through different stores. For instance you could compare the sales of the Monkey Island series versus the sales of the King's Quest or Space Quest series by Sierra. With this, however, you're probably going to want to have consumer opinions that you will find in back issues of gaming magazines (check your local library for back issues or the websites of some of the more established and prestigious video/PC gaming magazines).

However:

Unless your professor/teacher is asking for specific marketing information, you should probably take a different angle with your paper or perhaps use one of MI's more recent games, that for all in tense and purposes' sake would be considered classics (i.e., CMI, because it came out a while back).

I'll tell you what, you tell me the assignment, and I can try to help you think of different angles with which to approach your writing. I don't know if I mentioned this but I have a bachelor's degree and in my field, I wrote a lot of analysis papers. I might be able to give you some tips and help you out a bit. Just let me know, okay? You can either email me, as my address is available, or if the moderators don't mind, use the board. If you use the board, I'm thinking that other folks here could also feed you some ideas on where to take your paper.

--Sea Witch who wrote two twenty pagers, and a twenty six paged paper in one semester and then managed to pull off a 3.7 G.P.A (These are my reference qualifications, just in case you're wondering). :comp9:

Archived